Forest Sevice Hotshot Crew Truck.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Lived out of one for a few seasons. We beat it to DEATH!

Still had no qualms about hopping in and driving to winnemucca on a moments notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You can set it up as a RV to avoid the weigh stations and port of entries. I talked with one guy who had one of these and had it registered as a RV to avoid the DOT.
That picture you posted of a Ukonom hot shot truck is from near where I grew up, my sister still lives in Orleans. I used to work on some of these trucks for Six Rivers National Forest, the crew haulers are called crew buggies while the big 4x4 crewcab engines are called engines.

Trestle

Just picked up one of these that was used by the Sacramento district in New Mexico. Trying to find any maintenance history, manuals, FS operator manuals, etc. so I know some of the idiosyncrasies about this vehicle. Perhaps even hook up with a former or current operator for a question/answer over a beer or other beverage. Things like when you hit the Mode button in the transmission, if that performs the normal function (economy shift mode) or is adapted for powering the PTO/other. What the PTO actually powers (guessing the rear air conditioner, as I do not see anything else yet), and other questions I may not even know I have until I stumble upon them.

On a positive note, we travelled just over 1000 miles from Phoenix to Boise without a hitch. The FS really did a good job of up-specing these things with the high power/torque engine, heavier duty transmission, rear locker, larger fuel tank, air seats, air ride, and more.

Thanks for any info/insights on offer.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just picked up one of these

Remember without photos it didn’t happen

Mode button. If you find the TCM it will have a couple of codes on it. Take those to the local Allison genuine dealer and they should be able to tell you what it is programmed for. I have never seen one programmed for the PTO usually it changes the transmission shift points for power/economy.

This one shows it is 5 speed with 2 different shift patterns. It also shows that it has auto detect throttle so it can be used with various engines.

923046ee4e42ed0d9c42e900d5aff2fb.png

Coachgeo

Explorer
The biggest challenge is that these boxes, like ambulance boxes, are designed to be very structurally rigid so that crew inside could (potentially) survive even a rollover.

Slicing open the top would not only compromise that rigidity, it might make the whole thing fall to pieces, as I’d imagine they’re designed to be tensioned in order to achieve that level of rigidity.

TL;dr I wouldn’t suggest it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
actually a good number of folk have done it without issue. They are members in here too. It is just like a house frame, but aluminum square tube instead of 2x4's. Principles are the same. Weld in a good redesign of the framing in the ceiling structure and your fine.

Trestle

Hot Shot Truck.png
Oh, it happened. 1000 miles of diesel for two vehicles, and my wallet is lighter by a bit.

I'll try to find the ECM for the tranny, and get the codes. Thanks for the beta.

BTW, rear box interior volume on this one: Height 6' 2.5", length 14" 0", width 7' 8" or 7' 10" (can't quite remember that one).

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Saw a bunch of these in action yesterday in S OR on my way home from N CA. I keep telling my wife I'm going to get one of these for our camping rig. Talk about storage!

Trestle

The exterior skin is aluminum. I know because the magnetic tag for the test drive would not stick to it. Not sure about the interior skin, or frame. I believe the frame is actually steel though. I'll hit it with a magnet the next time I am out there to be sure. There will be quite a bit of cutting/welding going on.

Move door to passenger side, button up the rear door, loose some of the boxes on the passenger side as a result, modify others. Build a lift platform off the back up high to hold a moto/2x MTB/spare. Move/modify windows on the rear as a result. If we decide on a cabover, then would raise the roof a bit and add the cab overhang. Re-skin any areas modified, prime for paint. Might do some custom bumper work too.

Anyone have any beta on the correct rim/tire combo for Supersingles for these, I am all ears. If going that route, would like to have the same size rim/tire to be used for front and rear to get both wheels on the same track width. Similar to what I have read about on the Fuso pages. Still doing the research though. Build won't start for a few months.

Trestle

I don't have a hard number. This one has a single 73 gallon tank, and the recommend only putting in 70 gallons due to expansion. Each time you hit a fuel stop the pump stops at either $75 or $100, so I didn't fully top up until I hit an actual high volume truck stop pump. $148 later... Then there is no real obvious point to stop pumping fuel. I made an estimate from the fill up and pumped to that height on the subsequent fill up. My calculations from that came out to 9.83 MPG. I am now using a higher line as there was a lot more headspace. Part of the learning process when you are unfamiliar with these trucks. Next fill-up should give better results, as the line I chose is more definitive.

Also when you pull all of those hills out of Phoenix to Flagstaff in 110 degree heat, it really does not help the mileage. After getting to the top I set the cruise at 61, put in ear plugs, and settled in for the trip. One of the first mods will be to add a lot of 80 mil sound deadening material to every square inch of the cab. There is literally nothing between you and the noise except a bit of plastic, a rubber mat, and sheet metal. Then add dampener on top of that, and re-assemble. The noise is mostly the air intake when you are in the throttle on big climbs. Higher pitch, and wears on you without earplugs. Cruising is not bad though, even without them. Could listed to the radio and all that.

Also think the air filter needs to be replaced, or blown out. That should help with the intake sound a bit. I noticed the intake gauge in the dash was into the yellow a bit. It was fine, until you had to do a big climb, then would go up to about 8. Spent a few years with Humvees in the Army, and never saw one of those gauges so much as move a tick. Of course this thing pulls a LOT more air, so it may be normal. Worth checking either way, and could have changed the mileage a bit as well.

Still learning.

lactic

Just picked up one of these that was used by the Sacramento district in New Mexico. Trying to find any maintenance history, manuals, FS operator manuals, etc. so I know some of the idiosyncrasies about this vehicle. Perhaps even hook up with a former or current operator for a question/answer over a beer or other beverage. Things like when you hit the Mode button in the transmission, if that performs the normal function (economy shift mode) or is adapted for powering the PTO/other. What the PTO actually powers (guessing the rear air conditioner, as I do not see anything else yet), and other questions I may not even know I have until I stumble upon them.

On a positive note, we travelled just over 1000 miles from Phoenix to Boise without a hitch. The FS really did a good job of up-specing these things with the high power/torque engine, heavier duty transmission, rear locker, larger fuel tank, air seats, air ride, and more.

Heard they can leak antifreeze all over your friend’s street...

Cool platform other than that though!

Trestle

Heard they can leak antifreeze all over your friend’s street...

Cool platform other than that though!

Well there is that. It is what happens when you park it on a serious downhill and don't cool it off enough by idling for a few minutes so as not to piss of your friends hoyty-toyty neighbors. Do you have to yell "on belay" each time you walk down to check the mailbox?

lactic

I was always curious how to spell “Hoyty-toyty”. Apparently, I have arrived to the upper crust of society! Time to get the hell out of here! Haha

Great seeing you and keep posting on the plans and build!

Wyuna

Observer
Would you need to worry about the extra 3 gallons expanding, while fuelling up while on a trip.

From the time you fill up and get 10-20 mins down the road, that extra diesel has been used, before it even has a chance to expand

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier