Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

sixstringsteve

Explorer
^ best solution yet. I'm committed to mounting them inside the van. I appreciate the brainstorming, but I'm sold on keeping them inside. When your mounting solutions is where your bikes will be 100% of the time for the next several years, you approach it very differently from simply getting them to the trailhead after work.

screwball48

Explorer
The real question is how are you planning to construct your bed platform once the top has been installed? 2x4 and plywood, unistrut, 80/20, or a combination of methods?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
TBD. I need to do more research. 80/20 would be ideal, but it's expensive and I don't know where to buy small chunks of it. Being that we travel full-time, we don't always know where to go in each city for little things like that.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
We have memorized that article. He's a huge hero of ours, and not just because of his van (which is perfect). If we could do a 144"WB dually 4x4 sprinter like that, it'd be the dream. We don't have the funds though, so we'll make do with what we have.

stormlover

Adventurer
If you make it out to Arizona to mtb, particularly Flagstaff and Sedona, give me a holler. I'll hook you up on rides or good spots to camp if you need it.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Thanks! We're headed to Phoenix and Tucson for the winter. We've been dying to ride both, but we're too late this year. When does it get too cold to ride in Sedona, and when does Flagstaff thaw out?

screwball48

Explorer
80/20 is sometimes available through craigslist. Ebay is also a source. You can contact them directly through ebay and have them custom cut the sizes you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stormlover

Adventurer
Thanks! We're headed to Phoenix and Tucson for the winter. We've been dying to ride both, but we're too late this year. When does it get too cold to ride in Sedona, and when does Flagstaff thaw out?

Flagstaff is good until the first snow. Otherwise, April/May is when the higher elevation rides open up. Sedona is good all winter long, unless it snows followed by warm days and cold nights. That turns the place into mush. Otherwise, the trails do not stay muddy. Rain is good. The riding doesn't suck in Tucson either. The best riding in Phoenix IMO is Brown's Ranch and Gold Canyon. Or, Goat Camp if you like the gnar. The section of AZ trail between Picketpost and Kelvin is stellar as well. Black Canyon Trail north of Phoenix is also good with tons of camping options nearby.

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
Current plans for fred:
add a fiberine high top (24" bubble top with windows and plywood reinforcement)
mount spare in original location

Just curious, what are the logistics of the top acquisition and install? Having it shipped to you from fiberine? Are you having it painted to match?

Also, on another topic. I think your wrong about the value of these vans. At least the correctly optioned ones, 7.3 and v10 will hold their value.
People are always going to want something that can tow, is more robust, and can go further off road, and that's just something the euro vans can't do. (believe me I want to try out an ecoboost transit too).

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Yes, and Yes. We'll have Fiberine ship it to us, install it ourselves, then have to get it painted to match. It's not going to be as cheap as a lot of people think.

Yes, and Yes. We'll have Fiberine ship it to us, install it ourselves, then have to get it painted to match. It's not going to be as cheap as a lot of people think.

i had a fiberine quote of ~$2000 for the top, and another $1700 or so for the install. I'm local to them (1/2 hour away) but the top, tax, and install was gunna be about $4000 all told. i kinda gasped, and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

i think that was for a 24" top.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
i had a fiberine quote of ~$2000 for the top, and another $1700 or so for the install. I'm local to them (1/2 hour away) but the top, tax, and install was gunna be about $4000 all told. i kinda gasped, and haven't pulled the trigger yet.

i think that was for a 24" top.

Yep. I have 5k into buying,shipping and installing the a 24" on my van.
It's been worth every single penny so far....

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I wish I could get a bubble top for $2k. I want windows, which brings the price up quite a bit, but I think it's going to be worth it. Did you guys get the wood-infused top? I'm thinking it'd be good to add, provided it doesn't add TOO much weight. I'd love a little solar panel and a fantastic fan. Obviously wood isn't needed for that, but I'd rather have it overbuilt than underbuilt (unless it's SUPER heavy).

I wish I could get a bubble top for $2k. I want windows, which brings the price up quite a bit, but I think it's going to be worth it. Did you guys get the wood-infused top? I'm thinking it'd be good to add, provided it doesn't add TOO much weight. I'd love a little solar panel and a fantastic fan. Obviously wood isn't needed for that, but I'd rather have it overbuilt than underbuilt (unless it's SUPER heavy).

I didn't buy a top. I'm still looking at junkyard inventory online for one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles