Four wheel campers in heat and humidity?

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah...I may just have to put up with it looking strange :/ I don't want to have to avoid have the country for certain months of the year if I'm hoping to keep the camper 15+ years. Plus it was over 100 in Oregon back in June so you just never know!!

Yeah grew up going there every Spring with my family in a big old caravan of 3-4 RV's, 20-30 relatives.

Ya know... Florida has some really awesome camp grounds. Ft.Desoto comes to mind as well as a host of State Park campgrounds. They lack the amenities of Ft.Wilderness, but they more than make up for it in other ways.

ramblinChet

Nice, congrats on the Grandby! I sleep in a tent now, ground tent for a long time, rooftop tent last two years.
<snip>
At the cost of these campers the AC is relatively insignificant; it's getting over the look of it hanging off I guess.

Thanks for your very informative reply. I guess it boils down to one of those "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." A few years from now if you find you are not using it and it still drives you bonkers you can easily remove it and install a temporary patch. It sounds like you would be better off buying it now even if you only use it a few dozen times per year.

Take lots of pictures and share with us!

xterratime

Observer
Ya know... Florida has some really awesome camp grounds. Ft.Desoto comes to mind as well as a host of State Park campgrounds. They lack the amenities of Ft.Wilderness, but they more than make up for it in other ways.

Yes I know, even stayed at a few!! (Fort Hendersen, Alafia River, Topsail Hill Preserve).

BUT there are lots of beaches/trails/woods/campgrounds etc. that aren't a ~14 hour drive on 95; so often if we trek to Florida it's to visit the house of mouse for better or worse.

In my pipe dream I'll drive the rig down for a 2-3 week trip and the family will fly down and join me for 7-9 days. So far that's just a dream though :/

Thanks for your very informative reply. I guess it boils down to one of those "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." A few years from now if you find you are not using it and it still drives you bonkers you can easily remove it and install a temporary patch. It sounds like you would be better off buying it now even if you only use it a few dozen times per year.

Take lots of pictures and share with us!

Yep, have it just in case is the key I guess. And yeah guess I could remove and put a window or patch or something. I'll have to research more where it goes on flatbed. If it's still in the rear (as I assume) then maybe it wouldn't bug me as much with the door on the side. With the typical slide in's it seems like it's just right in your face by the door where you'd be hanging out.

They're booking for February 2023 right now!!! So if (still an if at this point) we decide to purchase it'll be a loooooong time before I have pictures to share :)

FAW3

Adventurer
We bought a used rig with a FWC Hawk. It came with a MaxxFan over the bed. Wonderful to reverse the flow and have it blow directly on you. Makes it do-able in hot/humid weather.

AC would be nice...but for me it is out of character for what we got this unit for. We've done the motorhome...this is camping. Of course...a couple of really steaming nights might change my mind.

joshuag23

Wondering if you could just pop one of these portable guys in as needed; that would solve the ugly hanging off the back problem!!

Those portable air conditioners aren't very good. With a window air conditioner, the compressor that generates condensation and heat is outside of the space you are trying to cool instead of inside. The smallest window air conditioner I've found is 5,000 btu at around $150 on amazon... compared to $1,300 for something like the "icy breeze". And here's one I'm thinking about getting because it's programmable for $169. It's only 350 watts.

Here's a good vid on why those portable air conditioners suck.

I live in seattle and it was over 100 degrees on my patio in the shade and I hate heat. I might move to alaska next.

xterratime

Observer
Gas to cooler location is X, cost to do some crazy AC power pig Y. Enjoying outdoors in great temps WIN ???

Yeah...going to cooler locations is definelty a nice option....but my wife is a teacher so we're relegated to mostly Summer travel. We're in the humid Mid Atlantic, in laws in DE and NC. We all like going to Diseny every other year or so.

Just being realistic that a high percentage of our camping is in heat/humidity for the next 15 years anyway.

xterratime

Observer
We bought a used rig with a FWC Hawk. It came with a MaxxFan over the bed. Wonderful to reverse the flow and have it blow directly on you. Makes it do-able in hot/humid weather.

AC would be nice...but for me it is out of character for what we got this unit for. We've done the motorhome...this is camping. Of course...a couple of really steaming nights might change my mind.

Nice; if we pulled the trigger we'd planned to get both max fans (over bed and truck bed/center of camper. So glad to hear they work well!!

That's where I keep going back and forth. Our other serious option is an Airstream trailer...total opposite direction of the FWC, lol. Then we'd have AC, plenty of room, etc. but it would only be used for camping trips of course.

A lot of our vacations end up being a combination of camping and other lodging - 2-3 days camping, 2 days at my in-laws (in the city no room to park trailer) or a week camping in FL and then a week at our timeshare in Disney (again no parking trailer).

That's why I like the idea of something that fits on/in my truck and still park pretty much wherever. We also would like to use the FWC as a day tripper too for skiing, mountain biking, girls softball tournaments/weekends. Having a place to stand up and change and a BATHROOM would be huge.

So where a trailer might get used for 2-3 week trips and another 2-4 weekend trips; I'm thinking a FWC would get used for those same trips plus almost every weekend (plus still be my "daily" driver)

I work in construction and have a real work truck -11 foot steel utility bed with ladder racks on a 350 dually. So I'm not too worried about committing the truck full time to the FWC.

xterratime

Observer
Those portable air conditioners aren't very good. With a window air conditioner, the compressor that generates condensation and heat is outside of the space you are trying to cool instead of inside. The smallest window air conditioner I've found is 5,000 btu at around $150 on amazon... compared to $1,300 for something like the "icy breeze". And here's one I'm thinking about getting because it's programmable for $169. It's only 350 watts.

Here's a good vid on why those portable air conditioners suck.

I live in seattle and it was over 100 degrees on my patio in the shade and I hate heat. I might move to alaska next.

Gotcha, I'd have to do more research I guess if/when the time comes.

Still just really debating if it's worth the money for this thing or if we'll get enough use out of it.

Biggest problem with the roof tent is just leaving my truck unable to be moved and the long set up/take down time....

Might just buy a freaking cassette toilet for my truck with cap and a new nice ground tent and call it a day. ~$2K vs $70K.....that's pay for a lot of gas/trips/hotels/mountian bike doodads/whatever's :p

My wife's other idea is to set up her new Jeep (40th Bday present to herself HAHA) to be towed 4 wheels down like RV's do. Then we could tow the jeep and set up truck to stay in place for whole trip and use Jeep to run around. Then if/when we stop at a hotel/resort for a few days we can just unhook jeep and use two parking spots.

If we go that route we'd maybe upgrade our awning to a big Batwing too so we had enough shade to cook and hangout where as our little ARB we have now basically just covers our kitchen/cooking area with nowhere to just sit and hang.

xterratime

Observer
Wasted a BUNCH of time on youtube yesterday looking at truck campers. At the end of the day man are they really small for 4 people; and of course $$$$$

Wondering if I should go back to my original plan of tent camping another 8-10 years and they getting some kind of rig (truck camper, Sprinter van conversion, etc.) for my wife and I to use once the kids are launched and we're doing more couple travel.

--------

A lot of this searching and all really stemmed form my disappointment with the roof top tent that I thought would be the end all be all. It accomplished it's main goal which was getting us up off the ground and away from the wild horses where we beach camp (they had steeped on our tent and woke us up Two years/trips in a row. One trip, multiple nights.

But it takes a lot longer to set up and take down then I anticipated. It's tight for all 4 of us up top, more so as the kids grow, it leaked a fair amount on our last trip during a storm, the ladder broke already beyond repair and needs replacing....just isn't quite the solution I though it'd be :(

But, most places animals aren't a big concern and with our awning, Dometic fridge/slide, tables/chairs, Exped mats, Big Agnes tent, etc. our regualr ground tent set up really is pretty decent.

Uggghg, need to spend more time camping and less time thinking about it. Damn work always getting in the way though :p

1000arms

... Still just really debating if it's worth the money for this thing or if we'll get enough use out of it. ... Might just buy a freaking cassette toilet for my truck with cap and a new nice ground tent and call it a day. ~$2K vs $70K.....that's pay for a lot of gas/trips/hotels/mountain bike doodads/whatever's :p ...
... Wondering if I should go back to my original plan of tent camping another 8-10 years and they getting some kind of rig (truck camper, Sprinter van conversion, etc.) for my wife and I to use once the kids are launched and we're doing more couple travel. ... But, most places animals aren't a big concern and with our awning, Dometic fridge/slide, tables/chairs, Exped mats, Big Agnes tent, etc. our regular ground tent set up really is pretty decent. ...
The ground tent(s) might work quite well for you. :)

You might consider a simple fence around your ground tent(s). Some 6' driveway plow markers, some nylon cord, some stakes, and something big enough to be seen but still light. Electric fence tape (not wire) would likely work, and you could electrify it for the horses, or in bear country.

... My wife's other idea is to set up her new Jeep (40th Bday present to herself HAHA) to be towed 4 wheels down like RV's do. Then we could tow the jeep and set up truck to stay in place for whole trip and use Jeep to run around. Then if/when we stop at a hotel/resort for a few days we can just unhook jeep and use two parking spots. ...
:unsure: ... Hey, a place for a second RTTT! ... :cool:

Even with ground tents, bringing the Jeep the way you described might be quite useful. :)

Yeah...going to cooler locations is definitely a nice option....but my wife is a teacher so we're relegated to mostly Summer travel. ...
You might want to check out Expedition Yellowstone. Maybe she can go with a group of school kids, maybe your kids will be part of the group, maybe you can go as a chaperone that those groups bring?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles