Frame mounted rock sliders

TripleD513

Does anyone know where I can find FRAME mounted rock sliders or know of someone who can make them for me around the NYC vicinity? Those body mounted rock sliders like the VTS sliders aren't cutting it. Thanks...

ILIAN

Adventurer
What is wrong with the VTS rock sliders? They are probably built stronger than the body part they mount to but you need to take it easy on them. I'm not aware of anybody making frame mounted sliders sorry but if you were to make them stronger than the VTS sliders they would be 5x heavier and you are going to have to weld to the frame which would damage the factory paint on it.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
I recommend LoD's rock sliders

http://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2007-2016-jeep-jk-products/jeep-jk-rock-sliders.html

srs1004_1.jpg

TripleD513

There is a lot wrong with the VTS sliders.. They mount to the body.. the body which is soft.. Also if you got frame mounted sliders why would you weld it to the frame when you can attach via u bolts???

ILIAN

Adventurer
Ask some other member here or on P3 that have been wheeling more than I have and they will tell you that part of the body on the G is not soft and it will take a lot of rock hits on the slider with no problem. I will point out that a well designed rigid slider will distribute the force on all 3 mounting points. That's the reason nobody has bothered making frame mounted rock sliders for the G wagon.

TripleD513

Ask some other member here or on P3 that have been wheeling more than I have and they will tell you that part of the body on the G is not soft and it will take a lot of rock hits on the slider with no problem. I will point out that a well designed rigid slider will distribute the force on all 3 mounting points. That's the reason nobody has bothered making frame mounted rock sliders for the G wagon.

Thats very interesting.. Thanks for the info!!

silvElise

Adventurer
There is a lot wrong with the VTS sliders.. They mount to the body.. the body which is soft.. Also if you got frame mounted sliders why would you weld it to the frame when you can attach via u bolts???

You already posted this on p3 which is a better forum for this stuff. I am personally very happy (like many others) with Karl's sliders. I have come down hard a few times with no damage to the sliders or the body. So before you say "there is a lot wrong with them" you may want to have more information then just personal "theory".

Also it usually helps to say what exact year/body style you are looking for.

burquedoka

Adventurer
I run Karl's sliders on mine, and Karl is a friend of mine, and I do some fairly hard wheeling from time to time. So I will say this, the VTS sliders are simply touchdown protection for your exhaust, they are not rock sliders. I would never trust them to lay the weight of my G on a boulder and trust that things would not get f'ed up underneath. A true rock slider, if you really need one, needs to be mounted to the chassis, not the cab, and they need to be triangulated, not mounted on three inline tabs that will bend (ask me how I know).
That being said, I like the VTS sliders for what they are intended to do, protect the uber expensive exhaust, I have only bent mine once and it was an easy fix. I am not aware of any true chassis mounted rock sliders being made at this point. I know Couch has talked about a whole undercarriage system, but he has not moved on the idea as of yet.

TripleD513

I run Karl's sliders on mine, and Karl is a friend of mine, and I do some fairly hard wheeling from time to time. So I will say this, the VTS sliders are simply touchdown protection for your exhaust, they are not rock sliders. I would never trust them to lay the weight of my G on a boulder and trust that things would not get f'ed up underneath. A true rock slider, if you really need one, needs to be mounted to the chassis, not the cab, and they need to be triangulated, not mounted on three inline tabs that will bend (ask me how I know).
That being said, I like the VTS sliders for what they are intended to do, protect the uber expensive exhaust, I have only bent mine once and it was an easy fix. I am not aware of any true chassis mounted rock sliders being made at this point. I know Couch has talked about a whole undercarriage system, but he has not moved on the idea as of yet.

Thanks for your input. I'm in 100% agreement with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior