Four Wheel Camper ‘Project M’

Got word from my dealer last week that my camper will be ready for instal in SLC the week of March 15...quite a longer wait than the 27 weeks I was told when ordering on July 1. I was told it is due to Covid delays, anybody else gotten an updated wait time? I was also told that large passenger window is actually not an option for 5' bed Tacoma, ended up going with a small passenger window to get good airflow for the dog.

LStU

Ordered on June 24th and have an estimated ship date of Jan. 20th (30 weeks). I'm on the east coast so expected install is the next week (week 31). 5' mid-size, w/ passenger window, thermal pack, pre-wired, yakima tracks, two powered roof fans, and 80/20s on both sides.

I'm putting it on a 2019 Nissan Frontier Crew 4x4. Frontiers beds are a little smaller than Tacoma's so it'll likely hang over the sides a little more. I plan to add my own bedding, water and gas rotopaxs, road shower 4 (7 gal), and just use a insulated cooler at first. Longer-term additions will be solar, arb/dometic fridge/freezer, 270 awning, board racks, and mclean hitch hammock with yakima backswing hitch adapter.

I plan to follow the truck tailgate sealing advice from this thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/fwc-project-m-project.650163/

Last edited:

LStU

I believe they told me 27 weeks plus shipping to the East coast. But they said build times were changing and they'd confirm after the order was placed. I guess we'll technically be getting a 2021 model for the 2020 price? I've seen 4wc products promoted this way.

JMyerz

Adventurer
I'd have to agree. The Project M, while I enjoy the layout, seems like a rushed concept that was put out just to capture market share. I looked at them all and was the least impressed with the finish quality of the Project M vs Pricepoint. I'm not saying it isn't well built (It is), it is just is a little rough around the edges inside, the rear door leaves a lot to be desired, the side doors don't have gas struts, its HEAVY and at the base price doesn't even include the mattress.

In the end I went with the Super Pacific Camper but AT or Vagabond would be my second choice.

After seeing them both in person next to each other, the AT Overland Atlas seems far superior to the Project M to me.

beef tits

Can you elaborate on this? Thanks.

AT Overland’s products are welded sheet aluminum. Very solid looking. The Project M is just the top half of a FWC, so typical RV siding on frame with visible screws and sealant gooping out.

as stated above, the door is a crap design.

Not that the Project M isn’t actually solid, it just looks cheap and like it was thrown together next to the AT lineup.

I would, hands down, buy at AT over the Project M.

Nvbrian

Appricate the insights. My only beef (besides being $$$) with AT's design is the fact that it has sloped sides. This definitely makes for a more aesthethic look but really limits the space for using the camper.

I'm really surprised no one who owns an AT atlas or an M has posted a rig walk around video on YouTube. All I can find is the generic M rig walk around from a pre production model.

thesuzukimethod

Appricate the insights. My only beef (besides being $$$) with AT's design is the fact that it has sloped sides. This definitely makes for a more aesthethic look but really limits the space for using the camper.

I'm really surprised no one who owns an AT atlas or an M has posted a rig walk around video on YouTube. All I can find is the generic M rig walk around from a pre production model.

I'll post one when we get ours sometime in 2021, lol.

We went through the same thing with AT vs. FWC/M. I showed my partner the pictures, and we reflected on that year we lived out of an 83 vanagon westy camper (make an offer, haha), and while I really felt AT had the design dialed in, the boxy/roomy-ness of the M won us over. Our FWC rep down here is AT, and they even agreed the M was a better fit for us based on what we had said. AT Overland has been just great to work with btw...plug plug.

beef tits

I prefer the sloped sides and smaller profile of the AT setups. It should have more clearance and slightly better MPG to boot.

FWC is bigger than it needs to be IMO, but I have an 8’ bed so anything seems cavernous.

thesuzukimethod

Yeah, We looked at the Project M and the OVRLND camper, along with the ATs. Boxy vs. streamlined.

After a year living out of that 83 camper van with 2 people and 3 dogs, there were times we just needed a bit more room. We are probably over-compensating for something that is mostly a long weekender rig (same 2 people, different 3 dogs) + some occasional long term fieldwork travel.

socceronly

Curious about the dust problem I see people citing here and on other sites.

In a regular truck canopy, people say dust is a problem. How does the dust get in exactly? Is the edge not sealed well enough? The tailgate? The seal between the topper door and the tailgate?

Thanks
JM

Last edited:

skyfree

I was really interested in the OVRLND pop-tops too. Pricewise they were in the same ballpark given the options, but a bit more of a custom fit. The guy that runs the company seems really cool... The estimate was 12 months though.

The wait for an OVRLND is not as long now since they hired more workers and ramped up production. I put my deposit down on May 3rd and it was complete last week: total of 6 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles