Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Looks wicked! Great choice on the high top. Were you able to shoot an install video? and you have to tell me how to get a hat like that :)

The hats are sold out, I'm trying to get more. I was initially going to install it myself, but I ran out of time. I ended up buying it from Fiberine and having a 3rd party install it. The 3rd party has asked that I don't mention who they are, but they did a great job. We did film a few videos around that time. We're playing catch-up right now. I'm betting they'll be live in 3 weeks or so.

GNTY

Adventurer
The hats are sold out, I'm trying to get more. I was initially going to install it myself, but I ran out of time. I ended up buying it from Fiberine and having a 3rd party install it. The 3rd party has asked that I don't mention who they are, but they did a great job. We did film a few videos around that time. We're playing catch-up right now. I'm betting they'll be live in 3 weeks or so.

I'd love to have one if you end up getting more. I have my Fiberine top now just trying to finish a roof rack before final install on the van but would love to see some footage of yours when your done editing and have them up so i'll check back and keep and eye out. Thanks!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
20161122_165611_zpsqfpgylgh.jpg

Is it just coincidental that the side of the building says "Fiberine" on it?
Looks **************!!

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well... we were thinking of selling this to get a transit, but there are a few issues.

1) transits aren't rated to tow much, despite having a powerful 3.5L ecoboost
2) 4x4 conversions are EXPENSIVE and are only available in a 2" lift - still not enough ground clearance
3) Fred is awesome, and he'll go places no transit can go.

Yeah yeah, I know I'm late, but I wanted to make sure the info was here in case others were looking for it too.

#1 7100lbs towing, 4500lbs payload seems pretty dang good for a Transit.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitcommercial/specifications/towing/
Transit 350, RWB, Low Roof Van
Wheelbse [in.] 129,9
GVWR [lbs.] 9500
Engine 3.5L
Ratio 3,73
GCWR [lbs.] 12600
Max. Conv. Hitch Trailer Tow Cap. [lbs.] 7100
Payload [lbs.] 4500

Compare with an E350 at 7300-9700lbs towing (from the data I've seen so far), and maybe similar payload(the data has vanished from my sources and BodyBuilder doesn't show it for the diesels).

#2 Just wait....... :ylsmoke:

#3 Fred is indeed awesome. It'll be interesting to see how well a proper Transit 4x4 does in mud and snow, being ~1000lbs lighter than an E350(curb weight).

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Well, our trailer has a gvwr of 8800 lbs, so a transit is out of the question for us. It may be a great option for some, but it would require us to downsize our house too much. So for us, Fred is the perfect van. I have no doubt that MGmetalworks will build a sweet transit one day. They'll be a great option for a lot of people. Even the dually 3500 sprinters Max out at 7500 lbs, so those aren't an option for us either.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Well, our trailer has a gvwr of 8800 lbs, so a transit is out of the question for us. It may be a great option for some, but it would require us to downsize our house too much. So for us, Fred is the perfect van. I have no doubt that MGmetalworks will build a sweet transit one day. They'll be a great option for a lot of people. Even the dually 3500 sprinters Max out at 7500 lbs, so those aren't an option for us either.

I haven't been able to find the towing capacity data for Fred. One link said 10,000lbs--is that correct?

gwayms

Observer
Very nice rig, ours is similar. Our's is a 97 and no diesel, but same color.

Van Bikes - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• Van Bikes - Copy.jpg
    Van Bikes - Copy.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 40

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Van looks sweet! I really like the high top.
I'm curious about the total combined weight, when you get it fully loaded for the trip that is.
The pic with the airstream makes me cringe, not a relaxing way to travel (for me) and wouldn't get any better with a transit that's for sure.
I've seen way to many of these setups (no not e350 vans specifically) in yard sale configuration all over the freeway.

That said, out here in Idaho, we can pull another trailer behind the Airstream. I have friends that pull travel trailers with car trailers/boats/ atv trailers behind them all the time. I don't even like passing them on the freeway....:Wow1:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
The van is pretty light inside. We have the top (240 lbs), (2) 30lb bikes, (2) 25 lb packrafts, then about 100-150 lbs of extra stuff. So I'd say about 500 lbs of cargo. The Airstream is rated at 8800 lbs GVWR, but we don't think we're anywhere near that weight since we don't have much heavy stuff in it. Last time we weighed it it was 6500lbs empty. I highly doubt we have 2300 lbs of stuff in here. We need to weigh it again now that we have it all loaded up. Airstreams tow extremely well. A stock dually cummins would be the ideal way to tow an Airstream, but I don't see us ever going back to a truck after having the utiliity of a van.

phenopd

Observer
Your van looks great. Mine is an RB and I love the high-top, makes a lot of difference. Makes it so much more usable.
Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles