Freeze dried hash browns - who else likes them?

briferg

Observer
I like those from Denny’s, They use freeze-dried hash-browns, then fill them with hot water and stores them in the cooler. To cook them, they use tons of liquid butter on a 375 degree flat grill. The trick to getting them crispy, (besides making sure they aren’t over-watered when prepping) is to not bother with them for at least 5 or 6 minutes before flipping them over. If you flip too soon, the optimal crisp is lost.
I saw this thread years ago and tried these carton potatoes. They are quite good for the shelf life you get.

I have seen comments like this about places like Denny's using these. I find that interesting. They use so many servings a day I can't see the upside of rehydrating - an extra step. Decades ago I worked in a hotel dinning room. Not a Denny's but not that different. We just used huge bags of pre-grated fresh Ore-Ida hash browns. You could get them frozen also. I think their problem is predicting how much to order from SYSCO or similar, so as not to run out. At this place they just wanted to open a bag and go.

Next time I am at my local diner I am going to ask them what they use.

Edit - I looked on Google later and it seems many chain diners use dehydrated hash browns. I had no idea this was a thing. The Waffle House is selling them online too. Seems that had a lot of stores close during Covid and needed an alternative revenue stream.

Well I saw it here first when the thread got started and got some on Amazon, The are tasty. They work out good for me because I am single, food waste is common for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier