Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

E.J.

Explorer
Subscribed and stoked:elkgrin:
If you haven't already check out offroadsubarus.com for a ton of great dirty subi stuff. Primitive skidplates and dif guards are the real deal in 3/16", they also sell lift springs. Subtle Solutions make really nice 1" strut top spacers though a lot of folks diy these.

Scott Brady

Founder
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. It will most likely be a 35mm coil lift from Ironman and new struts. We will then install 215/75s or 205/85s

Skid plates will cover the soft bits

Barry

Mild off road mods on my 05MY Outback

E.J. put me on to this thread, so have finally subscribed - long time lurker.

I had pretty much the same objectives as you in relation to my 05MY manual Outback.

You can see my mods here: http://offroadsubarus.com/showthread.php?t=1078

Mods as listed in the 'wish lists' in the early posts are mostly now complete. Primarily just the front bar and lower low ratio gears still to come.

I would recommend subtlsolutions 1" strut lift and 1" longer King Springs.

Whiteline rear camber bushes corrected for rear camber. Yet to fit whiteline lower front camber bolts to return front camber. (You would be able to use Whiteline adjustable top hats, which don't fit my model Outback.)

Also happy to recommend building rear swing mounts as I have. They are no hassle as a shopping trolley, and discourage tailgating!

ABSOLUTELY concur with those who suggest mating to the older manual box with the old - lower :drool: - low ratio gears!

Paladin

Banned
I assume you're talking pavement, yes? Many drift WRX's through turns in the gravel, why thats half of rally.

Any surface, even ice. It's not easy to make a stock Subaru kick the tail out. They tuned in pretty massive understeer.

Rally cars are a whole other matter. They would have changed the swaybars to make it more oversteery right off the bat. Top-flight Subaru rally cars, I believe, actually have a center clutch disconnect that kicks in when the handbrake it turned. Not to mention, the handbrakes are hydraulic, not cable actuated.

4RExpo

Very cool! I love the Forester and the Subaru company. Will be watching this thread and can't wait to see the build.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Scott,

Excellent post. Suscribed! :coffee:

My wife and I used to own a 98 Forester when it was first introduced here in the USA; many years of reliability and great family hauler/camping vehicle to the snow/mountains with better mpg (vs our LR) and AWD.

Was going to trade it in for 2nd Gen Forester 2003-2008, but instead decided on 2005 Honda Pilot w/AWD (due to better towing capacity) to tow our 3500 lb boat.

Now i have a Land Rover that I can use for towing, wouldn't mind considering Forester again - pretty much same reasons you stated.

Will keep the LR for more diff trail use, but the Forester will be ideal for daily driver duty, long family trips, and better mpg.

In addition to safety, the Forester:
- Takes regular graded gasoline. Plus on the cost side, and places like Alaska has fewer stations that serves prem gasoline.
- Our family dog is getting older (hitting 10 years) and getting up the rear cargo will be eaiser as he gets even older.

My questions/concerns are: What RTT option is avail for this vehicle? Improving lighting for desert driving at night e.g. Movaje... - what after market options are avail? Also are you expanding the research for 3rd gen Forester 2009+? I test drove a 2011 XT Touring, and the grin is still on my face! :bike_rider:

Thanks!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Three teams entered Foresters in this year's Dakar rally. One had mechanical problems on stage 4. Another team withdrew in mid-race because of a death in the family. The third team finished in 15th place, 25 hours behind the winning VW factory team.

subarualvarez.jpg

The 15th place team of Argentinian Lucio Ezequiel Alvarez is privately funded. They were the highest placed Argentines in the car division.

Here's a 30 second clip from Youtube of the Alvarez team in action

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Hey Scott,

Nice Forester. I recently picked up a 04 xt that has most of an STi swap. These are great cars, and really capable, and quite under rated. I worked on Subarus for years, if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

-Kevin

My ride:
IMG_7088.jpg

Applejack

Explorer
Any surface, even ice. It's not easy to make a stock Subaru kick the tail out. They tuned in pretty massive understeer.

Rally cars are a whole other matter. They would have changed the swaybars to make it more oversteery right off the bat. Top-flight Subaru rally cars, I believe, actually have a center clutch disconnect that kicks in when the handbrake it turned. Not to mention, the handbrakes are hydraulic, not cable actuated.

Sorry to hijack,

I have done hand brake turns in our WRX on gravel and have had zero breakage.
However I will concede that on dry pavement this would be bad JuJu.
This could easily heat up the viscous coupling and lead to an early death.
however in low traction situations the drivetrain won't give out first, it will be the snow or dirt that your tires spit out when you disengage the clutch. My neighbor who is a Suby mechanic agrees, but adds the caveat " I wouldn't make a practice out of it, but a few hand brake jabs here and there in the dirt isn't going to do anything."

End hijack!

Sweet! Crank this puppy out, everyone will want one. Raise the resale of my Forester! 180k on the clock, might trade up to a newer one.

Actually to be honest I dont know if we could part with it. We are very fond her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online