Freespirit Recreation Odyssey Tent - Any info out there? Opinions about GoFSR?

R3DDY_KILOW4TT

I have been looking at RTT's for a few months now. I came across the soon to be released FSR Odyssey which has everything I'm looking for including a roof rack of its own.

I decided to put a deposit down to pre-order one. I was hoping some video content or reviews would trickle out but haven't seen anything aside from what is on their website a short video from SEMA that didn't exactly go into depth.

Does anyone know if there's some early reviews out there from ambassadors or popular youtubers? Also, what are people's thoughts on GoFSR as a company for those who own their other products. Thanks in advance for any info!

Link to the tent in question:

pdxstinggray

Have a look at youtube. There are two video's there from SEMA 2019 that feature Odyssey.

I saw the tent in FSR office in Bend OR just after Christmas. It was the prototype, so not entirely sure if it will be the exact same as final product. Looked solid.

FSR very solid company. I see many of their tents and people I speak to are happy with them.

R3DDY_KILOW4TT

Yeah, I saw that story showing it open and close. I'm still holding out for a full blown in depth review. Just something to hold me over until it releases in April.

dstock

Explorer
It seems unlikely bedding is going to fit inside when it's closed, which is a bit of a bummer, but I guess we'll see when it comes out.

Saw one in person at their warehouse in Bend yesterday. Really nice, great quality components.
I’m looking at a soft-top due to price, but the Odyssey has me re-evaluating.

dstock

Explorer
Saw one in person at their warehouse in Bend yesterday. Really nice, great quality components.
I’m looking at a soft-top due to price, but the Odyssey has me re-evaluating.
Thanks for the info.

I'd say buy once cry once! The ease of setup is worth the extra $$.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Upnarms

I'm curious about this one as well!
Pre ordered the odessey 49, was super excited about this tent. In my opinion it's the best looking hardshell out there. The low profile design and rack was exactly what is looking for.

Finally got mine after some production delays and a reported warranty issue with the anodized aluminum finish. Got it mounted on my rhino rack pioneer platform by the company I bought it through.

I took the tent out that following weekend and discovered some issues. First issue, the mounting brackets flex a lot and use hand tightened knobs to secure. They came loose after 12 miles on dirt roads. I tightened them and they loosened again. I suspect the thin brackets contribute to this. Lock washers provided didn't matter. Ultimately I replaced these with sure heavy duty brackets and nyloc nuts made by another company and all is well.

2nd issue. When the ladder hooks into yhe inner part of the tent frame, the large hooks protrude so the door /screen rub against them if you close the door. The hooks press against the screen and will surely wear holes in the mesh over time. Ill fab a bracket on my rack to attach the ladder to to avoid this. Fsr should have had a better attachment point, as this is an obvious issue.

3rd, one of the latches (front) was riveted out of alignment. The top and bottom latches don't line up so they hook at an angle instead of straight up and down. Also, when closed the seal isn't tight along the door side. FSR told me the factory didn't put the rubber latches in the right spot. I moved them in more like I was told but it still isn't a great seal.

4th, this is probably just the nature of a low pro tent, but don't plan on keeping ANY bedding in there. It barely closes with nothing inside let alone a thin blanket.

5th, the mattress is hard. I have another brand rtt with a 3"mattress that is super comfy. This one is about 1", on top of a 2"one maybe, and it's very firm. Since I can't fit anything inside the tent, id have to use a sleeping pad and remove it each time to remedy this.

6th, the black finish on the front and back frame is turning bronze in areas and I've only had this 3 weeks.

Overall, I'm very disappointed in the execution of what seemed to be a promising tent. Quality control is bad at least on mine. Hopefully there is some kind of resolution in this matter as I have contacted them about this.

Some of these issues are inherent with a low pro tent, but the finish and alignment issue is a sign of poor quality control.

Attachments

• 20200611_132304.jpg
    20200611_132304.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 20200531_152824.jpg
    20200531_152824.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

dstock

Explorer
Pre ordered the odessey 49, was super excited about this tent. In my opinion it's the best looking hardshell out there. The low profile design and rack was exactly what is looking for.

Finally got mine after some production delays and a reported warranty issue with the anodized aluminum finish. Got it mounted on my rhino rack pioneer platform by the company I bought it through.

I took the tent out that following weekend and discovered some issues. First issue, the mounting brackets flex a lot and use hand tightened knobs to secure. They came loose after 12 miles on dirt roads. I tightened them and they loosened again. I suspect the thin brackets contribute to this. Lock washers provided didn't matter. Ultimately I replaced these with sure heavy duty brackets and nyloc nuts made by another company and all is well.

2nd issue. When the ladder hooks into yhe inner part of the tent frame, the large hooks protrude so the door /screen rub against them if you close the door. The hooks press against the screen and will surely wear holes in the mesh over time. Ill fab a bracket on my rack to attach the ladder to to avoid this. Fsr should have had a better attachment point, as this is an obvious issue.

3rd, one of the latches (front) was riveted out of alignment. The top and bottom latches don't line up so they hook at an angle instead of straight up and down. Also, when closed the seal isn't tight along the door side. FSR told me the factory didn't put the rubber latches in the right spot. I moved them in more like I was told but it still isn't a great seal.

4th, this is probably just the nature of a low pro tent, but don't plan on keeping ANY bedding in there. It barely closes with nothing inside let alone a thin blanket.

5th, the mattress is hard. I have another brand rtt with a 3"mattress that is super comfy. This one is about 1", on top of a 2"one maybe, and it's very firm. Since I can't fit anything inside the tent, id have to use a sleeping pad and remove it each time to remedy this.

6th, the black finish on the front and back frame is turning bronze in areas and I've only had this 3 weeks.

Overall, I'm very disappointed in the execution of what seemed to be a promising tent. Quality control is bad at least on mine. Hopefully there is some kind of resolution in this matter as I have contacted them about this.

Some of these issues are inherent with a low pro tent, but the finish and alignment issue is a sign of poor quality control.
Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear about your issues, hopefully they will take care of you. Keep us posted!

dstock

Explorer
Hey guys (@Upnarms ,@dstock ), any updates on your experiences with the Odessey?
I never purchased an Odyssey. However, I did just purchase a CVT Mt. Hood which I should have installed in the next couple weeks. I'll start a new thread once I have it.

BigMF

I never purchased an Odyssey. However, I did just purchase a CVT Mt. Hood which I should have installed in the next couple weeks. I'll start a new thread once I have it.

Did you get the Black Friday deal? 25% off? I ordered the CVT Shasta Hybrid this AM and got the same discount. They have no idea when it will be in stock though. Apparently, every tent in the company has been sold. Waiting on the containers from China. I was willing to wait to save over $700 and I can pick it up at the Chattanooga store since I'm in Nashville. I just felt like the Mt. Hood and Odyssey were just going to be too short for my 6'4". Plus, like the extended fly option which gives me the ability to go up and down the ladder and open the truck door without getting rained on. Add the included crossbars to carry our kayaks and it was just too good an option to pass up.

dstock

Explorer
Did you get the Black Friday deal? 25% off? I ordered the CVT Shasta Hybrid this AM and got the same discount. They have no idea when it will be in stock though. Apparently, every tent in the company has been sold. Waiting on the containers from China. I was willing to wait to save over $700 and I can pick it up at the Chattanooga store since I'm in Nashville. I just felt like the Mt. Hood and Odyssey were just going to be too short for my 6'4". Plus, like the extended fly option which gives me the ability to go up and down the ladder and open the truck door without getting rained on. Add the included crossbars to carry our kayaks and it was just too good an option to pass up.

Definitely a good deal! I did get the Black Friday deal but I got the CVT Mt. Hood with the 2 slot channels on the sides top and bottom which is not on the website yet. It's a new model so the discount was only 20% but still very worth it. It's identical to the current version except that it's about 2" taller so the ladder stores inside along with some bedding. I'm picking it up next week in Vegas. There's a few pictures of it on their Instagram and I believe they mentioned a walk around video coming on Instagram soon. I ordered mine last Wednesday so I got in a bit early on the deal. We actually have had a traditional CVT Mt. Shasta for years, it's been a good RTT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles