Four Wheel Camper Swift Build

Very cool, I like what you did with the seating/table, thats very clever. The FWC shell models appeal to me big time, I like being able to customize my own stuff, and save money too, pretty much what I did to my Skamper, got it basically stripped down to the shell and built it into what I wanted. Got any build/progress pics of when you first got it to the present state of it? Also, how did you build your sink/run the drain pipe? Do those shell models have the outside fill/drain access ports for things like that? or do you just drill a hole and add one?

Last edited:

codename607

Adventurer
Very cool, I like what you did with the seating/table, thats very clever. The FWC shell models appeal to me big time, I like being able to customize my own stuff, and save money too, pretty much what I did to my Skamper, got it basically stripped down to the shell and built it into what I wanted. Got any build/progress pics of when you first got it to the present state of it? Also, how did you build your sink/run the drain pipe? Do those shell models have the outside fill/drain access ports for things like that? or do you just drill a hole and add one?

Those Skampers are super cool. I would have ended up with one of those but I couldn't find a used one at the time.

Unfortunately I don't have any build progress pics. The camper was completely empty when I purchased it new. For several years I left it empty because I wasn't sure how to build it out. After taking it out on a bunch of trips I slowly started to understand how I wanted it laid out. Everything except the sink comes out pretty fast.

The sink is super simple, no drains going to the outside. I'm sure you can get them added from the dealer but mine doesn't have it. My sink water drains directly into a 7 gal water tank that is under the sink. I posted a video on youtube that shows it.

I know the video says 2015 but that's a typo on my part. I purchased it in 2015 and they built it in March of 2016.

I never have problems with it getting full because I can just pour it out in a safe place. I wanted to keep everything inside because of I do a lot of winter camping and having water draining outside could freeze up really fast. The only downside is that the 7 gal container takes up space even when it's empty, so I'm thinking about replacing it with one of those collapsible containers.

Last edited:
Thats killer man, I think the shell models or starting from scratch is the best way, sure the built out ones are nice, but pricey, this way, you can lay it out as you need/please. Im the opposite in my camping as I do a lot of desert/high desert warm climate camping out here in the southwest, but similar to you I like to keep everything in the camper for comfort/ease of use.

s.e.charles

nice job!

couple of questions:

there's a gauge panel in the first post, and then a goal zero in the video. two systems? or is the panel reading . . no, that wouldn't make sense. solar panel to charge the gz? or tied to the truck battery?

when closing the pop top, do the pistons ever freeze/ not slide, in cold or ice conditions? (awkward- if ice forms in warm conditions, something's amiss!)

thanks

codename607

Adventurer
nice job!

couple of questions:

there's a gauge panel in the first post, and then a goal zero in the video. two systems? or is the panel reading . . no, that wouldn't make sense. solar panel to charge the gz? or tied to the truck battery?

when closing the pop top, do the pistons ever freeze/ not slide, in cold or ice conditions? (awkward- if ice forms in warm conditions, something's amiss!)

thanks

The gauge is actually a temperature reading. I wanted to know the temperature inside and outside of the camper so I picked that one up off amazon. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MUOIQ8W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My goal zero is charged from the truck battery but it only charges when the truck is running. Works really well for my needs.

The pistons do feel stiffer in the winter. But I think this has more to do with the ice on top of the camper creating weight. I've never had a problem lifting the camper but others use a speaker lift system to lift the camper. Seems to work great for them. If you want to know more let me know. Cheers

codename607

Adventurer
A few days ago I finished another project. Recently I purchased a set of Maxtrax and I needed a place to store them. I thought about adding a cargo box on top and storing them in there, but I don't think I'm ready to add anything to the roof yet.

After looking at a few other ideas I ended up building a mount and attaching it to the rear of the camper.

1) I used some exterior wood from Home Depot and cut it down to the size of the boards.
2) I primed and painted it. Ended up using plasti-dip because I had a bunch of cans left over from a previous project. Might not be the best.
3) The wood was mounted using the existing wall step.
4) Also added some L brackets at the bottom to give it more structure.

Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Maxtrax Mount 2.jpeg
Maxtrax Mount 1.jpeg

eevaldes

Sweet build! I dig the sink setup. Super practical and a nice solution for a lot of shell owners. Nice Matrix mount too!

codename607

Adventurer
Sweet build! I dig the sink setup. Super practical and a nice solution for a lot of shell owners. Nice Matrix mount too!

Thanks man! I dig your build too...You guys do awesome work. A few weeks back we had a GTS lift added to our runner. Pete did a great job with the install and it was nice catching up with the others. One day maybe I'll check out the shop in NH.

eevaldes

Thanks man! I dig your build too...You guys do awesome work. A few weeks back we had a GTS lift added to our runner. Pete did a great job with the install and it was nice catching up with the others. One day maybe I'll check out the shop in NH.
Thank you man. We appreciate the business! Definitely stop by soon.

sipaez

This is awesome!
A few questions: How heavy is that camper? And how does your Tacoma performs with the camper fully loaded?

I have a Tacoma and I feel like every 100 pounds makes a huge difference in terms of MPG's, handling and power!

grogie

Like to Camp
Looks like you have some fun! At the last Expo East, I saw a Tacoma with a FWC. Really nice setup... and these have my attention. Curious, what's your payload weight when loaded, and what's your highway MPG? Thanks.

codename607

Adventurer
Although I've never had the camper weighed I estimate that it's closer to 1200lbs fully loaded for a winter trip and probably 1100lbs for a summer trip.

This is the lightest shell model and FWC says it weighs around 795lbs when it was shipped to the customer.

I've tried my best to keep things light weight so I've opted out of having a hot water system, elaborate electric system and a few other things.

Currently the truck is stock and I can squeeze 18 MPG hwy driving around 60-65 MPH. With that being said I normally get around 15-16 MPH because I drive 75 MPH most of the time.

I highly recommend the Tacoma with a manual transmission if you plan on adding a FWC to the back. Before my current truck I had a lifted automatic 2016. Granted it did have larger tires, I felt that I would need to re-gear with that set up in the long term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles