Four Wheel Camper ‘Project M’

Oilbrnr

Whys that? If you order the right setup itll fit flush... unless you use a tiny truck that's overweight...

FWC doesn't seemingly make anything that fits flush with the beds of most trucks. They may fit between the wheel wells, but anything else, all bets are off unless you have the particular model truck that they built their jigs around. With this concept, they'll be forced to. Or one would hope.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Being able to have full walk around and access to cabinets/countertop/etc. with a queen/king bed. ie no sliding out a platform to make the bed that size which will be in your way.
The problem there, of course, is physics. To achieve what you're asking means a longer cabover, cantilevered out past the front wall of the bed. That's already a very long lever arm for the forces at work (lets assume a maximum-sized occupant right up against the forward wall of the camper). Going another 18 or 24 inches is something like 30%-40% additional load on the lever arm.

This is one area where hard-size campers have a distinct advantage. With a fixed roof and hard walls you can transfer a lot of that load to the walls. With a pop-up, all the strength has to be at bed level and in the 4-6" of "wall" that make up the under-bed storage. This may be why some of the other companies (Phoenix Pop-Ups comes to mind) have much taller fixed portions in their cabovers, even though their total roof height is about the same.

FourWheelOverland

Four_Wheel_Overland on Instagram
Being able to have full walk around and access to cabinets/countertop/etc. with a queen/king bed. ie no sliding out a platform to make the bed that size which will be in your way.

oh ok, so maybe a longer cabover area towards front of vehicle? I have a hawk with queen bed. I do not mind the slide out. I could see how it would take space with King slide out. We actually leave our slide out, out all the time. However it is a shell, and I build a kids bed/Couch against the front wall, so it just hangs over half that. no cabinets/countertops to be in the way of.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
We have shorter models available ?

The Raven Model will fit flush on a full sized short bed truck, with no overhang.

The Swift Model will fit flush on a mid-sized 6' bed truck, with no overhang.

Easy.

But that said, 99% of our customers seem to want the extra room inside the camper.

Doesn't matter to us. We have lots of options and choices available.

We even have camper models short enough where you can put the camper on and still close your tailgate.

:)

Attachments

• Ford F-250 camper # 1.jpg
    Ford F-250 camper # 1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 211

tacollie

Glamper
Personally I would rather slide the bed out than add weight to the camper. Our camper is flush with the trail lights. The appeal of a FWC is it's minimalism. The Project M is a great concept. It would be even better if they could get rid of the tailgate and do it with doors. Anybody who wants to corner the minimalist market could do it with barn doors.

Desert Dan

Explorer
I like having a tailgate when camping and having the wide door opening means you can use the truck for hauling large items as well. Security and dust sealing will be a challenge though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles