Forgive me if I'm drooling...

kcowyo

ExPo Original
jgolden said:
Would you guys agree that a Unimog is the best U.S. option for worldwide Expedition Travel?

While I think they are extremely capable, for me personally they would draw too much attention. The last thing I want when I'm out & about is a bunch of people stopping me and asking questions, taking pics, etc.

It's a personal thing, but I'd rather blend than be bold. But the Mog pictured in the first post is a sweet looking beast. :punk03:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Robthebrit said:
They are your only options if you want to get parts inside North America. Outside the US there are lots of trucks that are servicable worldwide. To name a few: Mercedes, MAN, Volvo, ERF, Iveco, DAF. The Japanese heavy trucks have the same problem as the US trucks, in that they are not used worldwide.

Rob

Rob,

When jgolden said:

jgolden said:
...best U.S. option for worldwide Expedition Travel?

I interpreted that to mean a vehicle you can obtain/own/register in the US and use worldwide.

If he is a US citizen, then anything in your above list less than 25 years old is not legally importable, and anything >25 years old is, as you pointed out, pretty much unserviceable.

Right?

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
How long is a piece of string, only you can decide whats good for you. In addition to the typical servicability and capability you need to consider:

Will you sleep inside or along side your vehicle?
What type of terrain in the best case? Tight jungle trails or open desert?
Are you willing to setup a tent everyday?
How much fuel do you need?
Are you supporting other vehicles?
How many supplies do you need?
How many people, kids, dogs?
What type of protection/security do you need? (from people, animals, the elements etc).
Unleaded and ULSD may not be avalable so what type of fuel will you have access to? Will your engine burn it and still be reliable?

I think a lot of people get offroading and expedition travel mixed up. Typical expedition travel is dirt roads and hundreds of miles of washboard like roads. Not much in the way of capability but every now and then that capability is needed such as when getting out of a dry river bed - these 1% situations are where the mog excels. Expedition travel is more about durability that outright capability. Unibody vs cab over is a question that needs to be asked, I have pictures of a new dodge that drove across africa and at the end of the trip the doors would not close because it had been twisted so badly.

You are not taking a camper like these over the rocks or risky terrain when you are hundreds of miles from help, if you did or were forced to you'd be suprised at how well they perform and how stable they are.

Rob

jgolden

Adventurer
You all have very good points and great advice. For me personally, when the time comes to purchase or build a vehicle for worldwide travel I'd go with a Unimog over a Fuso. I'm sure a Fuso is very well capable but it just doesn't have the appeal (or price tag!!!) of a Unimog. The 16" wheels, smaller tires and dually setup is the biggest drawback IMHO. I do like the look of a Fuso with the Super Single conversion, (like these:http://www.expeditioncampers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=418) but that's taking it away from stock. A setup that many people frown upon...I've read on this site and www.ruf-inc.com as well.
I do agree in the fact that being "stealth" is the best way to go, but I want the most reliable, capable, strongest vehicle I can find. In worldwide adventure travel I feel you should use your vehicle to 75% of it's capacity, not 125% of it's capacity.

Back to original post.....I found out the reserve price of the Unimog on Ebay. Anyone want to guess?:wings:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
jgolden said:
Back to original post.....I found out the reserve price of the
Unimog on Ebay. Anyone want to guess?:wings:

More than I could sell my house for, unfortunately.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I Really like the simple solution of sticking a delivery truck box on the back and just building in and around it!

I don't know why I never thought of that! ......somebody hit me with the dum dum stick now please!

I used to design delivery trucks for our furniture stores. I've personally designed trucks with these kind of boxes in mind. Only much longer and larger.

I just kept thinking....RV......RV ....and thinking you had to have something custom built!

Me Likey!!!!! ...........:arabia:

I also really like the idea of living out of my rig....start up in the morning and movin' on! Packing up is so old school!.....hehe

rhodos

Observer
The Mog gives you the assurance that you as a traveler are always far below its limits and if you own an older one with 352/366 engine it runs without any electronics and is servicable nearly everywhere in the world. Hard to beat that.

bye, Werner

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
I Really like the simple solution of sticking a delivery truck box on the back and just building in and around it!

I don't know why I never thought of that! ......somebody hit me with the dum dum stick now please!

I used to design delivery trucks for our furniture stores. I've personally designed trucks with these kind of boxes in mind. Only much longer and larger.

I just kept thinking....RV......RV ....and thinking you had to have something custom built!

Me Likey!!!!! ...........:arabia:

I also really like the idea of living out of my rig....start up in the morning and movin' on! Packing up is so old school!.....hehe

I too thought about using a delivery truck box. I would at least use one side and open up like this so you get alot more room out of it:
EX-Russian-ural12.jpg

Just a thought. Sorry for the hijack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior