Frame flex and type and kind of spring?

yabanja

Explorer
When living in Tanzania Africa I had a friend who ran the Scania truck division in country, I asked him how he came to be there all the way from Sweden.... he said he was originally sent by the home office to find out why so many truck frames were cracking within 1 yr. ..bad roads and drivers exceeding conditions was reason, solution?
They removed the suspension seats and replaced with hard mount. Problem solved.
There is a lesson here...take it for what it’s worth..
My thought process exactly and this is why I have not installed suspension seats in Fido.

DzlToy

Explorer
You do not need a massive budget to have a good suspension under your truck. You do, however, need to select quality components and do some R&D if you want a good ride. Would you build a deck on your house using bits of plywood and old scraps of fence posts? Of course not. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things.

Atlas, Deaver, Alcan, National and several others will build custom spring packs. It is CRUCIAL that you corner weight the truck, completely finished, with people, gear, water, food, dogs, etc. Multiple thinner leaves will ride better than one or two thick leaves. Getting the right measurements is also very important. The factory FE/FG springs ride like crap because they are poorly designed, thus, there is quite a bit of head room for improvement here, without investing hundreds of hours or tens of thousands of dollars. Rough estimate: $1000 per corner for good springs.

Damping control is essential. A high quality, cheap damper does not exist. Quality costs, once. Get something that is adjustable, such as a Rancho RS9000, if Radflo, ORI or ADS is not in the budget. You can upgrade later. Rough estimate: $150 per corner. If you can afford it, add an off-the-shelf air bag with a manual controls for load leveling. Air bags are NOT shocks, but they are springs and can assist in damping vibration.

This is really about the best option for an inexpensive suspension that rides well. You don't need millions of dollars, but taking time to do it right, once, instead of guessing or using inferior components will make your camper much more usable and enjoyable in the long run.

rruff

Explorer
Get something that is adjustable, such as a Rancho RS9000

I've seen so many reports that these don't last. It's nice to be able to turn up the damping for a heavy load, but one long trip down washboard and they overheat and fail. If you want high damping then you need big shocks and good cooling (reservoirs?)... don't think there's any way around it.

DzlToy

Explorer
I do not disagree one bit, sir. Look again at the desert racing world. You don't need 3.5" triple bypass shocks on your FG, but you do need to steal a bit of that tech and keep your shocks from over heating on a wash board road.

rruff

Explorer
I do not disagree one bit, sir. Look again at the desert racing world. You don't need 3.5" triple bypass shocks on your FG, but you do need to steal a bit of that tech and keep your shocks from over heating on a wash board road.

On the other hand... washboard and similar rough dirt and gravel is the majority of what I need to deal with. I'm not getting air and blasting through ravines and moguls. Do I really need high damping for washboard? Should I adjust to a low setting for that, and turn it up on the highway? Does the adjustment on a RS9000 change compression, rebound, or both? EDIT: It's both.

Zuber

I've used the Rancho 9000's on three Dodge/RAMs. Very good shocks for that app. The loaded weight of these trucks can vary by 40% so having variable damping really helps with control. The longest mileage was 180k miles and they were not worn out. Max weight on that truck was only 12k lbs, usual weight was 8k lbs. These have a lifetime warranty, which includes wear. Not expensive, I usually find them for $100 ea.

If there was an app for the FUSO, it seems these would be a very good first attempt in finding the right setup. The only down side is that they may not have enough power for the weight of the FUSO and you'd need to make a bracket to double up the front dampers.

There's a universal chart, L1-L1 is eye to eye, there's probably 15 different sizes.

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Getting back to the original premise: Suspension tuning is an art, and one that is made more difficult to practise when your chassis/frame flexes considerably or when it is topped with a box flopping around, undamped. While this behaviour is exacerbated by amplitude, it exists at all speeds and therefore must be addressed if a comfortable ride is desired by the driver and his passenger.

rruff

Explorer
Why I think if a person can accommodate their load on a fully boxed 1 ton domestic pickup, that's the way to go. Hard mount it, and spend the money you saved on the subframe on suspension instead.

Zuber

Why I think if a person can accommodate their load on a fully boxed 1 ton domestic pickup, that's the way to go. Hard mount it, and spend the money you saved on the subframe on suspension instead.

Cummins 6.7 HO engine - 1075 ft/lbs of torque. Grunt, grunt, grrr.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I've seen so many reports that these don't last. It's nice to be able to turn up the damping for a heavy load, but one long trip down washboard and they overheat and fail. If you want high damping then you need big shocks and good cooling (reservoirs?)... don't think there's any way around it.

No problems with mine lasting. Lots of corrugations and dirt roads and I haven't found that they overheat at all. Maybe I don't drive fast enough in the rough.

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94