Found This Space Saving Antennae Idea On Another Site I Visit

"Tape measure" Yagis have been a thing for a while. They are extremely directional, in that they send all your radiated RF in the direction they are pointing. They work very well, especially when paired with handheld radios that have very limited power, such as a 5 watts or less radio.

It wouldn't be practical to mount such a thing on a vehicle, mostly because vehicle radios have enough power behind them that you don't need the directionality of the Yagi design in order to make contacts. Vehicle radios often have 35-50 watts of power available, so even though you are sending nearly all your RF away from the person you are trying to contact, enough of it goes the right direction such that you are able to make contact.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I use one during the local VHF contest where I operate as a roving station. Furthest station that was participating was just over 40 miles and I didn't have a problem working him on 5 watts.
(old picture, old Jeep)
VHF contest.JPG

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I use one during the local VHF contest where I operate as a roving station. Furthest station that was participating was just over 40 miles and I didn't have a problem working him on 5 watts.

There's also a group that likes to bag mountain peaks and contacts in the same trip. There are a few videos of guys working 5w handheld contacts from some tall peaks and hitting really extraordinary distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior