Fraud/scam attempt via this forum.

adam88

Explorer
Unfortunately this is very common online and many people do get scammed. Imagine if the photo had been legit and he hadn't sounded so dumb. Even people with a long post history cannot really be trusted because their account could be hacked. For what it is worth, scammers almost NEVER use paypal because it has all kinds of anti-scammer features built in and requires authentication to sign up. Also, if you get scammed via paypal, you can get your money back. When it is obviously a scam is if someone isn't using paypal.... like if they want Western Union or any other kind of payment it is probably a scam. One thing I have done before if I am not sure it is a scam is ask for it to be delivered COD.

tjalward

Observer
I almost got scammed this same way over on TacomaWorld. Same person even, that Robert Sonnhalter or whatever, from Ohio. I caught on, the person that PM'd me originally wasn't a TW member, all it included was a wacky email address, and all the email correspondence was weird, they didn't want regular paypal or standard payments that have buyer protection, etc. It went on in communication for a while before I called him out and he got belligerent. Unfortunately, the scammers probably catch lots of people by pasting images taken from google.

Is there a way to check if a particular picture is on Google images somewhere, like a direct lookup or something? Or do you have to search keywords and hope you can find the matching image?

shade

Is there a way to check if a particular picture is on Google images somewhere, like a direct lookup or something? Or do you have to search keywords and hope you can find the matching image?

With Chrome, it's as simple as right-clicking on the image, and selecting "Search Google for image".

Different issue, but James' responses to spammers may give you some entertaining ideas for dealing with scammers.

badfysh

Adventurer
I posted the same issue a couple months back when this sonnhalter character did the same thing regarding my search for an RRC bumper.

I was immediately skeptical that some one would have a new bumper, be selling it, and be selling for super low.

Unsolicited referral with an email. Showed me a picture of a brand new rovertym bumper that a quick Google search found was someone else's photo from years back.

A Google search of Sonnhalter also returns similar stories on current and other forums.

Last edited:

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
^ Clearly a spam post. What's your angle, mvh?

In Danish, "mvh" stands for "Med Venlig Hilsen" (pretty sure there is very little difference between that in Danish, and the same in Swedish or Norwegian).
And it literally translates to "With Friendly Regards" (Yeah, literal translations suck).

The typed-out one is more formal than the "mvh" one, obviously.

shade

In Danish, "mvh" stands for "Med Venlig Hilsen" (pretty sure there is very little difference between that in Danish, and the same in Swedish or Norwegian).
And it literally translates to "With Friendly Regards" (Yeah, literal translations suck).

The typed-out one is more formal than the "mvh" one, obviously.
Ok ... but I still don't trust that @Verkstad guy. He's a shifty one, always out in the garage, doing electrical things.

I'm not sure that's even his real name.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Ok ... but I still don't trust that @Verkstad guy. He's a shifty one, always out in the garage, doing electrical things.

I'm not sure that's even his real name.

Hehe, okay, I grant you that that is really shifty.

Edit: Other useless knowledge: "Verkstad" (in Danish: Værksted) means a workshop/garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles