Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

rgc

This is going to be fun!

I have often read threads on this forum, but, this one made me join as I recently bought an 04 Forester X with a stick. Can't wait to see what form this project takes as I want to do much the same to my Forester. By the way Subtle Solutions has the best price (including shipping) on the front skid plate.

rgc

Barry

... Top-flight Subaru rally cars, I believe, actually have a center clutch disconnect that kicks in when the handbrake it turned. Not to mention, the handbrakes are hydraulic, not cable actuated.
The dccd centre diff in the WRX. Can get aftermarket controllers to tune and switch as preferred. (e.g. procontroller). OR fit a heavier centre diff (for off-road capability rather than 'rally driving' - but this might require disconnecting the ABS system.

Plated front and rear diffs would also be great for improving capability but can be noisy, and also may not be compatible with ABS.

I'm currently thinking through these options myself!

My '09 Forester

Here is a link to info and pics of my 09 Forester. Includes Subtle Solutions lift kit, Yakima rack, BFG A/T-KO in 215/70-16 and powdercoated wheels from an '06 Forester. Soon to have Primitive skids, King Springs and a few other minor mods. Kick *** off road, goes anywhere I need to. It makes me happy to see how all of the people on this forum are accepting of the Subaru.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/lift-wheels-tires-pics-finally-78192/

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice machine:
IMG_2103.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Our little project is both moving forward and has stalled at the same time. We have a set of Ironman springs coming and are spec'ing out the other (limited) modifications.

BUT

It appears that the engine might have a problem. Ok, a serious problem. So, we will likely be working on an engine swap before all the other goodies get addressed. Anyone in AZ know how to work on Subies? :D

Another question:

We will be swapping out the springs but we would also like to upgrade the shocks at the same time. What are the strut upgrade options that are available?

SuperRupair and King Springs

I don't know of anyone out on AZ to work on the Subaru but I can say that SuperRupair in Boulder has one of the most extensive used parts collections around. They are also just a great resource and are usually happy to answer questions over the phone. Also, King springs makes a heavy duty and taller set of springs for your Forester. Gives about another 1" of clearance and paired with Subtle Solutions lift kits makes a great setup and easy to install. Not sure about struts, sorry!

Jrally

Adventurer
If you want, I can get you in touch with the contact at Bilstein I used for my front struts on the Celica (about $500 for the front pair, but being able to send them back for revalving and rebuilding is priceless). They can custom valve you a set for the abuse of off roading, just like rally suspension would be done. There is also a guy in the northwest JVL as well as Barrett Dash also doing Bilstein custom rally struts on Subies. There is a company called HotBits, they make several levels of custom struts, good company, have thier DT2 struts on my rally Open2wd rally car.
As for Subi engines in AZ, might give Rich at Dyno-Comp a call (8295 E. Raintree Dr., Suite A Scottsdale, AZ 85260) 480-596-0500. They specialize in high performance, but he might have a good idea who could build up a reliable/strong N/A too. (tell him Jon Rood sent you his way)

-Jon

Scott Brady

Founder
Trust me, the idea of turbos and huge intercoolers dance about me head, but this is just not the right vehicle for that.

We will likely just install a factory replacement motor or a low mileage Japanese take-out, etc.

We will know more about what is wrong in a few weeks.

Jrally

Adventurer
Rich might still be able to help you out finding a good price on a lightly used N/A engine. Just a possible lead anyways.

-Jon

Last edited:

blupaddler

Conspirator
Great choice Scott!

I had seriously considered the Forester after I sold my 80. And my build intentions were exactly as you stated.

Oh, and knowing you, I am sure it will get driven like a rally car...
:sombrero:

Good luck with the engine.

madZJ

Observer
Trust me, the idea of turbos and huge intercoolers dance about me head, but this is just not the right vehicle for that.

We will likely just install a factory replacement motor or a low mileage Japanese take-out, etc.

We will know more about what is wrong in a few weeks.

3.0 H6 would be ideal I think.

Frank

Explorer
I have owned several subies and some if my friends have had subies....between myself and friends about 15. All but 1 blew up. Some of those were grocery getters, some were just short of full blown race cars.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the back left (as you are looking under the hood) popped.

Part it out and move on.

Nasioc is a great forum to turn your attention to for help. Also, dirty impreza.com

Edit:

Actually, I'd probably suggest just turning to dirtyimpreza.com. They are hard core rally guys and after going back and reading this thread, those guys will have your answers. I think it's Jackson rally that built a subie for the baja.

dirtyRU

It's mainly the front bullbars that may be worth getting shipped, although would be costly. The custom offroad front and rear bars made in Australia for the Subarus are second to none. No one else does them near as good.

This is my mate's rig. If this doesn't get you going, nothing will.
p5300021800.jpg

p5300022800.jpg

Sorry to see he (SKT- as i know him) had to sell it! Fortunately, it went to a good buyer & the guy is/has been active on ORS. Def. went to a good owner! How many other forries do you see out there with the H6 in it? None! :smiley_drive:

Plus, when it comes to Forrys, the Aussies get to have all the fun. Much more popular out there so its A TON easier to find stuff for them. That Subaxtreme Bull Bar will cost you a fortune to get over here. Subtle Solutions & Primitive are your best bet. You can find the king springs, sump/diff guard, & 1" body lift here in the states. For this project, you should talk to the guys at www.offroadsubarus.com , they can give you the best insight on what the limits/ possibilities of what you could do without going the custom fab route is.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke