Free hi-lift from my dead uncle's shed, sitting 30+ yrs, safety check/refurb?

andrew61987

Observer
What should I do (beside the obvious clean/grease moving parts) to make sure this thing is safe for service? I've never owned or used this type of jack before.

20170308_180855.jpg20170308_180804.jpg

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Wire brush everything to get the rust off, check that all the parts are able to move and are not rusted together, repaint and buy a high lift rebuild kit .

andrew61987

Observer
Thats not a HiLift, its a JackAll. Spares are not the same, Otherwise same operation as HiLift.
Clean it up & oil its rubbing bits. Use it.

Be careful with it. If unloaded, its carriage may unexpectedly drop and if loaded, stay clear of the handle, it can clobber you if you are unaware of how the jack works.
I am sure YouTubes abundant of their operation.

I was just playing around with it and the carriage did drop unexpectedly once, good to hear this is normal.

Last edited:

dumprat

Adventurer
Might see if highlift springs will fit. The old cast jack alls are actually better than a highlift. Smoother function and more reliable with less lubrication.

My last one got stolen. My father still has two that still work mint even after five or six decades.

Tennmogger

Explorer
That's a classic old jack you have there. A little oil as the guys have said, and use it. Safeguard it on your vehicle or I will steal it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles