(FOUND)Trying to find a build/trip report: Ford Escape Road Trip

balexander87

Observer
A while back, I came across a thread/blog where a guy bought a used Ford Escape (FWD, no less!!) for super cheap, fixed it up and drove it all over the place. Like 10's of thousands of miles out west. Many places he went, you'd think a vehicle like that would have no business going.

I came across the story in the context of a discussion arguing that you often don't need as much as you think to get out and explore. I failed to bookmark the story and cannot, for the life of me, relocate it. I can't remember if it was on this site, or another, but I'm pretty sure it was at least linked to from here somewhere.

If this rings a bell for anyone that knows where the story is, I would appreciate the link!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
And of course.... 20 minutes later I stumble upon it...

http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30661

Sorry…. I’m not buying it. This is clearly an elaborate hoax, perpetrated by a highly skilled photoshop ninja. Fake News!!!

It is well known in the overland community that epic adventures like this should not be attempted, nor is it even technically possible without using a fully built Range Rover or Landcruiser, with thousands more spent on specialized gadgets, gizmos, gee-gaws, and festoons.

This “alleged” outing is a master class in “how not to have an epic adventure”. This sort of “Drive what you got” mentality must be quashed once and for all.

I hope you all learned a valuable lesson here. Now get back to designing a roll cage for your 2m antenna and a snorkel for your Bose 15.1 stereo system. Sometime in the next decade you might actually be ready to take your rig out for that long dreamed of lap around the mall. ;)

Drive what ya got!!! :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Is that yours? That looks great!

ExD, That's my baby. Thanks for the compliment. One of her greatest attributes.... she's paid for.

Hopefully one of these days I'll start a build thread for my Ford Escape e/x (economy/expo). Keepin' it simple.

I've been diggin' your Allroad build. It's nice not being the only "weirdo" on the forum. (Us soft-roaders have to stick together for safety). :ylsmoke:

ExDementia

Adventurer
What are you waiting for? Start a thread, man! You've already got enough done to it to start, along with what look like at least a few solid trips out with it. I'm digging the Sparcos on there!

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Nice rig fugitive, I like what you've done with it.

I had some adventures in an Escape I used to own. Not a bad vehicle by any means, and surprisingly capable. It teaches you to use driving skill and focus on wheel placement and momentum control. Mine got me well entrenched in preferring the SUV platform and started me off into off road and back country exploring.

I thought the world of it while I had it, and was sad to see it go. But that said I haven't missed it one little bit since moving on to more dedicated 4x4's.

RIP Escape, wherever it may be now...
m9DV3ZUKVrpkZJXJ5SlMWuJIGHMydxTLn-3EnJuIfA7QifmuBte0yPl6EJoeNaUI_1JWF9215IE3y3csjui19-KrCEcvls5YSi33gFEZCYXrDvg4NM5QnDcsB-l5XlkZu4qI2ygws9mLfcV9brialTzJCfSNDCv8bhuXS-QLdL9NJsfpW7BsMLN2jMTCm7XknmDjj9Pigx0HAJSfOTjvzh5iZJWWszHsjGpA9Vt7qheG3uaoYfN366P3FdHXR-9V8QrxO_b_yGHP5AiMnsHEoFIs83HGBVD2Hh2gS5frv3PXGxJlSbaN1hXF9piCLCxbMLkcVPjkiaN5rBErIiFvKNlhbSmFVlAEszzeouYH8z-Gq8WueyMMXPxA3-J_PomEqjQAqLRaMlNwhhI1yE9sll17WhTc8S3_Q0lqWVaFrIgbTL-6VhDgbovkTiq1DCWv-amerRR7o4zZxgTCvgVZH5-NTdiWi2xpZdwlZ4HivvHDh6YWEXQuS-gFPFAbnL8KTv77r09ja30GAEUFW06rAKcK58I_EpZRH42foiNUnHD25c8EWfTcZ1eFo-dBFXSB1gIRsCemw9EDRu_ZTzzq5Fo9Sse88IAV6vFa7WRh3XBh5JB95JiW=w800-h600-no

ExDementia

Adventurer
Well, you have pretty much publicly shamed me into it. I'm out of excuses. ;-)

I was looking at it being a large project, but it makes more sense to do small regular installments. It is also a huge time saver that expo does the web hosting for the pics.

I'll start digging through my pics and see if I can get a thread started.

TR

Nice! Yeah man, you don't need to do anything crazy to have a build thread. That's the cool thing about them is that they live forever. Update it here and there over years if needed! It's also a great place to catalog and share your trips out.

Looking forward to seeing it in here

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
I couldn't agree more!
I sold my Boss 302 to get my wife into a more reliable daily driver since I'm out of town for weeks at a time (well that and the Mustang was starting to have annoying issues).

Until I find either another Mustang or maybe a 4Runner or Tacoma (who knows), I'm driving her old '02 Escape while she sports a new '16 Rubicon JKU.
Since I started daily driving it last July though, I've actually began liking it more (although its still only temporary lol). I fixed a couple issues it had (alternator, tie rods), threw on some H&R stiffer lifting springs (>1") and it'll go anywhere and do anything, city and beach related at least! I mean it is still a 200hp 4WD SUV with a lockable 50/50 split between front and rear that has larger than OEM A/T tires (just minus a low range).

IMG_1168_zpslo63xfdx.jpg

IMG_1024_zpshnp42oii.jpg

That being said though, it isn't a Jeep but is a respectable softroader with >10" of centerline ground clearance.

OuterLimits

H&R Ford Escape +1" Spring Lift.

...threw on some H&R stiffer lifting springs (>1") and it'll go anywhere and do anything, city and beach related at least! I mean it is still a 200hp 4WD SUV with a lockable 50/50 split between front and rear that has larger than OEM A/T tires (just minus a low range).

IMG_1168_zpslo63xfdx.jpg

That being said though, it isn't a Jeep but is a respectable softroader with >10" of centerline ground clearance.

AggieOE, I’ve seen your rig before. (Escape-City?) Digging that more aggressive stance! Sweet!

What shocks /struts are you using?

Any alignment problems?

Wear issues?

Thank you

Last edited:

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about an increase in CV wear since it's only ~1-in of change. I haven't measured the axle but it can't be a crazy difference in angle.

The ride is great though! I have KYB struts up front and new OEM Motorcraft shocks in the rear. The only thing I would change is different shocks in the rear due to travel length. Whenever turning into an incline ramp from flat, I'll hear and feel one of the rear tires get airborne. I would have tried something like Koni as I've seen another escape use them before for that purpose.

Other than that, its a good ride. Stiffer than stock for sure which is great! Even though my shocks and struts were old, the Escape still drove great even before I replace the suspension. So, its not like i'm comparing old to new. It really is stiff and sportier feeling. Feels like modern day SUV. Hec, It's way stiffer than our brand new Rubicon.

Oh and alignment issues, none. Then again though, since Houston streets aren't the best, I try to get an alignment every 6 months.

OuterLimits

Whenever turning into an incline ramp from flat, I'll hear and feel one of the rear tires get airborne.

That is an interesting side effect to the lift.

It really is stiff and sportier feeling. Feels like modern day SUV. Hec, It's way stiffer than our brand new Rubicon.

That doesn't surprise me. I heard the H&R spring is shorter than stock, yet lifts one inch over stock. Gotta be stiff!

Thanks for the info

Last edited:

jpat30

Adventurer
@ Fugitive,
What happened to your thread you had started? I loved that thing. It was so funny and well written...I was reading through it and closed out the forum to run an errand then came back because I was going to comment and it was gone...I was like what the heck..haha. I too believe in the run what you brung philosophy of exploring. As long as it gets you off the sofa and out into the world, who cares the make or model. Keep up the good work and have a great weekend!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've often thought it would be fun to run something like a FWD Escape or Vue or CR-V. Simple and cheap. Plus as near as I can tell, every Escape or Vue I've seen with a manual transmission is FWD - I don't think I've ever seen an AWD with a manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior