Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

djbonsu

Adventurer
Check ebay for a Ford EVTM for your year van. It will help tremendously with those electrical gremlins. I can scan some pages and email them if you need to. I have 2000 van tho

derjack

Adventurer
GP relais shouldn't be to hard to get to. On an IDI it sits closest to the fire wall - first to get to after opening the dog house. PSD can be different thought. On an IDI the GPR gets Power (~40A!) from the starter relay, which makes sense as this is a circuit with high power (to the starter) running.

In my case #7 fuse is popping, though it this fuse is related to 3 different things (mpls, pcm, ?). If mpls is not working correctly, ignition switch will NOT send power to starter (suggesting trans is not in P/N) therefore starter relay gets no power, therefore no GP, etc etc

Not sure if this helps for youre case. I personally would not mess with the GP circuit and bring it back to stock conditions! Who cares if they circle for 5 sec? This is pseudo “I know better than Ford engineers thing“ IMHO. The amount of GP wear is not just reflected to quantity of circles but mainly to heat. GP heat is related to amps/ohm.
My 0.002ct

sixstringsteve

Explorer
As much as I'd like to trick this out with 80/20, I don't have an unlimited budget. :( plus none of the walls are very straight. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use a lot of 80/20 like the high dollar builds here, but it simply isn't in the budget.

I'm curious how you have liked The ST MAxx's on the van. I've got a E-150 that is my family hauler - this van will never see a 4WD conversion - the most it will see is a locker - and that's only if I find that tires and the factory LSD aren't enough. You seem to favor the ST Maxx - just wondered what you reasoning was, and if it has held up your expectations. I'm trying to get our van ready for a trip to Colorado next year that hopefully will see some mild jeep roads

Thanks in advance

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I'm curious how you have liked The ST MAxx's on the van. I've got a E-150 that is my family hauler - this van will never see a 4WD conversion - the most it will see is a locker - and that's only if I find that that tires and the factory LSD aren't enough. You seem to favor the ST Maxx - just wondered what you reasoning was, and if it has held up your expectations. I'm trying to get our van ready for a trip to Colorado next year that hopefully will see some mild jeep roads

Thanks in advance

I LOVE my ST MAXX tires. They're my favorite A/Ts (though I'd be fine with KO2s as well). There are only 2 or 3 A/T tires that have a true 3 ply sidewall. I use my sidewalls a lot when offroad, and I wanted to make sure they could stand up to the abuse. I've been very happy with these tires. I put these tires on my last 3 rigs and I really like them in all conditions. They're heavy and a little bit loud, but they're great in sand, snow, rock, dirt, and pavement. They've been wearing quite well for me, traction is great, and they've never left me stranded.

finboy

Looking good, have enjoyed the latest episodes on the bed install and journey into BC. Are you guys planning to do,e back to Canada again? Lots to see in the Alberta side of the Rockies.

tmo2460

Observer
I swapped the trapezoid headlights for some sealed beam LED headlights and I LOVE the look and the improved visibiltiy.

Looks great. That same swap is on my list, yours turned out really nicely. With the black bezels/grill I think it really fits the look of the rest of the van.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Looking good, have enjoyed the latest episodes on the bed install and journey into BC. Are you guys planning to do,e back to Canada again? Lots to see in the Alberta side of the Rockies.

Thanks. Yes, we'd like to travel to more of Canada in the future. The limited data plans there make working tough, so we're a bit limited by that. If I can find an economical way to work from Canada, we could easily spend an entire year there. We loved Canada.

Hyperdrive

Nice! That is my commute home, I love that drive. And yes, the worst year for bugs I can ever remember. If you get to Stanley or hit McCall again, look me up. I would love to show you around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles