Four Wheel Camper - A Review

kcowyo

ExPo Original
After Vegas, we headed over to Death Valley for a couple of days. This was my 3rd trip to DV in the month of November, and I like it better and better each time I go. Death Valley in November is ideal....

I wasn't alone on this trip. My lady-friend Mia and I attended the conference together and the following week I would introduce her to my Dad over Thanksgiving dinner. It would be cruel and understated to say what a daunting task it is to endure me, the road and my family while living out of the camper for 3 weeks. Her presence and attitude were the only things that would outshine the trip and the FWC. This trip solidified what I had already come to suspect. Of all the blessings in my life, an enthusiastic travel partner will enhance even the best of equipment and adventures....

The Old Spanish Trail, Death Valley National Park, California -
701760642_a6Did-O.jpg
Trip 060.jpg

Death Valley NP, California -
701760855_YUoX2-O.jpg

Remote camp, Death Valley NP, California -
701761003_GZG2E-O.jpg
Trip 067.jpg

On a high at the lowest of the low -
701760457_9CJPr-O.jpg
Trip 063.jpg

Teakettle Junction, Death Valley NP, California -
701765687_tpfXx-O.jpg
Trip 121.jpg

Doing my thing -
701764254_7F82V-O.jpg
Trip 088.jpg

Sunset at the Racetrack Playa, Death Valley NP, California -
701757737_CQxDi-O.jpg
Trip 007.jpg

Last edited:

slooowr6

Explorer
kcowyo said:
This trip solidified what I had already come to suspect. Of all the blessings in my life, an enthusiastic travel partner will enhance even the best of equipment and adventures....

Very true!
BTW, yes you got me 2 for 2. No regret on both though. :sombrero:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
After Death Valley we headed due west for the coast and Cambria, CA.

Why Cambria? No idea, just seemed the shortest route to the coast and we only had 4 days to make the drive up to Portland for Thanksgiving. I didn't want to be late for the best free meal of the year.

I grew up in NC and spent all of my summers on the Outerbanks. But I've been living in CO & WY for the last 14 years. This would be my first time seeing any ocean in 8 years.

It was perfect. The Pacific Coast Highway 101 lives up to the hype. One of the best drives in America. We heard the elephant seals near San Simeon, drove through Big Sur and walked around the Hobbit houses in Carmel. We watched kite surfers dancing on the waves and crossed the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset.

It was good to be by the sea again.

Piedras Blancas, California -
701763301_dyqg5-O.jpg
Trip 009.jpg

Big Sur, California -
701756551_GqKAN-O.jpg
Trip 017.jpg

Leaving only footprints....
701756500_2WQvY-O.jpg
Trip 005.jpg

Pacific Coast Highway 101, California -
701761639_zh4rZ-O.jpg
Trip 075.jpg

Kite Surfing -
701765419_rePXn-O.jpg

California Coast -
701763843_b6ytE-O-1.jpg
Trip 006.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California -
701756333_G4oha-O.jpg
Trip 003.jpg

San Francisco at dusk -
701763923_HpeGy-O.jpg
Trip 107.jpg

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
We spent that night in Bodega Bay, although that sounded better than it was. Maybe we just missed the good stuff there....

I was hoping to try the USAL road down to the Lost Coast, but had been warned that it was late in the season and the road was nearly impassable. We were pressed for time anyway, so we regretfully passed the turn-off. Perhaps next time.

We made our way to the Oregon coast, a sentimental favorite of mine. The drive up among the numerous lighthouses, sand dunes, rocky shoreline and state parks is almost more than the senses can take. View after view after view.... it's amazing.

I had secretly arranged a special surprise for her on the last evening of this stretch, before the family holiday and the drive back home. I figured any woman who would happily endure this type of trip for 3 weeks, deserved something special. It was a great finish to one of our best trips.

Bodega Bay, California -
701765854_YZyQd-O.jpg
Trip 018.jpg

Pacific Coast Highway, California -
701757316_BS69b-O.jpg
Trip 108.jpg

Heceta Head Lighthouse, Oregon -
701763701_wkLk2-O.jpg
Trip 104.jpg

Seal haul-out, Oregon -
701766237_mZtqs-O.jpg
Trip 141.jpg

Land Rover series IIA (I think...) in Coos Bay, Oregon -
701758093_mkp67-O.jpg
Trip 024.jpg

The special surprise -
1051029976_kGUv2-O.jpg
Trip 011.jpg

It was a wonderful trip through some beautiful country. The truck and camper performed flawlessly. From scenic trails in Utah and Death Valley, to the terrifying traffic on the Las Vegas strip and up the million curves on the west coast, this outfit proves again and again to be my ideal set up for long distances and artistic overland travel.

Special thanks to desertgirl66, who gave me some wonderful recommendations to properly enjoy the Big Sur area. I'm glad we were able to see the coast before the devastating fires this year. All of you California folks have a real paradise on that coastline. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Until the next adventure ~

701759072_zaRgx-O.jpg

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
KC,

Thanks for the write-up and exellent photographs. It sure looked like an outstanding trip...except for the time spent in Vegas :)

I know most of us shoot digital now, but I can't believe no one has commented on the perfect irony of this photo:
kcowyo said:
Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah -
701761546_RPgy6-O.jpg

Last edited:

SunMan

Adventurer
Been waiting a long time for that report KC ;) ...Thanks amigo, outstanding as usual. I'll be heading up that way next week, perfect timing!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
SunMan, I know you've been waiting. I apologize for omitting your name as someone who helped out in the planning stages too, particularly for the Big Sur area. My bad, it's been so long since then, I just plain forgot, but thanks for the tips - :beer:

Thanks for the props gentlemen, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. When you put yourself in beautiful spots, it's easy to get a few lucky shots. I'm looking forward to returning to Big Sur and then seeing the Lost Coast further north, someday.

tdesanto, it pains me to say it, because I live for irony, but you got me on the pic from Kodachrome. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together until your post, how embarassing... but I'm glad you liked the photo. I was happy with that one and the B&W from Death Valley.

I probably should have put up a trip report elsewhere, but the good stuff was the scenery and it all ties in with the FWC. I can think of a couple of chilly & damp nights that would have been tougher to endure without the comfort of the camper and it's charming little heater. So my "report" will stay in this thread and stand as a testament to the convenience and reliablity of FWCs on long range trips in various climates and environments.

:campfire:

So What's Up Next?
Beginning on Thanksgiving, a 2 week loop through the scenic southwestern US, including but not limited to:

Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument in Utah
Sedona, AZ
Kofa National Wildlife Refuge in AZ
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park in CA
San Diego, CA
Death Valley National Park
Area 51 in Nevada
Great Basin National Park in Nevada

It should be another great adventure travelling to new places and seeing some familiar faces along the way...

klahanie

daydream believer
kcowyo,

The poetic introduction of this thread was the bait, but for me your photography, some of it exquisite, has been the hook. Well done!

KC, I would like you to know much I enjoy and value your contributions to EXPO. Your posts contain much appreciated encouragement, enthusiasm, consistent good humour and yes, occasional wit.

This thread has a somewhat bittersweet resonance for me. Currently truck-less, our FWC waits in storage whilst I mark time. (yes … “the horror, .. the horror”). Your evocative submissions have in a way helped me keep the faith, until that day again I too am similarly blessed.

Until then, thanks for keeping that trademark campfire burning, that cold beer glass always full.

Most of all KC, thanks for the ride...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
David, I've spent the last couple of days trying to come up with a suitable reply to such a generous and flattering statement. ....And I got nuthin'.

I'm one of those who doesn't know how to take a compliment very well, so let me just say thank you for your very kind words. My intent with my pics and quips is just to pay the inspiration forward. I've probably gotten more inspiration out of the Portal than I have given back, but it's fun to try.

I hope a new truck finds it's way under your FWC soon. At the moment, mine is sitting on sawhorses out beside the garage and I can't help but think how lonely and eager it looks, just sitting there waiting for the next long trail in the middle of nowhere. "Soon", I keep telling it. Maybe that will work with yours too - ;)

Canyonlands National Park, Utah -
701815727_27Zgn-O.jpg
Utah 106.jpg

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
klahanie said:
KC, I would like you to know much I enjoy and value your contributions to EXPO. Your posts contain much appreciated encouragement, enthusiasm, consistent good humour and yes, occasional wit.

Once in a while you can hear a bit of southern drawl.

:peepwall:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94