Four Wheel Camper ‘Project M’

Jigidy

Thanks for the reply. Your set up looks good. Plenty of room in that 8 ft bed!

I'm looking at a very basic set up, much like you. I want to go with the passenger small window as well and probably a roof vent or two.
Two areas I am unsure on are the thermal pack and the mattress. I see you went with the thermal pack. Is it what you expected? I know it's summer so you probably haven't really needed it yet. Also the mattress option at $850 seems ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I can put something together at a fraction of that price. What are you using?
Also, was there an "installation fee" when you took delivery? The build out pricing page shows $595 for installation. But it just clamps on to your bed rails essentially?
Yes I went with a very basic set up, no power, no solar, no lights, no mattress. I did get the thermal pack (good eye on that one), extra window (cross breeze for the dog while we drive) I also got the yakima tracks as I already owned towers and bars and thought they might be good for hauing a SUP or our rocket box if needed, although I haven't bothered to put them on yet. My dealer did charge an install fee but they knocked $200 off the original $595 as I mentioned the same thing...all they had to do was wire up the 3rd brake light, and I already had a wire ready from my old shell. Install took around 2 hours as they still had to install bulb seal, line up the camper just right and install the rear lift gate "plate" that matches the back of my truck.

I ordered the thermal pack as we often camp in the "shoulder" seasons and I plan to use it in the winter at least for lunch in the ski area parking lots and maybe even a ski overnight...not sure yet. I've left in so far and haven't seen a need to remove it.

I totally agree with you about the mattress there was no way I was going to pay $850 for a mattress. For now, we are using two Paco Pads, the same pads we use for river trips, they work just fine and since they are waterproof and super durable we can pull them outside to lounge in the shade and my wife likes to do Yoga on them.

I really wanted to use the Project M a few times before I made any upgrades or changes. Right now we are on the full "Fischer Price" build. We are using two Lifetime tables as our kid's beds, they work great as they fit across the bed rails/bench and we can remove one to use as a table outside or even inside if we want. They have a 300 lb weight limit so I can stand on them when I get into the upper bed. We have action packers and other assorted plastic bins to store and organize all our camping gear, clothes etc. I'm aiming for a modular system anything that is inside the camper can be taken outside if we need or put in the garage if I need to use the truck bed as a ....truck bed. We can also put all the gear in Project M to good use for river trips etc.

The only upgrade I want to make soon is installing some sort of 80/20 or L-track to the inside so I can mount hooks, shelves, and strap down gear while driving. I figure that as long as I'm putting it on the inside wall I'll mount through the camper wall and mount some on the outside as well for awnings, max trax, etc. I'm not quite ready to drill holes in the camper yet though and not sure exactly how to or what exactly I want yet.

I've been cooking with my old coleman stove on the tailgate but can cook inside if I need to. I plumbed up a 20lb propane tank so I can run my stove and my Mr. Buddy heater at the same time, but haven't needed the Mr. Buddy so far this summer.

We are headed out camping this weekend!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how other's build out there Project M's.

TMOD

Yes I went with a very basic set up, no power, no solar, no lights, no mattress. I did get the thermal pack (good eye on that one), extra window (cross breeze for the dog while we drive) I also got the yakima tracks as I already owned towers and bars and thought they might be good for hauing a SUP or our rocket box if needed, although I haven't bothered to put them on yet. My dealer did charge an install fee but they knocked $200 off the original $595 as I mentioned the same thing...all they had to do was wire up the 3rd brake light, and I already had a wire ready from my old shell. Install took around 2 hours as they still had to install bulb seal, line up the camper just right and install the rear lift gate "plate" that matches the back of my truck.

I ordered the thermal pack as we often camp in the "shoulder" seasons and I plan to use it in the winter at least for lunch in the ski area parking lots and maybe even a ski overnight...not sure yet. I've left in so far and haven't seen a need to remove it.

I totally agree with you about the mattress there was no way I was going to pay $850 for a mattress. For now, we are using two Paco Pads, the same pads we use for river trips, they work just fine and since they are waterproof and super durable we can pull them outside to lounge in the shade and my wife likes to do Yoga on them.

I really wanted to use the Project M a few times before I made any upgrades or changes. Right now we are on the full "Fischer Price" build. We are using two Lifetime tables as our kid's beds, they work great as they fit across the bed rails/bench and we can remove one to use as a table outside or even inside if we want. They have a 300 lb weight limit so I can stand on them when I get into the upper bed. We have action packers and other assorted plastic bins to store and organize all our camping gear, clothes etc. I'm aiming for a modular system anything that is inside the camper can be taken outside if we need or put in the garage if I need to use the truck bed as a ....truck bed. We can also put all the gear in Project M to good use for river trips etc.

The only upgrade I want to make soon is installing some sort of 80/20 or L-track to the inside so I can mount hooks, shelves, and strap down gear while driving. I figure that as long as I'm putting it on the inside wall I'll mount through the camper wall and mount some on the outside as well for awnings, max trax, etc. I'm not quite ready to drill holes in the camper yet though and not sure exactly how to or what exactly I want yet.

I've been cooking with my old coleman stove on the tailgate but can cook inside if I need to. I plumbed up a 20lb propane tank so I can run my stove and my Mr. Buddy heater at the same time, but haven't needed the Mr. Buddy so far this summer.

We are headed out camping this weekend!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how other's build out there Project M's.

Wow, great information!
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response. Helps a lot!

As mentioned above I also went without the $850 mattress option...I took measurements at the dealer and am going to order foam in the same dimensions from foamonline.com and have a local seamstress cover it with a waterproof cover, then a zip-off fabric that I like.

Options I added were:

large window on passenger (blind spot while driving, light inside as the interior is all black, dog window)
Ceiling fan
Pre-wire for solar and flood lights, interior lights
Yakima roof tracks
Jack stands w extension plates for easy removal

weight should be 550lb with jacks, under 500lb without. I was also able to get a discount for instal as I’m just having them mount it, I’ll do all electrical myself.

Jigidy

Thank you for the report on the camper. Is anyone having significant dust issues due to the tailgate?
I ordered a tailgate dust seal kit off of Amazon and installed that right away. So far dust has not been an issue. We've done quite a bit of dirt roads already but none have been super dusty yet, just "normal" dust so far. I'm headed pretty far into the mountains this weekend and I'm guessing I'll encounter lots of dust and I'll report back.

Daryl 32

We are looking at the Project M topper to replace our fiberglass topper. Getting to old and want to stand up inside.

Some questions for those who have one.

Do you worry about it sticking out on the side? Hitting it on a tree or mountain side?

Those that did not get the mattress option - does that mean you do not get the bed extension slide also?

Dog window?

this is our F250 currently - I have built some slide drawers for storage and really want to keep them. As well as leaving the compressor where it is and some of the wiring.

The awning is an Alu-cab shadow that I will be mounting on the Project M

A Christmas M 8.jpg

Truck camp layout 17.jpg

Truck camp layout 24.jpg

TMOD

We are looking at the Project M topper to replace our fiberglass topper. Getting to old and want to stand up inside.

Some questions for those who have one.

Do you worry about it sticking out on the side? Hitting it on a tree or mountain side?

Those that did not get the mattress option - does that mean you do not get the bed extension slide also?

Dog window?

this is our F250 currently - I have built some slide drawers for storage and really want to keep them. As well as leaving the compressor where it is and some of the wiring.

The awning is an Alu-cab shadow that I will be mounting on the Project M

I don't have one, but have spec'd one out and spoken to a dealer. You do get the bed extension, that is standard. You would need to take measurements and buy you own mattress of memory foam or whatever you wanted to do. Pretty sure it can be done for a fraction of the $850 fwc is asking.
There is a driver side window. Dealer tells me it is standard (and mandatory as an emergency exit) and is a slider with screens. A passenger side window can be added as an option, same size or larger. Should provide plenty of air and cross ventilation for pets.
Dealer is now telling me 15% deposit and build is 31 weeks out. I haven't pulled the trigger.

Jigidy

I don't have one, but have spec'd one out and spoken to a dealer. You do get the bed extension, that is standard. You would need to take measurements and buy you own mattress of memory foam or whatever you wanted to do. Pretty sure it can be done for a fraction of the $850 fwc is asking.
There is a driver side window. Dealer tells me it is standard (and mandatory as an emergency exit) and is a slider with screens. A passenger side window can be added as an option, same size or larger. Should provide plenty of air and cross ventilation for pets.
Dealer is now telling me 15% deposit and build is 31 weeks out. I haven't pulled the trigger.
Hi Daryl,
Nice set up, Project M will look good on that! My project M sticks out less than my rear view mirrors and less than my old Palomino, mine is the 8' model and is exactly 72" wide on the inside. As mentioned above the be slide out is standard as is one window with sliding glass and screen...perfect for dogs. I got an identical window on the passenger side for some cross breeze for my dog.

Update on the Dust. We did about 45 or so miles of dusty dirt roads this past weekend and did get some dust inside. It was very minimal but I could see if there was much more we'd want to wipe down some things before we used them. There are still a few gaps where the tailgate and lift window could be sealed up a bit better so I'll probably try that. So far the Project M has been a great set up for us.

Daryl 32

Hi Daryl,
Nice set up, Project M will look good on that! My project M sticks out less than my rear view mirrors and less than my old Palomino, mine is the 8' model and is exactly 72" wide on the inside. As mentioned above the be slide out is standard as is one window with sliding glass and screen...perfect for dogs. I got an identical window on the passenger side for some cross breeze for my dog.

Update on the Dust. We did about 45 or so miles of dusty dirt roads this past weekend and did get some dust inside. It was very minimal but I could see if there was much more we'd want to wipe down some things before we used them. There are still a few gaps where the tailgate and lift window could be sealed up a bit better so I'll probably try that. So far the Project M has been a great set up for us.

Thank you for your reply, what truck do you have?

Our 99 F250 has a double wall bed, the inner wall has HOLES in it. Some really big ones up top in the front. I have gone through two cans of expanding spray foam trying to close it all up. Dust comes off the tires and up into the bed.

I have also done a lot of work on the tail gate - still not all the way there yet. :(

Up rubber floor stripe between bed and bottom of tail gate - big help. Used home vinyl flooring aluminum edging to hood it down and edge it. It floods down and into the opening between the end of bed and tail gate.

You can see some of the spray in foam I have not trimmed yet in front of the ARB compressor.

First picture is draws covered for hauling - home improvement stuff. second camping.

Truck camp layout 17.jpg

Truck camp layout 21.jpg

Truck camp layout 34.jpg

Our DIY slide out drawers

Truck camp layout 38.jpg

Truck camp layout 39.jpg

Last edited:

Jigidy

Thank you for your reply, what truck do you have?

Our 99 F250 has a double wall bed, the inner wall has HOLES in it. Some really big ones up top in the front. I have gone through two cans of expanding spray foam trying to close it all up. Dust comes off the tires and up into the bed.

I have also done a lot of work on the tail gate - still not all the way there yet. :(

Up rubber floor stripe between bed and bottom of tail gate - big help. Used home vinyl flooring aluminum edging to hood it down and edge it. It floods down and into the opening between the end of bed and tail gate.

You can see some of the spray in foam I have not trimmed yet in front of the ARB compressor.

First picture is draws covered for hauling - home improvement stuff. second camping.

View attachment 601413

View attachment 601417

View attachment 601414

Our DIY slide out drawers

View attachment 601415

View attachment 601416
I have a 2007 Chevrolet, Crew Cab, Long Bed with the 6.0 Gas engine. I posted a few photos earlier in this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    679.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 359E5BAA-29B3-4CB0-BF79-4B6F8979CCC8.jpg
    359E5BAA-29B3-4CB0-BF79-4B6F8979CCC8.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 64

Daryl 32

Finally heard back from engineering at FWC and they do not have an M that will fit our 99 F250. :(

So we will have to look for something else.

InHotWater

Thank you for the report on the camper. Is anyone having significant dust issues due to the tailgate?

I'm having dust issues with the 2nd Gen Tacoma. I believe this problem is specific to 2nd gen Tacomas.

Back door doesn't seem to latch firmly. It often sticks on one side, and I've even been "locked out" even on level ground. I've adjusted the cable once. Lots of play in the door even when latched both sides.

Tailgate pic shows the foam weatherstripping that I installed. (patch) That 1" gap is a big flag.

Next up is researching a tailgate dust seal kit from Amazon, as someone previously mentioned.

Questions: Any other 2nd Gen Tacoma installs out there? Do you have the same issues? If not, what did they change? t1kIyCqKQjyc81e86lZACg.jpga7ZiRaV1SAypRApMUQCA0Q.jpg

Mine was first or second out the door in Woodland, installed Feb 29. Hoping they have made some fixes that I'm just not aware of.

Spencer for Hire

Thanks for the reply. Your set up looks good. Plenty of room in that 8 ft bed!

I'm looking at a very basic set up, much like you. I want to go with the passenger small window as well and probably a roof vent or two.
Two areas I am unsure on are the thermal pack and the mattress. I see you went with the thermal pack. Is it what you expected? I know it's summer so you probably haven't really needed it yet. Also the mattress option at $850 seems ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I can put something together at a fraction of that price. What are you using?
Also, was there an "installation fee" when you took delivery? The build out pricing page shows $595 for installation. But it just clamps on to your bed rails essentially?

Maybe the stripped shell version might be more suitable to your needs with a thermal pack, heater and solar installed. The "M" seems very expensive. I have a Hawk regular version. Starting shell prices are $12,995 .

thesuzukimethod

We just put a (15%) deposit on a project M - got lots of great help from our regional dealer, although there are some hidden (but understandable) costs, including:
$800 destination fee
$595 installation.
a couple hundred bucks for the installation kit (seals, etc.).
also tax. it adds up!

I'm happy to have an expert install the first time around, and we plan to leave it on the truck nearly full time, but it does add up a bit. I could see some of these being a little negotiable if they werent in such high demand and they already had campers in stock at the dealer but the time estimate already went up a couple weeks from when I checked in late July (now at 34 weeks).

we went with wired for power (I'll add solar +batteries myself), powered roof fan, and a large passenger slider window. All stuff that would be hard/impossible to change later. No bed, the FWC bed didn't look great and we're coming off an 83 VW Westy (with a 97 jetta engine...anyone looking, haha) and the built in bed wasn't what we needed/wanted. We're going to start with our camp pads or something to get a feel for the size and space, and then probably go for a pair of twin size memory foam mattresses (for a bit more than 1/2 the cost of the FWC mattresses).

I was really interested in the OVRLND pop-tops too. Pricewise they were in the same ballpark given the options, but a bit more of a custom fit. The guy that runs the company seems really cool... The estimate was 12 months though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles