Four wheel campers in heat and humidity?

xterratime

Observer
The ground tent(s) might work quite well for you. :)

You might consider a simple fence around your ground tent(s). Some 6' driveway plow markers, some nylon cord, some stakes, and something big enough to be seen but still light. Electric fence tape (not wire) would likely work, and you could electrify it for the horses, or in bear country.

:unsure: ... Hey, a place for a second RTTT! ... :cool:

Even with ground tents, bringing the Jeep the way you described might be quite useful. :)

You might want to check out Expedition Yellowstone. Maybe she can go with a group of school kids, maybe your kids will be part of the group, maybe you can go as a chaperone that those groups bring?

Don't think the State park rangers would go for that. Your not even allowed any clotheslines for beach towels, cords to generators. Nothing a horse could trip over or get caught up in.

Yeah bringing the Jeep would be cool/fun. but those conversions and set ups to tow aren't cheap either. So if it's a long term solution maybe worth it but if we're gonna turn around and tow a trailer then shouldn't bother.

Those Yellowstone trips do look cool! But from MD that would be a pretty long/pricey trip. Not sure how that works. But she teaches at a really low income school. Most of their kids have to get help for a ~$80 day trip to Philadelphia on a bus for 12 hours. And for many that's the first time they leave the state.

------------

I literally change my mind daily between "do nothing/status quo" Order a FWC (then it's flatbed vs slide in) and order an airstream...

For now guess by default it's do nothing, get some money together for down payments, maybe led the Covid camping/demand craziness ease a bit and then reevaluate in 6-12 months

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Wasted a BUNCH of time on youtube yesterday looking at truck campers. At the end of the day man are they really small for 4 people; and of course $$$$$

Wondering if I should go back to my original plan of tent camping another 8-10 years and they getting some kind of rig (truck camper, Sprinter van conversion, etc.) for my wife and I to use once the kids are launched and we're doing more couple travel.

--------

A lot of this searching and all really stemmed form my disappointment with the roof top tent that I thought would be the end all be all. It accomplished it's main goal which was getting us up off the ground and away from the wild horses where we beach camp (they had steeped on our tent and woke us up Two years/trips in a row. One trip, multiple nights.

But it takes a lot longer to set up and take down then I anticipated. It's tight for all 4 of us up top, more so as the kids grow, it leaked a fair amount on our last trip during a storm, the ladder broke already beyond repair and needs replacing....just isn't quite the solution I though it'd be :(

But, most places animals aren't a big concern and with our awning, Dometic fridge/slide, tables/chairs, Exped mats, Big Agnes tent, etc. our regualr ground tent set up really is pretty decent.

Uggghg, need to spend more time camping and less time thinking about it. Damn work always getting in the way though :p
Yep!! I canned the truck camper idea for the family a 9 yrs back same deal. Bought a Lifetime Tent Trailer from Costco on Thursday had it on my driveway Tuesday morning. Added some LED lighting “50cal ammo box solar/battery” and a tongue box. Has been good except its terrible in desert winds??. This week I’m fitting with a “A” frame rack to carry the kids Jr sailing boats to the club for winter sailing. Multi purpose camper best $1300 I’ve spent on a camper ha ha!

1000arms

... Those Yellowstone trips do look cool! But from MD that would be a pretty long/pricey trip. Not sure how that works. But she teaches at a really low income school. Most of their kids have to get help for a ~$80 day trip to Philadelphia on a bus for 12 hours. And for many that's the first time they leave the state. ...
Yellowstone NP's Expedition Yellowstone Program used to have some scholarship money to help school groups. I don't know if they still do. I suggest calling Yellowstone NP and asking. :)

"Whether you use the Expedition: Yellowstone! curriculum in the park or in your classroom, I hope it is useful for your educational needs. If you have any questions, please contact me at P.O. Box 168, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming 82190; email me at Bob_Fuhrmann@nps.gov; or call me at (307) 344-2256" is from:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/upload/ey_sampler_web.pdf which you can find a link to on page:

1000arms

Don't think the State park rangers would go for that. You are not even allowed any clotheslines for beach towels, cords to generators. Nothing a horse could trip over or get caught up in. ...
:unsure: ... "Campers must provide their own clothesline." is from:

Calicamper's idea might keep horses off your tent. ... :)

Yep!! I canned the truck camper idea for the family a 9 yrs back same deal. Bought a Lifetime Tent Trailer from Costco on Thursday had it on my driveway Tuesday morning. Added some LED lighting “50cal ammo box solar/battery” and a tongue box. Has been good except its terrible in desert winds??. This week I’m fitting with a “A” frame rack to carry the kids Jr sailing boats to the club for winter sailing. Multi purpose camper best $1300 I’ve spent on a camper ha ha!

Last edited:

1000arms

... I literally change my mind daily between "do nothing/status quo" Order a FWC (then it's flatbed vs slide in) and order an airstream...

For now guess by default it's do nothing, get some money together for down payments, maybe let the Covid camping/demand craziness ease a bit and then reevaluate in 6-12 months
Sounds like a good, and low cost, idea! :)

xterratime

Observer
:unsure: ... "Campers must provide their own clothesline." is from:

Calicamper's idea might keep horses off your tent. ... :)

Huh.....they've told us to take them down multiple times?? That's' weird. We usually just take our little folding laundry rack from home - holds 4+ towels and 4+ bathing suits better then a short line anyway. And can be thrown in the annex or bed of truck if a storm comes through. Actually its empty in the pic below between the truck and jeep.

We solved the horse/tent problem with the roof top tent. It just has it's own compromises..

roof tent assateuque.jpg

xterratime

Observer
Sounds like a good, and low cost, idea! :)

Thanks, for sure :) And I guess the one we're going with for now.

With kids back to school and coaching both kids in sports the time to camp is....limited. Though we do have 2 local MD weekends planned in October. Nothing too adventurous; one at my Uncle's who hosts a camping night each Fall and one at a jellystone campground for Halloween stuff.

Then it'll be Holidays and ski season. A Four wheel camper would be SWEET for ski parking lot changing clothes, lunches, bathroom ,etc though (;

Oh well. I think the crazy long lead times (like 15 months currently I think) have me more anxious to make a decision to get "on the list" but it's definitely a want and not a need. And a big financial decision so no sense rushing it just due to demand.

xterratime

Observer

Nice!! Glad you found a good solution for your crew :)

My RTT was twice that and doesn't even have wheels :eek:

D

Deleted member 9101

A lot of our vacations end up being a combination of camping and other lodging - 2-3 days camping, 2 days at my in-laws (in the city no room to park trailer) or a week camping in FL and then a week at our timeshare in Disney (again no parking trailer).
a 350 dually. So I'm not too worried about committing the truck full time to the FWC.

If you plan on camping in Florida during the summer.... I can promise you that you'll want A/C. No amount of fans will make 90% humidity comfortable...lol

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Nice!! Glad you found a good solution for your crew :)

My RTT was twice that and doesn't even have wheels :eek:
Needed something to haul stuff. Multi use made the boss happy. It does double duty hauling boats and bikes to the lake rental too lol.

Attachments

• 61A84362-91E5-45A7-AC85-C451D084C4BE.jpeg
    61A84362-91E5-45A7-AC85-C451D084C4BE.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles