Four Wheel Camper - A Review

kcowyo

ExPo Original
IMG_0908.jpg

Darren was nice enough to send me some of his pics of my T100, from our trip. Of course you can't get your own action shots, so I'm very grateful Darren used up some his millions of gigabytes for me. Thanks man!! :bowdown:

My biggest concern about this camper, prior to purchase, was the mounting system and if it would hold up well off road. I'm happy with my truck's suspension and ground clearance but those would be of little use to me if the camper didn't stay fast to the truck bed. The Utah trip was to be a litmus test of the system and would let me know what to expect.

Now in hindsight, I would say that the camper's mounting system is up to handling more severe trails than my truck is! Other than the turnbuckles working a turn or two loose, there was no shifting with the camper or signs that it was under stress at all.

Hmmphh.. a product that delivers as advertised? In this day and age...? Wow!

Attachments

• IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0713.jpg
    IMG_0713.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 625

kcowyo

ExPo Original
...and a few more, because how it handles on the trail matters to me most of all. Plus this thread needs more pics!! :cool:

*** Special thanks to Darren for the photos in these two posts. See more of Darren's photography, 4Runner info and trip reports on his website - MyColorado.org ***

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0734.jpg
    IMG_0734.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 358

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Awsome photos!
You should consider sending some to 4W Campers, their customer photos are pretty tame (& boring) compared to these.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
A quick update -

Over the Memorial Day long weekend I took a trip up to Cooke City, MT and Yellowstone NP. Spent 3 days camped out and saw some crazy weather and wildlife. I'll put a short report with pics up in the Completed Adventures section.

Yesterday I had surprise visitor. My cousin, the fly fishing and tying prodigy (he was selling his own flies to Orvis when he was 12), stopped in Lander on his way to Jackson for a summer job as a fly fishing guide. He wanted to camp out before reporting for work today, so I took the rest of the afternoon off and we went to a favorite secret campsite along Bull Lake, on the Wind River Indian Reservation. He's got a great 3rd gen 4Runner that I helped him find and buy last summer. But as you can see from the pics, the boy needs some storage work!

Nothing to report other than a nice campfire, a big pot of red beans and rice for dinner and maybe I got him started a little early for his 21st b'day this Saturday... We were up by 6am this morning and I made it home in time for a quick shower then to work by 9am.

A random Wednesday night camping trip. Ya gotta love it!

Attachments

• Bull Lake 50.jpg
    Bull Lake 50.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 386
  • Bull Lake 90.jpg
    Bull Lake 90.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 984
  • Bull Lake 170.jpg
    Bull Lake 170.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 531
  • Bull Lake 280.jpg
    Bull Lake 280.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • Bull Lake 380.jpg
    Bull Lake 380.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 826

kcowyo

ExPo Original
An update to the thread, though more for me. I want to keep track of how many nights I use the camper this year, lately dubbed by others as the "Condo," which I kind of like.

I was inspired to do this by one of Graham's posts showing some of his favorite campsites with their GPS coordinates. I don't use my GPS often enough to be very proficient with it, so I wanted to keep a different log of nights camped. I haven't taken pics of every campsight, although I should start doing that, even if for my own amusement.

Night #1 April 16 - along the Palisades Resevoir in Idaho
night #2 April 29 - Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander, Wyoming
night #3 May 7- Glen Canyon Rec Area, Utah
night #4 May 8 - Canyonlands National Park, Utah
night #5 May 9 - near Natural Bridges National Monument, Utah
night #6 May 10 - Indian Creek/Lockhart Canyon, Utah
night #7 May 11 - Dead Horse Point State Park, Utah
night #8 May 12 - White Rim Trail, CNP, Utah
night #9 May 13 - Dead Horse Point State Park, Utah
night #10 May 27 - Bill Cody Resevoir, Cody, Wyoming
night #11 May 28 - Sunlight Basin, Wyoming
night #12 May 29 - Slough Creek, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
night #13 May 31 - Bull Lake, Wind River Indian Reservation, Wyoming
night #14 June 10- Sinks Canyon State Park, Lander, Wyoming
night #15 June 15 - Dumont Lake, Rabbit Ears Pass, Colorado
night #16 June 16 - near Keystone, Colorado
night #17 June 17 - near Leadville, Colorado
night #18 June 18 - Cottonwood Pass, Colorado

So 18 nights in the bush over the last 10 weeks. Not bad, but I wish it was more! The first three nights were spent in 3 different states, kinda cool. I should have a few more nights camped in WY and/or Idaho after this 4th of July weekend. The Condo has turned out to be a real asset to my outdoor experience and I find myself wanting to be out on the trail even more now.

A recent pic from the ExPo trip to Leadville, courtesy of bigreen505. Thanks Bill!
LeadvilleExPoT1002.jpg

Last edited:

oly884

I'm re-read this thread again last night and I'm getting so excited to get my camper, only a couple more weeks!

:jump:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I'm sure the anicipation is agonizing David! Soon, very soon....

So you re-read the whole thread? Must have taken all night! :xxrotflma

...might as well update

night #19 July 1 - Viva Naughton resevoir, Kemmerer, WY
night #20 July 2 - Grey's River, near Alpine, WY
night #21 July 3 - Grey's River, near Alpine, WY

...and a link to a trip thread from Grey's River, with pics

The next 10-20 nights should include camping in Yellowstone NP, Montana, Glacier NP, Idaho and perhaps Oregon.
I may be headed out as soon as next week. :wavey:

Last edited:

blupaddler

Conspirator
I don't know if I have said this yet...

But, I must admit that I really like the way the camper fits on your T100. It doesn't stick out very far at all compared to how others do that I have seen.

:jump:

:truck:

Scott Brady

Founder
yes, very cool. It is nice to see that several on the forum own, or are buying a 4wheel pop-up.

The real world experiences are great.

I meant to ask you. How did the truck work in Colorado over the trails? Have you noticed any difference in performance off-road with the camper?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
kcowyo said:
An update to the thread, though more for me. I want to keep track of how many nights I use the camper this year, lately dubbed by others as the "Condo," which I kind of like.

That's too funny. My truck's been given the adhoc name of 'Hilux Hilton' because of the WilderNest.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
That's great Dave!

I've always been great at coming up with nicknames for others but since acquiring the blandly named "T100", I've hit a creative block for my own outfit. So when a guy whose handle is GoodTimes, dubs it the "Condo", you just have to trust his judgement!

And for pskhaat who asked, I will post up a "new curtain mod" thread soon. If it's not to yag!! :xxrotflma

blupaddler, that was the whole appeal to this particular model, getting a flush fit to the bedsides. You really should see it in person. ;)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
expeditionswest said:
I meant to ask you. How did the truck work in Colorado over the trails? Have you noticed any difference in performance off-road with the camper?

I thought it did great in Colorado.

You know I'm more into the "touring" than technical trips, especially with this outfit. As I recall the short trail up to the first campsite was probaly the closest thing to a scrabble and it moved over and through everything OK. On the long and steep descent after we crossed the snowbank, it was an effort to keep it from wanting to run away. But I had the same problem with the lighter CJ when I ran CO trails before. Sometimes lo & lo just ain't lo enough!

At this point, low overhanging trees and such are more of a concern than getting off camber. It took a day or two in Utah to get used to the feeling of going up and down steps, often off camber. But with the unique mounting system, and the low COG with adequete distribution of my gear, it seems to bounce along as effortlessly as durango_60's FZJ80. Kind of a taller and boxier feeling than just a pick up, but it handles like one solid unit, not a combo outfit. The 3.4 is up to the task of moving the weight around all day with no problems and the 4.30 gears do help get the load moving and slowed down.

The airbags and adjustable shocks are working very well together. The side to side jounce has been nearly eliminated. Combine those with the 285's aired down to 19 PSI, the long wheelbase and sport seats, and the truck is up to the task. A brake upgrade would be a good idea before adding too much more weight. I'm stuck trying to think of a trail I've been down in the Jeep or the '85 that I wouldn't take this truck on. Some armor would be nice though.

More images from Darren -

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0296.jpg
    IMG_0296.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1216.jpg
    IMG_1216.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_0903.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 224

kcowyo

ExPo Original
kcowyo said:
The next 10-20 nights should include camping in Yellowstone NP, Montana, Glacier NP, Idaho and perhaps Oregon.

Turned out to be 40 nights.....

...and followed that up with a long weekend in Cali. (Can you say "Cali", if you're not from there?)

Total nights camped in the FWC last year - 60. Sweet......:rockon:

I've been getting a few emails lately, asking about the camper so a quick update as already one year has passed since that great trip to Idaho, to bring it home last Easter.

After 60 nights, I can definitely say this has been the biggest boon to my adventures in years. I love the security and comfort it provides while still allowing me to roam the backcountry trails I enjoy. The only negatives have been the loss of MPG's (worth it) and not having used a spacer between the camper body and the front wall of my pickup bed. The top front bed rail got tweaked pretty good and will require some BFH work.

Following the trip to Death Valley over Thanksgiving weekend, I pulled the camper off for the winter. I was anticipating spending most of my winter snowmobiling and towing my trailer. Mother Nature and El Nino saw that it didn't happen that way. So it sits in the backyard, a silent temptress as the warm weather arrives.

I've made a small list of improvements I hope to make to the camper. I've been in touch with former FWC owner and current owner of All Terrain Campers, Ben Burnett about some upgrades. I'm hoping to visit his facility in Sacramento, CA next Fall in anticipation of making my FWC experience even better. My short wish list of upgrades and improvements includes -
  • ditch the icebox for an Engel fridge
  • add the screen door
  • get the wider 36" (?) door
  • add a solar panel up top
  • add a Fiamma awning
  • update or upgrade the sleeping cushions to memory foam
  • reinstall the bench that was removed by the PO
  • ditch the dining table for something bigger than a lunch tray
From a comfort/convenience stand point, replacing the bench is at the top of my list. I like the easier access to the turnbuckles and the open floor space that not having the bench allows for. But I would prefer a little more secure storage and to have the bench to kick back on, at the end of the day or in a rainy camp.

The one other priority is a way to carry extra fuel. I've pulled into enough gas stations with the "E-light" on to know that a simple 5 gallon can would be enough in most situations. Just figuring where and how to carry it.

I'm hoping our next outing will be in May, for my annual pilgrimage to Yellowstone NP over Memorial Day Weekend. Following that in June, a return to Canyonlands NP, specifically the Maze District for a Father's Day Weekend trip. I'll be joined by my 6 year old son for his first trip to Moab. Should be a blast!!

Utah049.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94