Frankenstein Build - Need help with T-Case Shifter

skumancer

2015 Ranger PX | 2008 E350
Hello,

I have a build thread going on, but I need your help in figuring out how to properly get the transfer case linkage set up.

My build is a 2008 E350 5.4L with a 4R75W that was recently rebuilt and converted to 4x4 with a short 31-spline output shaft, then mated to an RF-3L3P-7A040-AB adapter, and then a BW1356 transfer case. Choices were driven mostly because of local availability (I'm in Panama, Central America), and because I needed the parts fast.

Now I'm dealing with the shifter linkage not matching up properly...so I'm looking for help.

My two choices as I see it are:

1. Create a custom shift linkage that is similar to what U-Joint and other outfitters create, that has no detents.
2. Find the right shifter detent plate Ford created for the AODE + BW1356 combo (not easy to find in Panama).

What are you thoughts? First time converting something to 4x4 and I'm not sure how to proceed.

IMG_7353 Large.png1650524133621.png

Raul

Adventurer
I gave up trying to find the right linkage on my 2010 5.4 with NP271 transfer. I just use a piece of pipe that articulates on the floor and connects to the link you are holding on your picture. It was supposed to be a temporary deal, but it has worked well for 5 years. Another advantage is that the shift bar is close to the seat.

1650661938849.png

skumancer

@Raul this is a great idea, thank you for letting me know. Do you happen to have any other shots of your setup? Any shots underneath?

Also, have you had any trouble with the T-case falling out of gear without a detent plate?

Raul

Adventurer
@Raul this is a great idea, thank you for letting me know. Do you happen to have any other shots of your setup? Any shots underneath?

Also, have you had any trouble with the T-case falling out of gear without a detent plate?
Never have it got out of gear. Not having the detent makes a little bit tricky to stop on 4Hi without going to N, but it's not a big deal.
On my new van I'll try to adapt a factory set-up, but If I can not get the right parts or if its going to cost $500 I'll repeat the setup.
A bracket that puts the pivot point furthere down than the floor may work better.

1650830249083.png

skumancer

Never have it got out of gear. Not having the detent makes a little bit tricky to stop on 4Hi without going to N, but it's not a big deal.
On my new van I'll try to adapt a factory set-up, but If I can not get the right parts or if its going to cost $500 I'll repeat the setup.
A bracket that puts the pivot point furthere down than the floor may work better.

View attachment 718713
Thanks for this. I think I have all the parts needed to get my setup. I’ve got a bracket that I’ll make a copy of and make a little longer, then use a shifter mechanism from an old F150/Bronco. I think this will get me what I need, the shifter rod will just have to have an extreme/funny bend to get it to the place I need it, which is basically where you have a hole.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
This is a twin stick setup on an Fj40, but I’m sharing it for inspiration… in case you have any last details to figure out. Heim joints can help avoid slop and binding… as well as being adjustable.7AB02679-096F-4048-8C01-F5350120B401.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94