Found a nice deal on Hella lights.

asteffes

Explorer
Susquehanna MotorSports, a.k.a. rallylights.com, is having a holiday sale. Lights over $150 (before any tax and/or shipping) are 10% off. I think I might have to order me some Rallye 4000s for the Taco! :rolleyes:

You guys with pre-'05 Tacos may also like to know that they stock the factory foglamp switches, in case you're after a factory-like installation.

asteffes

Explorer
I received my lights today. *wow* these things are huge! I didn't realize just how enormous the Rallye 4000s really are. Can't wait to set them up. :)

asteffes

Explorer
With any luck, I'll have pictures of the lights and my roof rack stuff after this weekend. :) All the parts are sitting on a shelf in my den!

I'm debating pulling the HID retrofit out of my old Audi (the RS2-spec headlights use H1 bulbs, just like my new Hella 4000s) and installing it with the 4000s. That would be pretty wicked, but I'm not sure there any good way to cleanly seal up the thick wires for the xenon capsules as they exit the lamp bodies. We shall see...

asteffes

Explorer
Ok, this sucks...

So I was playing in the garage today, looking for a good spot to mount the 4000s. The spot that I thought would be perfect, on the bumper in front of the grille, won't work at all with these gi-nor-mous lights. The light housings are waaaaaay too deep. My Hella 500s would be perfect, though.

So I'm thinking of returning the 4000s for a set of FF1000s or the Rallye 4000 Compact kit, both of which are much shallower than the regular 4000s. If anyone is interested a pair of 4000s with clear covers and the Hella wiring harness, drop me a note. I just want to recover my cost of $250 altogether.

I think the 4000s are much too large to put on the shell roof rack. They would light up the night like no other, but the wind drag would be pretty awful, I imagine. And they would look sort of silly up there. If anything, I would put the 500s on top and the 1000 or 4000 Compacts on the bumper.

Also interesting, there is a very small strip of metal behind the upper part of the '05+ bumper which one can bolt lamps to. However, it does not extend out to the vertical face of the bumper cover, and extends only halfway out in the horizontal plane. Point being, the bolts for any bumper-mounted lamps must enter the bumper very close to the grille, leaving little room for the lamp housing to extend reward toward the grille. It's too bad they didn't extend that metal bit all the way into the bumper cover, as it would allow for more mounting possibilities.

On the bright side, I was quite successful in removing my mudflaps today. No more horrible crunching sounds when out on the trail. yay.

Scott Brady

Founder
I had a similar problem. The Hella H4000's I have were so deep, that they would not bolt into the ARB bumper mounting holes. I had to drill new holes. The wires then passed through the original holes.

Your truck is really coming along nicely. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles