Four Wheel Camper 300' Rollover

Ovrlnd Rd

Adventurer
Hawk flatbed had a headache rack(rollbar) cab height. It kept the back section of the cab from crushing down. The FWC unit that was ejected during the rolls.

The FWC didn't separate until after the 1st roll (maybe they need better tiedowns). The driver credited the camper with saving the full roof from collapsing on him.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I don't know if this has been posted but think Four Wheel Camper should use it in their sales brochures.

View attachment 623565View attachment 623567
Looks to me like the camper came of
The FWC didn't separate until after the 1st roll (maybe they need better tiedowns). The driver credited the camper with saving the full roof from collapsing on him.
Maybe the initial rollover,but after that the airbags and the cabs structural strength came in to protect him it appears. The headache rack did it's job too.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
To assume that the camper provided much protection is reaching, considering this photo from the article.

With the limited damage to the camper (relative to the truck) it certainly looks like the camper removed itself from the truck pretty early.

Either way ANY amount of protection helps, and by the looks of the camper Id say they are built pretty well. ;)

fullsizeoutput_206a-scaled.jpeg

billiebob

This is the best reason for buying a new vehicle. With no doubt the safety engineering in the structure, the secondary restraint air bags, just get better every year. For all I hate about computerized nanny control systems...... the safety factor in a new vehicle is light years ahead of anything 20 years ago. AND the FWC looks pretty good to.... no doubt FWC have a fabulous structure beneath the skin.

rruff

Explorer
For all I hate about computerized nanny control systems...... the safety factor in a new vehicle is light years ahead of anything 20 years ago.

Safety is way over rated IMO. I'd get rid of all that stuff if I had the option.

You take reasonable precautions, try not to be stupid, and let the chips fall where they may. None of us makes it out alive. When your number is up, there are millions of ways for it to happen... and rolling your vehicle off a cliff isn't even in the top million.

86scotty

Cynic
That's a little low, isn't it? He was actually trying to do work, which is how money is acquired, and he was also prepared as best he could be. ******** happens out there, how would you define anything he did as reckless?

rruff

Explorer
He was actually trying to do work.

After weeks of seclusion in the city, and suffering from a severe case of cabin fever, Sean decided to spend a weekend at his rural, mountain property near Laytonville, California. By the time he got there, it was raining heavily.

Sean needed Internet access to send some important documents for work and his cabin didn’t have it. Remembering that a nearby mountain had decent cell reception, he decided to take his camper, newly outfitted with a Weboost Drive X Cell Booster, to the top where he could send the documents. His massive tires slipped in the mud as he climbed the narrow forest road, but he wasn’t too worried because his truck was equipped with 4WD and lockers. Tree branches were his biggest concern.

"I always swerved to get away from branches on the right side to avoid scratching it. There was a part of the road that was narrower than most and I remember turning away to avoiding hitting the top of the camper and the left side got really close to the edge of the road, then the road just collapsed."

He was on 1 week vacation at a remote cabin without internet... in the rain (check weather forecast?). Wanted internet access... and attempted to drive to the top of a mountain in mud to get it. Didn't want to scratch his camper on tree branches, and ran off the road. I see several questionable items related to judgement.

86scotty

Cynic
"Sean needed Internet access to send some important documents FOR WORK and his cabin didn’t have it"

Also, are you seriously suggesting that the guy should've checked the weather forecast before going to his cabin for a week and not gone if there was any chance of rain, really?

I wasn't there, nor were you. I didn't say he made every right decision. I can bet he wanted to try out his new uber capable rig though and I bet he would've done things differently now. This is a better test than driving to Starbuck's. Isn't that why we have them?

My response had everything to do with Photobug's post, not armchair QB'ing everything the guy did or didn't do to your standard of recklessness.

Over and out.....

tacollie

Glamper
It's hard to say if the guy made the wrong choice without knowing the road. It's very possible we was over confident as many would be in a Ram Prospector. The camper probably softened the initial impact. There aren't enough details to make a clear judgement. Things happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94