Forester vs Crosstrek

phsycle

Adventurer
Any reason why one would consider the Crosstrek vs the Forester? Forester is a little more expensive, but take that out of the equation (I think it's $2k or so). Both are available with CVT or 6-sp. Similar size, but obviously, the Forester is bigger. MPG is the same. Other than personal preference for the styling, any advantages with going to a Crosstrek?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I assume you're not buying new, I think Subaru dropped the stick shift on the Forester this year. We still love our 2017 base level 6MT 2.5 Forester. Tons of space.

phsycle

Adventurer
There are still some Forester 6MT's floating around the dealerships. I just couldn't come up with a reason to go for a Crosstrek over the Forester. I wish I could, because there are plenty of them out there, and for cheaper.

I wish the base 2.5i came with a roof rack. That's the only thing missing. Adding factory roof rails is a very involved process, it appears. So I'm trying to find a Premium 6MT, which seems to be somewhat hard to come by.

DaveInDenver

Adding factory roof rails is a very involved process, it appears.
Adding the roof side rails may be (I think you're referring to needing to pull the headliner since the stock side rails have three feet). But adding roof cross bars isn't tough. On our base model there's captured nuts in the roof under little covers that you pop off, two per side. One pair is towards the front and the other towards the rear.

It's for adding these:
https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-forester-cross-fixed-design-p-1964.html

E3610SG500_2014_FORESTER_FIXED_CROSSBARS.jpg.png

But you can use the Thule Podium feet, which is what I'd recommend.

th460r_2009~subaru~forester_2_1000.jpg

Or the SSD side rails, which is what we actually got (we use Yakima Lowrider towers). This system works fine but is just unnecessarily complex compared to the Thule solution. I figured this was better than trying to add stock rails since I didn't think the stock cross bar locations would work. But turns out they'd have been fine, we don't move the cross bars forward or backward ever anyway.

2014-Subaru-Forester-25i-Rally-Roof-Rails-From-SSD-Performance-Black-Powder-Coated-Stainless-S...jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
How solid is that SSD rail? I looked at them before, but wasn't sure how secure a cargo box loaded with stuff would be. That's the main reason why I would prefer a rail, since I can move the box forward in case there is contact with the hatch.

DaveInDenver

The SSD bars are solid, I'd trust them as much as anything else. When you grab and rock them you can see the roof flexing, so probably the limitation is when the captured nuts or welds in the roof would give up.

phsycle

Adventurer
Perfect. I hate sunroofs, so glad I won't be forced into a Premium. I like the non-tinted windows as well.

DaveInDenver

In town it's high 20s and on the highway it's low-to-mid 30s. Bear in mind I run 5W30 and not 0W20, which costs about 2 to 3 MPG. We're just under 18k on it now. We took it on a trip across Nebraska and Iowa to Chicago last summer with about 10k on it, touched 40 MPG on some stretches with 0W20.

Clutch

<---Pass
In town it's high 20s and on the highway it's low-to-mid 30s. Bear in mind I run 5W30 and not 0W20, which costs about 2 to 3 MPG. We're just under 18k on it now. We took it on a trip across Nebraska and Iowa to Chicago last summer with about 10k on it, touched 40 MPG on some stretches with 0W20.

That is pretty good!

Thanks Dave.

phsycle

Adventurer

Remind me, you're running 5w30 because of the oil consumption issues?

That's really good on MPG. No different than what CVT's are getting.

DaveInDenver

Remind me, you're running 5w30 because of the oil consumption issues?

That's really good on MPG. No different than what CVT's are getting.
Yeah, with 0W20 it would consume about 2 quarts between changes and with 5W30 it's about what I expect for a vehicle, 1/2 to 3/4 quart, per change (about 5K). I run standard Mobil1 synthetic in it and my Tacoma, both use OEM filters.

Don't get me started on the EPA voodoo to get MPG ratings I think is happening. I think they bias the tests to discourage manual transmissions from looking attractive.

Also on 5W30 the engine to my ears sounds less like it's trying to rattle itself apart. But the relative quietness may be in my head because I want it sound better. I'm pretty much positive the start-up sounds better anyway.

screwball48

Explorer
I have no experience with the Forrester so I cant comment on driving one. The Crosstrek is a nice road trip car if you do not require a lot of space. That is the largest drawback to the vehicle. Lack of available cargo space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

screwball48

Explorer
I have no experience with the Forrester so I cant comment on driving one. The Crosstrek is a nice road trip car if you do not require a lot of space. That is the largest drawback to the vehicle. Lack of available cargo space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles