Found very heavy duty tent stakes at Home Depot

VicMackey

Adventurer
I have been meaning to get a couple of workhorse tent stakes for windy situations. Kept putting off going to the local Army/Navy supply. Was bumping around Home Depot and came across this stake. Cost was $3.50. I put it next to a standard size spray paint can for size reference.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Also at Home Depot:
View attachment stake.docx
These are steel and cost about $2.00. I bring a 4 pound mini sledge hammer. They come is long lengths if needed. NEVER break and can be driven into anything softer than granite. I paint the top several inches white for visibility at night. Don't want to kick one of these in the dark when walking around camp. I have also had great success with rebar with the end cut off at an angle so it is sharp enough to drive into hard dirt.
Just another option.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use large nails (12 to 18 inches) also called spikes with a washer welded to the side at the top. Rebar also works, just grind the end to form a point.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've been using those for years as a land anchor for my kayak and bait bucket, also my tarp. Works especially well in soft sand.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
The Al military stakes are the dogs rod. Can be had for anywhere from 50 cents to a couple bucks. Nest together well for storage,never break. Pound into hardpan gravel no problem.

pluton

Adventurer
The Snow Peak forged steel stakes can be pounded into sandstone. 2nd choice would be the Army steel ones. No need for aluminum if one is car camping.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
The Snow Peak forged steel stakes can be pounded into sandstone. 2nd choice would be the Army steel ones. No need for aluminum if one is car camping.

For those who don't sleep on sandstone or car camp exclusively, the Al stakes are superior. No sparking and quiet are other pluses.

Nomad1

Observer
Large branch a foot or more long cut sharp at one end and notch at the other cost free and if left behind will decompose.
I find any of the plastic ones will brake in short order and are a waste of $ if you just have to pay/spend your money go for the metal pegs over plastic....

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Where in Home Depot?

Usually in the construction materials section. At mine, they're next to the pre-cut lumber, 1/2 and 1/4-size plywood sheets, etc.

Here's the thing about stakes - use the right tool for the job.

All the Tim-the-Toolman-super-tough metal spikes are useless as a wet noodle in desert or beach sand. I've seen 18" rebar rods work themselves loose over nothing more than a couple of hours of wind blowing on an awning. That's when you deploy the cross-headed plastic ones like VicMackey posted. With the cross section, they seem to hold MUCH better, even in loose sand. As you might guess, though, they're useless in packed earth.

So carry an assortment. And probably don't spend too much.

JackW

Explorer
Bought some US Army surplus aluminum stakes at the local Army Navy store for $1.49 each. I have some of those big plastic stakes I bought at Harbor Freight which work ok in soft ground but break pretty easily.

altaboy

Observer
Re sand/snow: I pack about a gazillion plastic shopping bags. Put a couple inside each other (maybe 3), dig hole, fill bag with snow (pack tightly) or sand, run tent line through all the handles, then bury those bad boys.

Do for every tent line.

Those bag handles are incredible strong if bag/anchor is tripled up (that is, 6 bag loops for tent line to attach to).

This can be used when tenting on rock slab (think moab) with rocks inside bags.

Which i could take credit for idea...read it somewhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier