FOUND Vans For Sale!

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Too good to pass up? Gotta convince the wife. The 5 year old already said go for it!

If only I wasn't on the East Coast, i'd ride up and check it out

Last edited:

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Question, i'm hunting for a diesel. But, will a 5.4 get the rig rolling if converted to 4WD and bigger tires? Sure Maryland is pretty flat, but when the excursions venture further west and into the mountains of West Virgina, curious if i'll be that guy slowly trucking up the hills.

desertspeed

Adventurer
Question, i'm hunting for a diesel. But, will a 5.4 get the rig rolling if converted to 4WD and bigger tires? Sure Maryland is pretty flat, but when the excursions venture further west and into the mountains of West Virgina, curious if i'll be that guy slowly trucking up the hills.

I have the 5.4 in my 01 F150 Supercrew, and it is a pretty good engine as long as you are not doing too much heavy towing. When it used to be my daily driver I used it occasionally to tow my pretty light buggy and it did fine- you just need to take it easy in the mountains. In my case I will be towing my F150 (which is a pretty built prerunner and close to 8-9K with the trailer), so I really need the V10 or the diesel. If you are not doing any towing, I would absolutely consider the 5.4. They are much easier to find.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. I plan on towing my CJ once I get that project completed. The problem is my weekend place in the mountains, is in the mountains. Probably continue my quest for the diesel.

desertspeed

Adventurer
Found this while searching (if you are ok with a Quigley and the 6.0. Diesel).

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/3151966115.html

An easy fly-n-drive from San Diego or?

Thanks for keeping an eye out, but I def. want a 2WD so I can do a UJoint conversion myself. I have the tools/skills to do it and really enjoy the build process. Plus it gives me a chance to learn a lot about the van and hopefully catch any potential issues before I take it on a long Baja trip.

NLPRacing

Observer
Thanks for keeping an eye out, but I def. want a 2WD so I can do a UJoint conversion myself. I have the tools/skills to do it and really enjoy the build process. Plus it gives me a chance to learn a lot about the van and hopefully catch any potential issues before I take it on a long Baja trip.

You can do a Ujoint conversion to a Quigley. It might even be cheaper in the long run versus having to source axles, transfer case, modify fuel tank, etc. if you can get the Quigley cheap enough.

CrabbyMcNab

Adventurer
You can do a Ujoint conversion to a Quigley. It might even be cheaper in the long run versus having to source axles, transfer case, modify fuel tank, etc. if you can get the Quigley cheap enough.

Doesn't the Quigley conversion use a D44 axle? You're right though, should be cheaper in the long run.

Found this one in VA. Rebuilt engine at 200K, now has 244K for $3500. Ad doesn't say diesel or gasoline. I question buying a van with a rebuilt engine.
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3165577083.html

desertspeed

Adventurer
http://www.fiatusaoflakeside.com/us...per+Duty-3dc997c50a0d048d00893bd67c164bf0.htm

$5998;2003; V-10; 113K located in Michigan. I have no information on the V-10 engines; ie, longevity, durability, power...Looks like a nice van though.

Thats looks like a pretty good deal. I have done a bunch of research on the V10s over the past couple of weeks since I started looking into them. From what I have been able to find, they have pretty good power although they take a bigger hit on mileage than the diesels do when towing. They like higher RPMs than the diesels. The earlier models (not just the v10s but many of the 2 valve modular Ford engines) had some issues with the spark plug threads but Ford increased the number of threads to 8 for the 2000 model year. As mentioned above the v10s got the new 5R110W (Torqshift) trans in 2005, before that it was the 4R100W which is a pretty good trans with lots of aftermarket support, but not as good as the 5R110W.

Keep in mind that many of the class C motorhomes were built on the E350 cutaway chassis with the V10, so there are a lot of discusions about reliability, milage, power, etc on the RV forums, and I have been reading everything I can find. Overall, the vast majority of V10 owners seemed to be very happy and said they would go with the V10 again.

desertspeed

Adventurer
Found one :wings: A little older than I was looking for, but for the price I could not pass it up. 2000 V10 15 passenger with only 52K miles on it for $5,500. It was used as a maintenance van for a string of Burger King franchises, and when they bought new vans they gave this one to one of the managers. It has a hydraulic lift in the rear (which I will remove and sell) and a wierd partition behind the second row of bench seats which looks like it is just bolted in to the seat and seatbelt mounts, so it will come out as well. It also has brand new BFG Traction tires which I should be able to sell for some extra $$.

Here are a couple of pics from the seller. I am not picking it up until Tues so I will post up some more next week. Just need to sell my Silverado and then give Chris a call to start ordering conversion parts :)

Attachments

• 5G15Q55Ja3F43mb3Jbc7u1f79af7f3af21aa0.jpg
    5G15Q55Ja3F43mb3Jbc7u1f79af7f3af21aa0.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 5Ic5V55H23E23Ff3Hac7ua9f74470a8701b7d.jpg
    5Ic5V55H23E23Ff3Hac7ua9f74470a8701b7d.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 5L15Gc5Hb3J43Nb3lec7ud25506e566ab1e02.jpg
    5L15Gc5Hb3J43Nb3lec7ud25506e566ab1e02.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 26

Forum statistics

Threads