Frame recall opinion sought

ADVNOMAD

My 03 TRD 4x Dbl Cab is in great shape and totally stock when I purchased it in 2016 with 103k. Great shape other than the frame of course that was Toyota dealer inspected and "sprayed" in 2015. Now my concern is how much do I put into it, time & $$? No big mod plans, mostly interior comfort stuff. hope to keep it mostly stock and drive it for a long time. Or do I start planning to trade for another DD-wannabe overland vehicle? What would you do?

dumprat

Adventurer
I bought an 08 a couple of months ago. The frame looks ok. I am going to scrape it, paint it and the oil the hell out of the inside. Can't hurt.

Happykamper

Explorer
It's been inspected and treated !!! Have at it !!! You have a great rig why change :). I bought a 2004 from on here and had a lot of surface rust on frame ...no that was not disclosed :). But I bought anyway !! Turns out it was just that surface rust ?...all better now and modded out to a supercharged overland monster now !!!

ADVNOMAD

It came from New York and there is evidence of rust where it was not coated like the UCA's. I have complete records of all the maintenance done at the original Toyota dealer since new including tire replacement. Pretty hard to pass up. My gut tells me to keep it stock and drive it till it breaks in half.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Build it and enjoy. Frame, if I remember right is covered for 15 years from date of first use under special policy. If you like, you can PM me the VIN and I can confirm that or just call your local dealer and have them check.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Build it and enjoy. Frame, if I remember right is covered for 15 years from date of first use under special policy. If you like, you can PM me the VIN and I can confirm that or just call your local dealer and have them check.

That date for the 15 years is going to be up VERY soon. That said, the 2nd gen doublecab is the best Tacoma ever. I'd take it to another dealer and get the frame inspected again before the 15 years is up for peace of mind.

Last edited:

ADVNOMAD

I'm thinking have my local dealer here in MS. Have one more look at it before the 15 is up as mentioned. Can't hurt. Then live with what ever the outcome is.

marathonracer

Adventurer
I'very never heard of the 15 year thing. I had a taco frame replaced and my 1st Gen tundra inspected and sprayed. So can I go back with my tundra before the 15 year mark for another inspection even if the service campaign is over?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'very never heard of the 15 year thing. I had a taco frame replaced and my 1st Gen tundra inspected and sprayed. So can I go back with my tundra before the 15 year mark for another inspection even if the service campaign is over?

You'd have to look into it. I'm not sure if there is a different warranty offered on Tundras of that era. My mechanic has a 2000 Taco, and he took it in to his local dealer in 2011. At that point they said "you're too late, it's only a ten year deal". Last year his frame broke and only then did he find out they had extended it to 15 years. His dealer never told him it had been extended on subsequent visits. As you can imagine, there is a "discussion" ongoing between he and Toyota.

bkg

Explorer
Never heard of 15 years... Ever.

Best advise... Only buy vehicles from below the mason-dixon line. Ironically, get into tx, nm, AZ... They tend to be more reasonably priced as well.

vicali

Adventurer
Never heard of 15 years... Ever.

Toyota Canada put it in the CRC letter that went out to all 2005-2009 Tacoma owners.

Op, your 03 is in the first gen campaign- I believe you are out of time unless you have the paperwork from your inspection and crc undercoating. Is it rusting? If it was treated in 2015 you should be good to go.

Our 2005 had its frame replaced in 2015. It was 10 years old, 185k km, on its second owner, and valued by the dealership at $11,500.

Toyota Canada did $12,000 of work to replace it. Billed to Dana actually. It's a new truck underneath, and the worst part is my plan to replace it with a newer Tacoma is going to have to wait..

4runnerteq

Explorer
We have a frame on order for I believe an 03 Tundra and just finished a 03 Taco. You have to go by the VIN, and on the ones that have the SPA-Special Policy Adjustment-its 15 years from the original new purchase date. DOFU-Date of First Use. Not when the recall was done or inspected. Have a dealer pull a vehicle inquiry to check if your vehicles qualify.

austintaco

Explorer
I bought my 03 at the end of 03 in TX and its been in TX its entire life, except for trips across the US. My understanding, from talking to a dealer, is that because it was a state that is not prone to rust is that it did not require an inspection. However, I need to check it soon, because the 15 year window is coming up.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I think if you own one of the questionable vehicles (my '96 4Runner and '99 Land Cruiser are not on "the list"I believe?), no matter where you live, I'd have Toyota look into it. If I was offered a replacement frame for free, I'd take it in a second. It would mean all kinds of new shiny parts under my truck at no cost!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz