Frame flex question

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
lostih if you attach a frame with hinge points near the cab then the camper could potentially hit the truck cab when the truck frame twists.

lostih

Observer
lostih if you attach a frame with hinge points near the cab then the camper could potentially hit the truck cab when the truck frame twists.

I don’t follow this...it seems that it would be much better for the side to side alignment. Are you thinking the rear of the frame could flex enough to put the overhang into the front of the roof?

heimbig

OnTheRoadAtLast
Yes. Though i understand your concern about the weight of the camper being pushed to the downhill side during flex, you can see in my photo above that is true. My 2-point system keeps the load spread across the entire length of the truck frame rather than focusing the mass at 2 attachment points which 3 and 4 point methods do. 3 and 4 point systems obviously work but they need to be engineered for each truck frame. An 'all spring' system also will work reliably without engineering.
Anyway I think we've taken over this post and I'ld like to hear from FutureExpitioner if he feels like his question has been addressed.

Last edited:

Zybane

I think a "rigid" camper on the bed could only work on smaller/lighter vehicles like the Tiger Bengal. Any larger vehicle like an Earthroamer would surely need the flex of a 3-point system or the shell wouldn't last very long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles