Four Weeks in Baja 2020

The next episode or our trip around Baja is now up on YouTube.

In this episode we drive rough 4x4 dirt tracks to visit the mission San Francisco de Borja. Drive along the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California) find a dynamite shack or jail, depending on who you talk ask, see wild horses, drive a sand track to Bahia las Animas where we camp on a deserted beach for a few days. Then it is off to see some cave paintings.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
It’s a jail. As you speculated in your video why would a dynamite shack have windows and barred doors, or be located so close to the town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Episode 3 is not up on Youtube and my website.

In this episode we cross the peninsula on a rough gravel road to to the Pacific Ocean and Laguna Ojo de Liebre (Scammons Bay) where we get up close and personal to grey whales. After spending the night in Guerrero Negro we head back across the Baja Peninsula toward our campsite on Conception Bay just south of Mulegé. Along the way we stop at San Ignacio to see the wonderfully preserved mission. Turning off Mexico Highway 1 towards El Burro we drive along the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California) enjoying the the beautiful views of both the sea and the desert. The 4x4 off road dirt track eventually leads us to Punta Chivato and then back to Mexico 1 to continue our journey south.

jus passin thru

Adventurer
For many years we used to camp on the beach and fish at Punta Chivata during the Winter. Didn’t see any campers, expensive houses must have put a stop to the tacky campers. For what it’s worth the name of the place is Chivata , female goat, the guy that built the hotel started using Chivato for male goat he thought it created a better image. Fun video but those places were a lot better in the last century or worse depending on your point of view. Mike

We stayed a few days in Chivato at the end of our trip. We heard all about its history from the owner of a small hotel there. An upcoming video will have more images of the place.

Episode 4 is not up on YouTube.

In episode 4 we continue south on Mexico 1 driving along Conception Bay and the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California). We bypass Las Posada for now and head for Loreto where we have lunch at Auggies restaurant and spend some time wandering around the town and visiting the Loreto Mission. We turn east off of Mexico 1 towards Bahia de Agua Verde. The road is paved for the first 12 kilometers and then turns into a 4x4 off road dirt track that leads across the desert and over the two sets of mountains providing breathtaking views of the Sea of Cortez and the deep ravines next to the road.

Exploring Baja California - Episode 4

Episode 5 is now up on YouTube.

In this episode we cross back to the west side of the peninsula and views of the Pacific Ocean. We stop at San Juanico and spend the night camping overlooking Scorpion Bay. The following day we head back to the east coast and the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California) on a rough 4x4 off road dirt track across the desert to visit the missions at La Purisima, San José de Comondú, and San Javier. Along the way we drive up a mountain, see beautiful palm studded valleys, and end up back in Loreto.

Last edited:
Episode 6 is now up on YouTube.

It is finely time to spend some quality time on the beautiful beaches along the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California). Our first stop is Juncalito a few miles south of Loretto where we spend three days relaxing, hiking and and enjoying the the beautiful views and meet up with some interesting people and play a bit of corn Hole. Next we head north to San Bassilio. The 4x4 off road gravel and dirt track across the desert eventually gets us to one of the most beautiful bays we have seen on the trip.

Exploring Baja California - Episode 6

canoel

I have really been enjoying your Baja series on Youtube, Larrie.
I love the simplicity of your videos, makes me feel like I am right there with you, thanks!
It's been a couple years since we have been to Baja, makes me long to go back...

The last episode our our four week trip exploring Baja California is now up on YouTube

Our last couple of days takes us along Conception Bay where we stop to check out some beaches at Playa Burro and Posada Concepción, have lunch at the historic Hotel Sirinad, get some hand pies in Mulegé before spending a few days relaxing and exploring at Punta Chivato. After enjoying the beach there we head west across the Baja Peninsula to Guerrero Negro, then north on Mexico 1 before taking the new road to the east towards San Felipe and Pete’s Camp for the night. Then it is north to cross the border at Mexicali/Calexico and home.

I hope you enjoyed watching our adventures as much as we did experiencing them.

To read more about our adventures in Baja and see photographs of the trip visit our travel blog.

Exploring Baja California - Episode 7

jus passin thru

Adventurer
Your videos are very good but terrible at the same time , what I knew was going to happen has hapened. I went to Baja at least once a year from 1976 to 2001, camped on a beach brought a boat and fished. Great times. All those beaches with a couple of campers. Just a fishing village at Agua Verda no campers and no restaurants. I spent a month more than once at Punta Chivato camping on the point near the lighthouse, had meals at the hotel a few times and even spent a spent a night on our anniversary. Our camper was better. They were starting to divide up the land and lease lots when we were last there in 2001 and we were going to lease and build and we’re sitting in the lawyers office to sign the papers when I realized it was all going to change and backed out and never went back. We got into full time RVing for several years never went to back to Baja. The water looks the same but the beaches sure don’t. My wife keeps wanting to go back but your very good videos cured her. Thanks. Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94