frame or flat bed mount?

tamangel

Adventurer
just thinking here for future purchase .. What would be best choice for camper box mount on a truck..Thinking 5 ton mil-surplus long bed. Would buy as cab/chassis unit and then have box constructed for either frame mounting or flat bed mounting. Height (preferably no taller than 12 or so, from ground to box top) is a consideration so didn't want to go with stock mil bed already installed. Vehicle box could be taken off if necessary (only 'necessity' to me would be truck switch for some reason) but generally would be considered a permanent mounting.

Just wondering if there is a preference for either as far as strength.

I like this box for consideration but pretty heavy (let alone big $'s..) at max of 17.6K lbs..:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hGR8kOPT7U maybe a lighter same-type, available somewhere..

Mike W

Last edited:

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Frame or bed will be functionally similar with similar height. Frame could be lighter. With a bed you can removed your cargo and still have a functional bed. if you plan to never use a bed then do the frame. I'd use extreme caution in building any sort of 3 or 4 point mount (for one thing it will be taller) these are great if you have an engineering degree and years of experience building them, otherwise really bad idea. Lots information on this portal about potential benefits and failures: e.g. Whiteacorn GXV 4(?) point mount failure and Hackney Basecamp Expedition Vehicle frame failure. I suggest a simpler, but still flexible mount that allows the truck frame to flex and the cargo to NOT flex. You check my blog (in signature) for one way to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke