Forgive my ignorance...

joelwho

Adventurer
Can a Group Size 35 battery be jumped from a 60 AGM solar battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

verdesardog

Explorer
The solar battery might not be robust enough to use as a starting battery but it should have enough boost to help recharge a dead starting battery enough to start a vehicle. Real deep cycle batteries are not meant for large loads.

joelwho

Adventurer
Cool. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I have a jump box, but it weighs 18lbs. I'm trying to cut weight in the rig for a big trip in a couple of weeks. Wondering if I can ditch the jump box. Not sure if it's safe to do so

joelwho

Adventurer
Yep. That's on my wish list, already. Just wondering if I could use what I currently have and save the $150. But I realize $150 may be worth the peace of mind

joelwho

Adventurer
Whats the capacity of your "60 AGM Solar Battery" ?
Does this mean 60 amphour or is it a group 60 AGM battery?

If its deepcycle 60ah AGM, it might work.
Variables include just how dead your group 35 is, how quickly your motor will normally fire up & and the ampacity of the jumping connection.

Yes. Deep cycle 60Ah AGM

It's this model:
http://www.vmaxtanks.com/SLR60-AGM-Solar-Battery-_p_43.html

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
any agm battery should be able to jump it, the bigger the better. The little jump pack is just a 17ah agm battery. I have a small 28ah agm battery that I have actually used as a start battery on my astrovan, used it for several days with no problem.

Even if for some reason it wont jump it (cause the wires are too small) , just connecting a full agm to a dead battery for a few minutes, maybe 15 minutes, can bring the dead battery up to where you can get at least one good crank.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
None of those silly little jump start packs are enough for a big diesel.

I know, I've tried. Even the ones that state they are.

Simply isnt enough amperes available, nor are the leads large enough to supply enough juice.

I have a large truck battery bank (dual 1000CA batteries) and a decent 200+AH deep cycle bank for the camper.

So instead of worrying about a jumper unit, I have my solar set up in such a manner that I can charge one bank (truck or camper) or both at the same time via solar.

It also allows me to draw from both banks when starting the vehicle. Which really helps in sever cold temps, when EVERY amp counts. :ylsmoke:

joelwho

Adventurer
any agm battery should be able to jump it, the bigger the better. The little jump pack is just a 17ah agm battery. I have a small 28ah agm battery that I have actually used as a start battery on my astrovan, used it for several days with no problem.

Even if for some reason it wont jump it (cause the wires are too small) , just connecting a full agm to a dead battery for a few minutes, maybe 15 minutes, can bring the dead battery up to where you can get at least one good crank.

Awesome! Great info. Thank you for your input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles