Four Wheel Grandby in 2011 Ford F-350 - examples of paltform to clear cab?

93Cummins

Observer
I am looking to install a Grandby in my 2011 Ford F-350 Crew Cab with 8' bed. I know I have to build a platform to put the camper high enough to clear the cab. If anyone out there has done this I would appreciate a picture or description of what you put in your truck bed to lift the camper up. I have commonly seen a comment about using 4x4's, but an looking for more detail before I purchase a camper.

Thanks.

smlobx

Wanderer
What is the actual height you have to raise the camper?
If it's only a couple of inches I would suggest you consider some high density foam board that will not only raise the camper but provide some additional insulation....

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Northstar has a perimeter riser of 2 x 2's and a couple cross braces going east/west inside consisting of 2 x 2's. They used redwood it appears. I think 2 x 2's these days are only 1.5". My floor's insulated but some high density foamboard between the spaces could work for you guys.

TBlack

My Northstar 850 SC seats on 3 4x4 and 3/4 sheet of plywood plus a horse mat to keep it from sliding. Little over kill but i due travel with moon roof open and would not like to replace the glass. This gives me just under 5 inch clearance between camper and cab roof.

93Cummins

Observer
Thanks for the responses, that gives me some ideas. In my mind I was trying to balance weight vs supporting the floor of the camper. The bed is Rhino lined so I don't think it will slip. Since FWC suggests 4" I am thinking of a 4x4 frame with cross braces.

93Cummins

Observer
Update - found a mid to late 90's camper and am picking it up Monday. Would still like to see a picture of one on a similar vintage truck if anyone has some.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I have a 3/4" rubber mat in the back of my 2001 F250 and I do not require a platform to clear the cab. I'd suggest taking measurements from your truck and from the camper first, you may find you don't need a platform. If you do need a platform I'd suggest building something that is a useful storage area possibly for the jacks.

93Cummins

Observer
Martyn: Thanks for the response. I am picking the camper up tonight so I will be doing some measurements (picking it up with my Dodge). According to the FWC web site "older camper fit guide" the newer Super-duties have taller cabs and deeper bed rails so the camper needs to be raised 1 to 2". I think the dimension changes started in 2007 or 2008 so they do work fine on the earlier F250 and F350 trucks. My truck is a 2011 F350 with the 6.7 Diesel. I am pretty sure it needs some sort of platform between 1 and 2". I agree with you, something with storage would be nice, but I am not sure the required height would lead to much storage. I am replacing my existing shell with a Truck Vault in the bed, so I will be looking for as much storage as I can get.

Motafinga

Adventurer
Super easy, 4 x 8 piece of ply on top of 4- 2x4's length wise. Screw together and your done, don't even really need to cut anything.Although if your camper flares out wider behind the wheel wells just add some small extensions. I painted my platform with bedliner as well as the truck bed for anti slip.This is my OBS F250 but I had the the same thing on my 99 F250
Enjoy the new camper!

Attachments

• IMG_20150315_135641_307.jpg
    IMG_20150315_135641_307.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 41

93Cummins

Observer
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Can you see the platform with the camper sitting on it or does the back of the camper hide the platform? Thanks again, I guess I now have my weekend project.

Motafinga

Adventurer
Thanks! That's what I was thinking. Can you see the platform with the camper sitting on it or does the back of the camper hide the platform? Thanks again, I guess I now have my weekend project.

You can see the end of it yes but it doesn't bother me. I used pressure treated 2x4s btw to resist rot. the platform also serves to keep the camper above water that gets in the bed, make sure your bed has drain holes in the forward end of it too.

93Cummins

Observer
Got my camper - install on Friday

Picture of my new to me camper attached on a trailer at the moment. The install is on Friday. I will try to post pictures of the solution used for my install if I can figure out why I can't post pictures.

Mike

93Cummins

Observer
My new to me Grandby

Pictured as I picked it up. It's at Four Wheel Campers right now getting jacks installed and some other work.

Attachments

• Camper_Trail_Low.jpg
    Camper_Trail_Low.jpg
    558.4 KB · Views: 24

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94