Foul weather and mud gear.

DzlToy

Explorer
Sorry to hear on the Lowa's, Bill. I bought them from REI and I am a member, so if they wear through as you say, they will be going back for repair or replacement. I could have them re-soled, but IMO, that is not something one should be required to do, for many miles.

I will check out the Durands, but the Lowa's have already been purchased. From where did you purchase them?

EDIT: I seen that Durand is not a brand, but a model of KEEN boot. Sorry, not a fan. They also say "American Built or Imported" and "Made from Domestic and/or Imported Materials" - found different verbiage on different sites. Just FYI if anyone is looking.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
One thing I noticed this weekend after it rained was my Vibram soled Zamberlan hiking boots were a royal pain to hose off. I had to use a screewdriver to scrape the mud off. My wife's cheap Colombias rinsed right off. I wonder if some sort of release agent is in the rubber on some boots. I wonder how those Durands would compare?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Sorry to hear on the Lowa's, Bill. I bought them from REI and I am a member, so if they wear through as you say, they will be going back for repair or replacement. I could have them re-soled, but IMO, that is not something one should be required to do, for many miles.

I will check out the Durands, but the Lowa's have already been purchased. From where did you purchase them?

EDIT: I seen that Durand is not a brand, but a model of KEEN boot. Sorry, not a fan. They also say "American Built or Imported" and "Made from Domestic and/or Imported Materials" - found different verbiage on different sites. Just FYI if anyone is looking.
I got the Lowas from REI. They were comfy like slippers for a while but wore out very quickly.
REI said it was normal.
REI did take back the older model of Keen that I had ----- they said that they were notorious for falling apart. I mean, they burst at the seams after a month.

The Durands are a departure from older Keen design as far as structure. No EVA, something that my physical density tends to destroy....
They're very solid. Also have a generous toe-box and I have wide feet but not high-volume feet. Which I find terribly hard to fit. I'm a 14 wide in most brands for my forefoot but that makes the heel and ankle part of the boot huge.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I just looked at my Musto bibs (pants) and they are made in Poland. I beat the hell out of them for years racing sail boats and they could pass for being a week old. Gill makes good stuff as well as Helly Hanson, Lloyd and Mustang Survival if you want professional gear. Most camo and REI type gear is a cheap ripoff. These are the britches I use and would recomend but you have to find closouts and sales in a search to justify the cost. http://www.sailingproshop.com/Products/Musto-HPX-Ocean-Trousers-SH1670__SH1670.aspx
Personally I'd buy genuine DuPont Gortex fabric sewn up in Timbuktu over inferior fabric sewn here. It's basically the only fabric that works and breaths under hard use in any condition. The rest are fine for a while but its when your stuck in the rain for days you will see the difference. Basically you can put it on wet and dry out under it. Most don't get it but the guys that play in the spray know it.

+1 on the Musto gear. I worked my way up to Musto gear when I was racing sailboats. Can't beat it.

Also agree that Gore-Tex fabric sewn where ever is better than junk fabric sewn here.

DzlToy

Explorer
I had not heard of Tretorn, but had the other two in my notes already. Helly Hanson is a mixed bag, some items are made in China, but not all. Tretorn customer service in California was not sure if there were any products still made in Sweden. Their sneakers and wellies are made in China according to some online vendors.

Lundhags has a "custom" line that is made in Sweden, but I am not sure about their standard products.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers.

EDIT: I received this from Lunhags in the overnight-- Materials for pants and jackets come mainly from Korea, production is in Vietnam and Baltic countries. For shoes Portugal beside Swedish production (custom shoes only)

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Verkstad said:
The wellies I currently have are made in Canada by Acton.
& remembered as a kid I had a pair of Nokias, dont know where they are made now days...

Did not have Acton on the list, thanks.

Some Baffin Boots are still made in Canada. Nokian boots are made in Serbia and Slovakia now. I spoke with the US Distributor and she was astonished that I would prefer an original pair made in Finland, over something "new" made in Serbia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke