Frame Strength, Who to Believe! The RV Sales Guy or the New Truck Dealer? Maybe Neither?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
All I've seen is "available onboard scales" and I didn't see the opton on FORD.COM when building a 2023. Might be like the 2kw inverter that's included trims above XLT

This is what I was going off:
Screenshot 2023-01-11 110446.png

But you're right. I didn't see it as a listed option for XLT or even Lariat on the US or CDN build and price?

Saw this when I was googling too...

Listed as Late availability so maybe they haven't listed it on the build and price yet?

tacollie

Glamper
There are sensors at each corner. The taillights works the same way as bars for a battery indicator and will flash if the truck is overloaded.
It's measuring squat. Pretty easy to fool that with aftermarket springs or airbags. I wonder how it would work on a truck like mine that's leveled. Ford's literature says it's only approximate and could be off by more than 100 lbs. I'm skeptical they could use it to void the warranty but you'd have to have enough money to fight Ford it over it.

Alloy

This is what I was going off:
View attachment 760345

But you're right. I didn't see it as a listed option for XLT or even Lariat on the US or CDN build and price?

Saw this when I was googling too...

Listed as Late availability so maybe they haven't listed it on the build and price yet?

I spoke to my buddy at FORD. He said it's an option......so is 500hp and 1200ft/lbs. My 1985 F250 with a 6.9L was 170hp and 310ft/lbs.

Jurfie

Adventurer
This is not rocket science if you passed Grade 8 this is simple.

Just because someone passed Grade 8 does not mean they can do simple calculations. Believe me: I teach a post-secondary course that requires VERY basic mathematics. Sometimes it is just a matter of people forgetting and needing a refresher, and sometimes it is a case of "HTH did you get this far in life?"

nickw

Adventurer
View attachment 759525
This was posted recently on the “Overlandy Meme Thread“. Having seen a video of his in the past and thinking it was a well-built Tundra, I found these two videos about how this happened that are quite detailed and pretty interesting as to the cause and results of the event (along with being typical Youtuby clickbait epic journey stuff).

The first video (chapter four, part two) shows the actual incident that bent the frame starting shortly after the 17 minute mark. The second video (chapter five) recaps the issue, but then goes on to show him limping this screwed up Tundra up over Lippincott Pass (during the night and with a fast leaking, radiator!) into Death Valley where he gets picked up.

The owner appears to have built this rig to be a combination overland vehicle, and a desert racer. Early in the chapter 4 video, he speaks about the suspension allowing him to bomb over the road, and mentioned he’s going 65 mph in one stretch. You’ll see the frame bending incident was him mis-gauging a dip in the road because he was going so fast. He also mentions that he can’t believe how well the truck handles the camper despite the camper’s 2200lb weight! I suspect this guy is/was more than double his trucks payload, not to mention it’s a crew cab and the camper sits farther back.

He sure made a lot of questionable decisions, and he does admit to everything that happened being fully his fault, but he doesn’t address the role speed and weight played in the problems he had. I pretty much think he’s an idiot, but I have some grudging admiration for how he got himself out of the fix he got into, and the toughness of the poor Tundra.

What a *$(#ing drama queen, sitting in front of the camera wiping the tears from his eyes with his woah is me attitude....who has time for that crap when you think your life is on the line?

I'm sure I'll get 'boomer' comments (I'm not one) but I get a bit tired of these documentary type films based on epic situations of their own stupidity. I guess I just grew up in an era, small town, old school crew crew that would a) think about how they are loading up rigs and b) drive like their life depended on it in situations where it may and c) not make some drawn out docuseries about their dumb mistake. He could of EASILY rolled that truck after hitting that G-out and getting swapped out, easily....is there any reason to be doing what, 70 on a road like that?

I kind of feel like sometimes there is this weird passive aggressive subconscious thing where people put themselves in situations sorta knowing they are going to create stress and create a situation and "story", of course they get applauded for surviving and conquering and being cool under pressure......while folks like the Turtle Expedition can survive 50 years of travel without any such drama, no BS to get people amped up and little press because of it.

Sorry - rant over, that was a bit harsh (just being honest)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What a *$(#ing drama queen, sitting in front of the camera wiping the tears from his eyes with his woah is me attitude....who has time for that crap when you think your life is on the line?

I'm sure I'll get 'boomer' comments (I'm not one) but I get a bit tired of these documentary type films based on epic situations of their own stupidity. I guess I just grew up in an era, small town, old school crew crew that would a) think about how they are loading up rigs and b) drive like their life depended on it in situations where it may and c) not make some drawn out docuseries about their dumb mistake. He could of EASILY rolled that truck after hitting that G-out and getting swapped out, easily....is there any reason to be doing what, 70 on a road like that?

I kind of feel like sometimes there is this weird passive aggressive subconscious thing where people put themselves in situations sorta knowing they are going to create stress and create a situation and "story", of course they get applauded for surviving and conquering and being cool under pressure......while folks like the Turtle Expedition can survive 50 years of travel without any such drama, no BS to get people amped up and little press because of it.

Yep blow up a expensive rig to get Youtube clicks. Make it a survival drama and you might make enough clams to cover your stupidity cost.

rruff

Explorer
....people put themselves in situations sorta knowing they are going to create stress and create a situation and "story"
The world has definitely gotten weirder the last few years... maybe decade.

On the bright side, he isn't making money on those videos... less than 1,000 watches on both of them.

dstefan

Nah, it was just about right! I think a lot of folks are getting sick of the youtubers publicizing and therefore trashing the great places we’ve been going for years after putting significant exploration effort into finding them.

Building a 9,000lb desert racer and going that fast in that place is just plain reckless. He deserved what happened. I’m just a bit sorry to have given him more publicity.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Sadly, I watched that drivel too. Don’t drink late at night kids, you make bad choices on YouTube!

having spent nearly 25 years in California now, I know that … YOU ARE NEVER ALONE! I think long before destroying my entire rig by over heating it, I would have talked to one of the several people that passed by during this saga and asked them for a ride to help. Clearly he could call out, as he magically got a friend to show up at the ranger station, after driving for miles on pavement!

Remember when Death Valley breakdown stories used to come from the rescuers, not the victim? I remember the story of the Land Rover group and “Cadillac Man”…. You’re supposed to get in trouble by being under-prepared, not over-equipped and under-aware.

nickw

Adventurer
Sadly, I watched that drivel too. Don’t drink late at night kids, you make bad choices on YouTube!

having spent nearly 25 years in California now, I know that … YOU ARE NEVER ALONE! I think long before destroying my entire rig by over heating it, I would have talked to one of the several people that passed by during this saga and asked them for a ride to help. Clearly he could call out, as he magically got a friend to show up at the ranger station, after driving for miles on pavement!

Remember when Death Valley breakdown stories used to come from the rescuers, not the victim? I remember the story of the Land Rover group and “Cadillac Man”…. You’re supposed to get in trouble by being under-prepared, not over-equipped and under-aware.
Well said, now I wanna know about the Cadillac Man, please share!

nickw

Adventurer
Yep blow up a expensive rig to get Youtube clicks. Make it a survival drama and you might make enough clams to cover your stupidity cost.
I wonder how much these 'influencers' actually spend....he calls out several of his sponsors:

"Presented by"; Norweld

"In association with"; FWC

Whatever he does spend, he can write off as business expense....

The conspiracy theory in me thinks these things are sometimes staged, he wouldn't have had much of a story at least not anything guys haven't done 100 times before in old pickup trucks, if he hadn't been a knucklehead.

nickw

Adventurer

Right? From his video you'd think he's Tom Sheppard 350 miles from a human in the middle of the Sahara by himself without means for rescue.....I'm SURE he had cell coverage in places on some of those mountains and he obviously had a InReach he could have reached out to a friend and gotten a rescue, it would have been $$$$$, but 100% an option.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
The conspiracy theory in me thinks these things are sometimes staged, he wouldn't have had much of a story at least not anything guys haven't done 100 times before in old pickup trucks, if he hadn't been a knucklehead.

Yah, it’s all really just another mini version of “reality tv,” just like all of the ‘look at me, look at me’ fake adventure docudramas that couch crushing viewers have become addicted to on streaming platforms like Discovery+, etc… ?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Right? From his video you'd think he's Tom Sheppard 350 miles from a human in the middle of the Sahara by himself without means for rescue.....I'm SURE he had cell coverage in places on some of those mountains and he obviously had a InReach he could have reached out to a friend and gotten a rescue, it would have been $$$$$, but 100% an option.

I’ve never been to Ubehebe Crater without at least 6 other cars in the parking lot.

In addition, pulling out a radiator and crimping off a few damaged tubes isn’t exactly difficult. I’ve done it several times out of economic necessity… but I guess everyone thinks differently.

nickw

Adventurer
Yah, it’s all really just another mini version of “reality tv,” just like all of the ‘look at me, look at me’ fake adventure docudramas that couch crushing viewers have become addicted to on streaming platforms like Discovery+, etc… ?
It's insulting to our intelligence to be honest - watching fake documentaries like that. Maybe I am getting old (I am) but I also remember a time when Discovery channel showed stuff that was interesting and legit and TLC aka "THE LEARNING CHANNEL" had actual stuff you could learn about vs Honey Booboo and 600 lb life, etc, I remember watching shows about real interesting stuff! Too much to ask for these days I guess.

Just saw this on the banner here on Expo too:

900,000k, 26 years, all over the world and somehow figured out how to not smash his truck into smithereens 200 miles into his trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior