FREE BRAND NEW Thetford Electramagic 80 recirculating toilet

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
You posted that it was brand new in big letters, here is a bump to the best kind of deal.

krebsatm02

Observer
Just got this about two weeks ago. It's an M1010 CUCV which is an old military ambulance. It's on a 1 ton chevy 4x4 drivetrain. Has a dana 60 in the front and 14 bolt in the rear with a detriot and 4.56's.

My wife and I just got into expedition camping and wanted something small that could go lots of places. I've been looking at cassette toilets and understand how they empty. How does this toilet work? The only thing I could find on the website said it's good for people without a holding tank.

DSC_8152.JPG

DSC_8150.JPG

DSC_8158.JPG

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Yes, please explain how this toilet work.
I.E., can it be used ... say with a Conqueror or Adventure Trailer ... or does it have to be with a motor home with holding tank?

Thanks
D

jesusgatos

Explorer
I haven't installed my toilet yet, so I can't tell you how it works first-hand - but here's the basic idea: The toilet gets filled with several gallons of water (maybe 4? don't remember exactly), and that water gets filtered and recirculated. The minimal water consumption was the main attraction for me.

The toilet has a small built-in holding tank for solid waste, which the is separated from liquid waste/water. Thetford doesn't make any specific claims regarding the capacity, but my conversations with people that have used these toilets suggest that it can handle between 20-30 uses between dumping.

As far as dumping goes, it has a standard permanent-type toilet base, but doesn't need another holding tank because it has one built-in. I think a lot of people just plumb these toilets straight to a dump-valve. But I'm going to run the solid waste through a macerator, and then dump that slurry into a composting tank. Actually, there will be two small composting tanks mounted on/in the trailer. We'll alternate between them to give the waste time to compost. The idea is that I'll never have to deal with dumping toxic doo-doo.

Hope this information is helpful. I've done a lot of research on this topic and I'm pretty pumped on the IDEA of these Electra Magic toilets. Hope they live up to my expectations.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I had an old Electra Magic toilet in my 1971 Travco. I believe it was retrofitted to the motorhome since it came with a single tank holding system. I really liked it due to the fact that it did not require fresh water for each flush and contained the waste inside the toilet. I would prefer a mechanical version as opposed to the electric version. I know someone, perhaps Thetford made a mechanical version since I saw one for sale on Ebay once. I think it may have been marketed as a 'barn' or 'garage' toilet. It had a lever actuated pump in place of the electric one and was more of a rectangular box than a traditional toilet. But I do think the Electra Magic is superior to the standard RV toilet when it comes to water usage.
I had the Travco for about 8 yrs and I'm sure the toilet had been installed many years prior to that. I had no problems with it but I did imagine that should the electric pump fail, it could be an 'interesting' job to replace it.

voyageur

Adventurer
Is it to late...

Gotta go Gotta go gotta go right now...

I don't have a pot to piss in.

Due to a water leak (undiscovered) under our old toilet (1972 Airstream Overlander), the entire bathroom had to be removed. Due to limited funds, I have had to resort to having my wife poop in a 5 gallon drywall bucket. Apparently, the lip of the bucket is forming permanent grooves in her rear-end. Consequently when she bends over it looks like a smiling Chinaman (no disrespect to Chinese people - it just describes the appearance of the combination of things that when combined make up an unusual representation of a smiling face with slanted eyes). Also I need it badly because I spend so much time in the can, trying to pull my head of of my rectum. The other reason I need this is because we have 13 grandchildren who frequently fall into the 5 gallon bucket... :wings:

Voyageur

TxRubiRig

Guess better late, than never.

Just aquired my 1st off road trailer:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30505

This Friday, I should have my electric lift (actualy its a stablizer) to raise the RTT off the trailer lid and allow one to walk under the overhang...that overhand, is planned to be used for the privacy room....change clothes, pull out toilet, probably a few drawers on the lid to pull out for the clothes, and maybe the shower area too.

All mods will be posted when in progress and completed.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Hey guys, sorry. I just finished moving out of my house and into mah deuce, so things have been a little bit hectic. Can we add a poll to this thread so that people can vote for a winner or something?

TxRubiRig

Hey guys, sorry. I just finished moving out of my house and into mah deuce, so things have been a little bit hectic. Can we add a poll to this thread so that people can vote for a winner or something?

Its your stuff...so you make the call on whatcha wanta do

just picked up my lift/riser for the tent :wings: no promises but gonna try to install over this busy weekend for me

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I managed to locate a few pics of the deuce, do you have a build thread somewhere?
Thanks.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Much like Bella I'm doing a pop top but its a Wildernest, plans are to install a toilet into the cabinet and when it opens, the doors/lid of the cabinet will form a stall with a curtain across the front for privacy, similar to old Apache pop-up campers. We want to keep the land we enjoy on the camping trips as clean or cleaner than when we arrived, this will help, and my wife and daughter will be eternally greatful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior