Four Wheel Camper - A Review

kcowyo

ExPo Original
It may be a trade secret, so I'll let Chuck tell if he wants. If he doesn't, let me know. I'll tell ya'.

He was a very handsome lizard though. Buff too from all of those push ups. Here's a couple more, before and after he dined on Chuck -

....I should have more pics and details in a trip report that I'm working on.

Attachments

• Utah 697.jpg
    Utah 697.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 246
  • Utah 708.jpg
    Utah 708.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 253

Scott Brady

Founder
MED_collard_lizard.JPG

marke

Hey kcowyo, try putting 3/8" nuts onto the turn buckles to lock them down. I too have a Four Wheel camper and found that the only way to keep the turnbuckles tight is to lock them with nuts. It works well. I found out the hard way on a trip to Death valley. After driving aroud all day on some rough washboard roads, the camper actually came loose from the truck and slammed into the cab. Luckily all of the turn buckles were retrieved and reconnected. I love our FWC. After many trips to the desert, sierras and 5 weeks to Alaska it has worked out great. Mark E

VikingVince

Explorer
kcowyo said:
I'm hesitant to say portable fridge because I really want to focus on front and rear end protection with recovery points for now. An old school cooler in the cab, behind tinted windows and with the A/C on may have to suffice. Although Darren made a valid and tempting argument for the fridge/freezer set up when he mentioned the possibility of ice cream on the trail.

Oh no...get the fridge first:jumping: :jumping: ...just my personal bias but life on the trail is sooo much nicer with a fridge (will come in handy with the kids too)...and I'd try to work it into the camper, not the back seat of the truck....it's so convenient getting up in the morn and having the fridg right there in the camper or whenever you cook it's nice to have it right there rather than having to go in the truck and carry stuff back to the camper...you have a great design with that camper...putting the fridge in the truck would work against that design (unlike other guys who have it that way because they cook outside) ....also, I know space is at a premium so why not pull that ice box out and find a fridge that would work in that space with some other alteration if necessary.

re prioritizing your mods, I guess it depends on what trails you plan on doing...but I think a few others here might put the fridge before the front and rear end protection...this brings back memories...one of the first things that attracted me to offroading were the offroad fridges!!!...that's not exactly a hardcore priority I know...but it got me hooked:exclaim:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I used blue Loctite on our turnbuckles, which also did the trick. You could also safety-wire them, as I think someone else suggested.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
atavuss said:
how did you guys manage to catch the collared lizard?! from what I have read/heard they are very wary and will not even allow you to get close at all to them. FWIW I used to have collared lizards as pets, they were captive bred by a Dr. in the San Diego area. the male in his breeding colors is a very impressive animal!

I noosed him. Noosing is the easiest way to catch most lizards with very little chance of harming them. I have more pics of the trip I'll post after KC starts a trip report thread. :ylsmoke:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
VikingVince said:
Oh no...get the fridge first...and I'd try to work it into the camper, not the back seat of the truck....it's so convenient getting up in the morn and having the fridg right there in the camper or whenever you cook it's nice to have it right there rather than having to go in the truck and carry stuff back to the camper...you have a great design with that camper...putting the fridge in the truck would work against that design

re prioritizing your mods, I guess it depends on what trails you plan on doing...but I think a few others here might put the fridge before the front and rear end protection...

Haven't you corrupted me enough Vince?! :xxrotflma

My first thought was to replace the ice box with an Engel, but fellow T100 owner and new Engel owner Joel Ericson brought up a great point in his thread that I hadn't considered. If I mount a fridge in the cab, then I can take it with me should I wind up with a different truck someday. Also I don't anticipate keeping the camper on the truck year round (but I might) so if I take the truck out for a weekend trip, without the camper, I'll still have the fridge with me.

I was able to utilize both sliding windows on the camper and truck to access the gear in my extended cab very well. At night I would pull my sleeping bag, pillow and a change of clothes for the next day, through the windows. In the AM, I would shove my bed stuff back through the windows to the cab, saving myself running laps around the truck. Although you get used to the little back door quickly, the less trips in and out, the better it is on the knees and forehead!

Now everyone has their own routine and system, but last fall I travelled with my big cooler in the back seat and had immediate access to it while on the trail. I drink about a six pack of Diet Coke a day, so having quick access to my canned sugary stomach acid is key. Last week I kept the cooler ( I brought it just in case. Lucky call.) in the camper and everytime I needed a fresh beverage, I would have to stop or wait for a stop, run back to the camper, crawl in, and fish out a cold one from the cooler. Then hop out and jump back in the cab and try to catch up with Darren. It was kind of a PITA. If I put the cooler or fridge in the back seat of the cab, I'll still be able to access it for cooking in the camper through the sliding windows without having to get out. Plus, I'll be able to grab the sweet intoxicating nectar that is Diet Coke, while on the trail without stopping.

Knowing very little about the operating temps, etc. of fridges right now, it would seem that it wouldn't work as hard and maybe be a little more efficient nestled in the tinted shade and A/C of the cab....? I don't know that for sure, but I know there is no air moving in the camper and it gets a little stuffy back there while riding in the hot sun. I'm a ways off from making a decision, but this is why I'm thinking the way I am. Any fridge owners have a different point for me to consider? I'm all ears....

Re the front end protection - Part of it is vanity, as I was never smitten with the looks of a T100. To me it was too similar to the new F150's of that time. The look has grown on me but I would like to give the truck a more aggressive look. Because there is only one option for a mass produced bumper/grill guard for the T, I'm looking at custom options which ups my uniqueness factor quite a bit, and I dig being unique! Plus I will "use" a new front bumper everyday. A fridge will be awesome for trips, but Monday through Friday it's just dead weight in the truck. Maybe if I spent a good portion of my day stuck in big city traffic a fridge might be nice to have with me, filled with Crown and root beer ( trust me and try it) but I work within 3 blocks of my home so the truck mostly sits during the weekdays.

The other part is that I have no recovery points on the truck. This was a big concern before the Utah trip, but I didn't need them after all. A winch isn't in the plans right now, but if I were to stumble on a deal for one, it would be nice to have a place to mount it. It just seems when you add 700 lbs to your truck, that it would be wise (and responsible) to have a place to receive a tug from, if necessary. I think it would be nice to have a stout bumper with a notch to use a hi-lift too. I could add some nice lights too, but what I really need before lights for night driving is an appointment with the eye doc. I can't see at night worth a poop and it's not because it's not bright enough out there.

Anyone see a flaw in my plan? I'd rather take the harsh truth here on the board than find out on the trail that I'm off the mark -

VikingVince

Explorer
kcowyo said:
Haven't you corrupted me enough Vince?!

LOL...KC, I believe you've outthunk me on this fridge issue...at least for your priorities and situation...but...tis true...I am into corruption:D :D

kcowyo said:
If I mount a fridge in the cab, then I can take it with me should I wind up with a different truck someday. Also I don't anticipate keeping the camper on the truck year round (but I might) so if I take the truck out for a weekend trip, without the camper, I'll still have the fridge with me.

Now that hadn't even occurred to me...that you might take the camper off. Sounds like a royal PITA to me...LOL. But regardless...you could still take the fridge with you someday wherever you mount it...no?

kcowyo said:
Now everyone has their own routine and system, but last fall I travelled with my big cooler in the back seat and had immediate access to it while on the trail. I drink about a six pack of Diet Coke a day, so having quick access to my canned sugary stomach acid is key. Last week I kept the cooler ( I brought it just in case. Lucky call.) in the camper and everytime I needed a fresh beverage, I would have to stop or wait for a stop, run back to the camper, crawl in, and fish out a cold one from the cooler. Then hop out and jump back in the cab and try to catch up with Darren. It was kind of a PITA. If I put the cooler or fridge in the back seat of the cab, I'll still be able to access it for cooking in the camper through the sliding windows without having to get out.

That makes sense to me:bowdown: :) I guess it comes down to individual style and needs. Because I like to stay in one place for a number of days, I just wouldn't consider anything other than the fridge in the camper...and, for me, I know I would never take the camper off the truck.

kcowyo said:
Knowing very little about the operating temps, etc. of fridges right now, it would seem that it wouldn't work as hard and maybe be a little more efficient nestled in the tinted shade and A/C of the cab....? I don't know that for sure, but I know there is no air moving in the camper and it gets a little stuffy back there while riding in the hot sun. I'm a ways off from making a decision, but this is why I'm thinking the way I am. Any fridge owners have a different point for me to consider? I'm all ears....

Well, that has not been an issue for me. I have a really good auxilliary battery (Concorde Lifeline AGM with 110 amp hours...I believe none of the Optimas are more than 50-70 AH)...but you'd have to rig up your aux battery to your starter battery/generator, with an isolator so it charges while you're driving.etc It's the only way to go,IMO :) I've sat in 90 degree weather for 4 days with no fridge problems

kcowyo said:
Re the front end protection - Part of it is vanity, as I was never smitten with the looks of a T100. To me it was too similar to the new F150's of that time. The look has grown on me but I would like to give the truck a more aggressive look.

Believe me, I understand the "look" thing...lol...most of us do:) I love the look of my truck with the ARB bumper and winch...it's just one of those "things"...lol...but still, unless you're doing hardcore trails, I'd priortize the fridge over the bumpers.

kcowyo said:
The other part is that I have no recovery points on the truck.

You can add tow hooks in the front and back for minimal dollars...I've spent alot of dollars on my truck...and yes I like the way it "looks"...but if I were to do it over, I'd be a little more discretionary and just spend money on stuff I really NEED...

kcowyo said:
Anyone see a flaw in my plan? I'd rather take the harsh truth here on the board than find out on the trail that I'm off the mark -

I don't think anyone would tell you you're off the mark...not me anyway...especially considering the time/research you put into choosing the FW camper. Besides, I'm not that "serious.":) We all love the results of spending bucks on our trucks!! Being an investment/finance dude, I tend to think in terms of best return on dollars spent:D :D

Last edited:

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Hey Vince, I'll have a go at corrupting him as well...

KC, I definitely think the Fridge/Freeze needs to come next. Front end protection and the winch are nice, but I've already used the Engel more than either of those mods. I love the Engel 45 and it proved to be a wonderful mod to make before our trip to Big South Fork a few weekends ago.

Like yourself KC, Amy and I are addicted to that sweet nectar Diet Coke... though we don't polish off a 6-pack a day. :hehe: In any case, if you are a true believer in Diet Coke, you know that the colder it is the better, as long as it isn't slushy (though slushy has its merits) or solid. The best is to have it at that perfect temperature, right before slushy. So cold that you feel it going down. Yum! Well, imagine if you will, that every Diet Coke you grab on the go is that perfect temperature. Imagine no more! You can realize that wonderful circumstance with the Engel 45. Best of all, the back-o-the-cab solution allowed for that anytime we wanted on the road. Heck, on one trail we were riding Amy made sandwiches in the cab while I surveyed the trail ahead by foot.

The freedom of food packing/consumption was a HUGE benefit. Raw meat wasn't an issue. We simply froze the meat items that would be consumed later in the trip (so they would be thawed on the day we wanted them). Meat items for earlier in the trip were simply refridgerated. I can't tell you how nice it was not to worry about meat spoiling. The quality of our eating vastly increased.

As far as power consumption... don't give it a second thought. With the amount of driving you did on your trip an Engel would have been fine in the cab or in the camper. I only have one battery on the truck, and it easily powered the Engel throughout the nights and the days.

The mounting I have in the back of the cab is easily convertable back to normal Xtracab use. So you could mount in the camper sometimes and in the cab other times. In addition, when not in use in my truck I'm pretty sure it is going to be my garage fridge... so I can imbibe the sweet nectar while wrenching!

Just some thoughts...

Like Vince though, I'm not willing to say you're off the mark... that 4 Wheel Camper is amazing proof of how on the mark you are regarding modding a T100 for expedition travel.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
HongerVenture said:
Hey Vince, I'll have a go at corrupting him as well...

Hey! No fair, teaming up!!

...luckily I'm pure enough to resist corruption... yeah right.....

HongerVenture said:
In any case, if you are a true believer in Diet Coke, you know that the colder it is the better, as long as it isn't slushy (though slushy has its merits) or solid. The best is to have it at that perfect temperature, right before slushy.

Mmmmm....slushy Diet Coke....arrgghhghh..........

HongerVenture said:
The mounting I have in the back of the cab is easily convertable back to normal Xtracab use. So you could mount in the camper sometimes and in the cab other times.

OK, that's what I'm talking about. I don't want to just replace the stand up ice box in the camper with a fridge. I have zero desire to tear into the camper's galley. If I were to get a fridge, I would want to keep it as portable as possible. When I'm out solo, I'd like to keep it in the cab. When I have both kids with me and their gear, it would probably work better to keep a fridge in the camper. Thus my quandry....

With the heavy snows we get around here, it is very likely I'll remove the camper in the dead of winter. The roof is rated to hold up to a thousand pounds, but I'm not sure how many inches of snow on the camper would equal 1,000 lbs....? With the majority of back roads and campgrounds around here snowed in and closed for the winter, I won't be able to do many quick weekend camping trips. If I can make a trip south, to more temperate winter climates, I can always take 15 minutes to put the camper back on.

Geez, I need a drink..................:D

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
KC, I think the roof is rated to hold a thousand pounds of snow (i.e. evenly distributed weight) open. It would probably hold a lot more than that closed.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Talking of snow on the roof:
When I picked up my 4W camper the salesman reminded me to ALWAYS carry a broom and ladder (or steps). You never know when you are going to get snow in the mountains, and you can't raise or lower the roof if it is covered in even 2" of wet snow.
Cheers
Mark

kcowyo

ExPo Original
OutbacKamper said:
You never know when you are going to get snow in the mountains, and you can't raise or lower the roof if it is covered in even 2" of wet snow.
Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark. That's why I'm considering taking it off in the winter. Unless I'm going on a trip, I'll probably store it during the heavy snow months. This was part of my original plan and how I justified living with the drop in gas mileage with the camper, because I knew it would not be on the truck year round.

That's a big perk with this unit, that it can be put on and taken off, rather quickly and easily. I don't anticipate a lot of nights winter camping around here. In the winter, my free time is generally reserved for snowmobiling. It will be a lot easier hooking up and towing the trailer without the camper on the truck too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94