Fording Depth vs. Snorkel Height

Amphibeast

Adventurer
Snorkel….. I run mine just below the roof line and under the limb lifters for obvious reasons for overhead debris etc… prefilters work!

Snubbers!…. this is the extension on the exhaust pipe to keep it out of the water… stall underwater & you will see why the military ran them!

Breathers… a must if you plan to fiord often & re-grease after after plunge all you lower moving parts!

some electric fans offer "kill" switches so you don't try to chop water… by buddy had his blade come right off on a JK from the fan fork!

I raised my ECM to the glove box in my trooper, seal your electrical, starters & alternator.. some engines you can relocate the alt higher..

Growing up in the desert I tend to swerve into very river & puddle I can when I get the chance! I have a weird sickness for amphibious rigs too!

doug720

Expedition Leader
Disclaimer...I have a snorkel.

On my 60 Series LandCruiser, I have ran a snorkel for more than 15 years. Mine is for dust, as I try not to drive into water that would require a snorkel.

My 60 has a non USA 60 canister air filer housing with the snorkel connected to it. I run the factory Toyota washable paper filter element. This set up keeps the filter very clean, no matter how dusty the conditions are.

If one is concerned about air flow, there are a couple of easy tests to see if you are getting enough air to the engine, with or without a snorkel.

First, remove the air filter top and compare performance with the filters top on.

Second, use a suction recorder - a small gauge that records the maximum amount of vacuum. When I swapped in a Isuzu diesel engine, I installed the stock Isuzu suction gauge to the filter canister. This does two test - first if enough air is flowing, second, if the filter is dirty. Easy and with a push of the button, the gauge is reset.

A snorkel is good for my needs.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I run a snorkel with pre-filter just about roof height, while it is great for that added piece of mind in water crossings it also reduces the amount of dust taken in and also when you get into grassy areas it reduces the amount of grass seeds etc you take in, in Australia the spinnifex seeds get everywhere and can choke an engine... As far as water ingress into the cabin I actually installed 3 1500gph bilge pumps inside my truck n the important sections, all switched on at the same time with the flick of a switch, the main ECU is under the drivers seat in a "sealed" compartment and unable to relocate...so if I can't stop mahommed going to the river then I will stop the river going to Muhammad..

Coachgeo

Explorer
Last couple posters hit the nail much more squarely. Rigs that come with snorkels do so NOT so much for water crossing but for DUST. Air is cleaner above the vehicle. If there was no such thing as tree's that could hit the snorkel I'm sure the manufacture would have put them even higher for even cleaner air.

When MOVING in water the wake surprisingly keeps a good bit of water out of the engine compartment. Well under the carburetor etc. even when the hood is under water briefly. As mentioned other moving parts are below the carb and in the water somewhat thus need addressing; fan for example.

So in the end snorkel helps most with DUST and when a dip in the water includes a stop. All air breathing and venting lines that could end up below water line should be sealed to keep water out in a stop and exhasted above water line. Some military trucks vent a good number of things into the air intake even.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Former tanker should appreciate that a high intake is also a good way to avoid sucking a buttload of dust from someone ahead of you in convoy.

/being a desert southwest guy, first thing that comes to mind.

MLu

Adventurer
The disco has it's intake in the wing somewhere. I crossed a small stream on a beach and dipped into the bottom of the stream rather violently due to a bit of a misjudgement. The water around everywhere but exactly there was never above mid-tyre, but dipping the nose into the deep part had me in water to the front of the hood for a second. The front bumper hit the bottom, so it was pretty sudden. Later on I inspected the air filter and turns out it clearly had gotten wet. In this case, having a snorkel at hood level would probably have been enough, but had there been just a bit more water then at hood level all it would have done is sucked in more water than it had time to do from inside the wing. I used to think snorkels are either unnecessarily hardcore, or a result of trying to look unnecessarily hardcore, but after this little oopsie I'm actually inclined to get one just for insurance, in case some unassuming little puddle turns out to drop deeper or sharper (edit: or the driver be dumber) than expected.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My first truck a Zr2 S10 met it's fate in a water hole. There was still a couple inches of the 31's poking out of the water so I didn't think I was that deep. I didnt realise the air intake on those trucks was just below the top of the bumper. Spun all the rod and crank bearings. Rebuilt the engine in shop class. I stay away from water/mud now.

EDIT
The engine never stopped running, the oil turned to milkshake.

Last edited:
I hate the stigma attached to running a snorkel. Like has been said I want to run a snorkel as protection from water and cleaner air. My problem is with 7.5 liters of engine to feed I need at least dual 4 inch with dual filters. I have found a carburetor air box with dual inlets either 4 or 5 inch. That would solve the problem of finding a place to mount something like dual UMPs or Donaldson's.
Someone else might find this handy.
http://www.ramairbox.com/models.html

Dake21

Adventurer
Depends on how much you drive in dusty conditions? Here in the Southwest US, lots of dry, dusty roads, so IMHO, it helps.

The only benefit I see is a longer life for your filter. Unless I'm missing out on something I think it's a pointless modification in the case of dust. Filter are cheap and easy to change.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The only benefit I see is a longer life for your filter. Unless I'm missing out on something I think it's a pointless modification in the case of dust. Filter are cheap and easy to change.

Ever drive through several miles of 6-12" deep "moon dust"? Dirt the consistency of fine talcum powder? Dirt that billows and flows around the vehicle with all of the dynamics of a boat moving through waves? Your eastern seaboard experience is not the equal of all the conditions in other parts of the world. A snorkel may be of no use to you in the Maritimes but in the deserts of the southwest, with dust, dirt, and storm swollen streams they are worth their weight in gold.

rayra

Expedition Leader

Have you never been in a desert, Mr nova Scotia? Yes, you are missing all the abrasive fines that your filter is also missing and which will chew the guts out of your rings and cylinder bores over enough time / abuse. Talcum-fine - and finer - grit that gets in everything, gets through closed windows, coats the inside of your air box BEYOND the filter. That chokes your filters and screws your fuel-air mix. Gets in your ears and eye sockets. Coats everything like a frosted donut. Crunches between your teeth as you eat. Frankly, your supposition is utterly wrong.

Dake21

Adventurer
Have you never been in a desert, Mr nova Scotia? Yes, you are missing all the abrasive fines that your filter is also missing and which will chew the guts out of your rings and cylinder bores over enough time / abuse. Talcum-fine - and finer - grit that gets in everything, gets through closed windows, coats the inside of your air box BEYOND the filter. That chokes your filters and screws your fuel-air mix. Gets in your ears and eye sockets. Coats everything like a frosted donut. Crunches between your teeth as you eat. Frankly, your supposition is utterly wrong.

Sounds fair. I've seen plenty of dirt roads but no dry desert, no. Dust getting in your engine cylinder sounds pretty bad and the snorkel would be an asset I believe. In my case however, it's not a necessity unless I want to go in deep water but then I would need more than just the snorkel. Anyway, I appreciate your explanation Mr. desert :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior