Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Well, fred has sold to a new owner.

Here are a few things I learned from this build.

1. The high top was the best addition ever. Every van I'll ever own in the future will have a high top. I'm so glad I didnt go with the pop top.

2. Ujoint makes an amazing suspension kit. It's truly capable and fantastic on the street as well
If I could do it over again, I would have ordered much stiffer springs on the rear. Maybe it was the extended body, but the rear end sagged too much and rode on the bump stops from time to time.

3. Air bags are fantastic for towing, but they made for a rough ride on the road and especially rough offroad

4. These 4x4 Vans turn a LOT of heads. Everyone wants to talk to you about it and see inside.

5. I've never had a more versatile vehicle. It could carry my gear covered, sleep inside, and still get good mpg.

6. The 7 3L was a great motor, never left me stranded, and gets great mpg. It was a bit intimidating for me though. I'm not super familiar with diesels, and it made me worry a little. For those that know theirdiesels, the 7.3L is a great option. I dont think I could live with the mpg of the v10, and the 6.0 would have worried me more.

7. The truckfridge was great.

8. I would definitely do the 3/4" ply again for the floor it was a great base.

9. The kreg tool was the best tool for building cabinets and storage.

Well... that's it. thanks for following along. Next rig is a 2018 tundra. I'll be keeping it close to stock, but I'll be filming some videos about that one too. Stay tuned.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Not to rush you, but what are your plans for the Tundra? Just using it to tow a trailer? Going with a slide-in camper?

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Not a slide in camper. It will continue to tow our home (the airstream). I do plan on setting up the truck to sleep in when we dont have the airstream though. Stay tuned for more details.

Smoker

Observer
Well, fred has sold to a new owner.

Here are a few things I learned from this build.

1. The high top was the best addition ever. Every van I'll ever own in the future will have a high top. I'm so glad I didnt go with the pop top.

2. Ujoint makes an amazing suspension kit. It's truly capable and fantastic on the street as well
If I could do it over again, I would have ordered much stiffer springs on the rear. Maybe it was the extended body, but the rear end sagged too much and rode on the bump stops from time to time.

3. Air bags are fantastic for towing, but they made for a rough ride on the road and especially rough offroad

4. These 4x4 Vans turn a LOT of heads. Everyone wants to talk to you about it and see inside.

5. I've never had a more versatile vehicle. It could carry my gear covered, sleep inside, and still get good mpg.

6. The 7 3L was a great motor, never left me stranded, and gets great mpg. It was a bit intimidating for me though. I'm not super familiar with diesels, and it made me worry a little. For those that know theirdiesels, the 7.3L is a great option. I dont think I could live with the mpg of the v10, and the 6.0 would have worried me more.

7. The truckfridge was great.

8. I would definitely do the 3/4" ply again for the floor it was a great base.

9. The kreg tool was the best tool for building cabinets and storage.

Well... that's it. thanks for following along. Next rig is a 2018 tundra. I'll be keeping it close to stock, but I'll be filming some videos about that one too. Stay tuned.

Loved your posts and videos. We'll miss Fred. On #1, why did you prefer the high top over the pop top? I know it's been debated on various forums. I'm having that internal debate myself for my EB. Thanks

sixstringsteve

Explorer
The high top allows for you to stand up and use the interior space all the time. You dont have to wait for the canvas to dry if it rains, and you can store more things up there all the time since it's always up. I was on the fence too back in the day, but after getting the high top, I never once wished I had a pop top.

mvmtmkr

So glad Kels and I (and little baby Mila) got to meet you guys and see Fred/the airstream at that little burger joint in Klamath Falls en route to Bend.

Congrats again on baby girl coming soon, and hope we can all catch up on the road again in the future. Thanks for being so friendly and open, you guys are my favorite kind of people...keep it up :)

Adam & Kels

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Likewise, it was great to meet you. Im back in the toyota family again, and its nohere near as useful as the van, but i sure dig it.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Steve,

Not sure how I have missed all of the recent posts here, my subscription notification seems to be acting up lately. Regardless, sorry to hear that Fred is gone, but glad to have an update on what you guys are doing. I have not been on your YouTube channel lately, so will try to catch up soon. Like many others, I have enjoyed following your adventures, even before TMWE existed (Toyota & Utah Adventure days)

Cheers

P.S. Definitely turn comments off, for your own videos and everyone else's. I have not read a YT comment if 5-6 years.

finboy

Any chance the footage of the ujoint install will ever be published, maybe a partnership with @ujoint ? Your videos were easily the most comprehensive online.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I have about 1tb of raw footafw to go through. Part of me really wants to finish the build series the other part of me knows im mever going to find a spare 200 hours to finish it. As much as id love to finish editing those videos, i dont think its going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles