Fording Depth of...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I was thinking that it might be helpful for there to be a resource for factory fording depths?

For me, I'm needing the info for these vehicles

2001 trooper -
2007 FJcruiser - 27.5"
2012 Subaru Outback -
2013 Jeep JKU - 30"
Jeep Commander - 19"

Maybe copy my list and add your vehicles factory fording depth?

I was noticing that my engines openings are quite high up and sealed well, and that my ECU is well sealed and as high up in my engine compartment as possible. It's probably about 4' off the ground with weatherpack'd connections and a soft epoxy seal around those wires.

Need to find and extend the breathers for my axles, tcase, transmission, but I was happy to find that my Trooper's motor is fairly squared away.

Last edited:

doug720

Expedition Leader
Remember you are in California, so it's non issue as we are in drought and have no water to ford! :sombrero:

1stDeuce

Explorer
I think it might be noteworthy that factory fording depths are generally taking two things into consideration: 1: The vehicle is likely to get zero maintenance from the normal owner after crossing water, and 2: the normal owner is an idiot when it comes to driving through water, and will likely go WAY too fast... thus many of the factory listed fording depths will be very conservative, and suggest something like "you should never drive through standing water deeper than the center of the wheel".

To my knowledge, Jeep is one of the few companies to actually assume some level of competence in it's owners. XJ's and TJ's had a 30" fording depth at 5mph max. Looks like a JK does as well. I would think Toyota and Isuzu would do the same, just as a carryover from places that it really matters.

Generally speaking, you can also add your lift height and half the tire size difference you're running from stock to still get a conservative estimate of "safe" fording depth. Also generally speaking, this number is fairly useless. If you're OK with checking fluids after deep water events, you can go a LOT deeper, generally limited by the air intake level, as any computer outside the vehicle is VERY well sealed. YMMV with computers inside. (FYI, a 1st gen Pathfinder has the engine computer mounted to the floor under the pass front seat, and it is NOT sealed.)

Hahaha, I just went and got the manual for my '06 GMC Sierra... Here is an excerpt from "Driving in Water: "Find out how deep the water is before you drive through it. If it is deep enough to cover the wheel hubs, axles, or exhaust pipe, do not try it - you probably will not get through." --Ouch! I must be REALLY lucky... :)

It later says "... stalling can occur if you get the tailpipe underwater. And, as long as the tailpipe is under water, you will never be able to start the engine." Which hasn't really been true since the carburetor went away in the mid-80's. (According to GM, my boat with a GM 4.3L will never start once I back it into the water, since the exhaust is at least 2' underwater...) I'm pretty sure that's the exact same wording that is in the owners manual of EVERY GM product, so they are in effect absolving themselves of any liability concerning going through water. Oh, here, this from the "Driving through deep standing water" section, which is entirely a WARNING: "Never drive through water that is slightly lower than the underbody of your vehicle." ??? Huh? What idiot wrote that?? Sister Mary Margaret would have busted out her red pen on that one in a heartbeat!!
Be interesting to see what the manuals in other vehicles have to say...

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Cool, ok so far we have these:

2001 trooper -
2007 FJcruiser - 27.5"
2012 Subaru Outback -
2013 Jeep JKU -30"

Let's keep it going. :)

Tennmogger

Explorer
Unimog, various models, 1.4 meter from the factory without fording kit.

With fording kit: bottom of driver's nose. :) Actually, I have not found that number yet.

Bob

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Unimog, various models, 1.4 meter from the factory without fording kit.

With fording kit: bottom of driver's nose. :) Actually, I have not found that number yet.

Bob

Excellent. Can you be more specific about the model/year etc and then copy and add it to the list?

(For example the U5000 'mog is listed at 800mm(31in), I think, which is different that your listed 1.4m)

98dango

Expedition Leader
I grew up in Oregon and Washington so lots of water. My 90 wrangler with 35s at the time and an open element air cleaner on the SBC under the hood could spend 2 hours in water over the hood if I drove between 5-8 MPH. If I hit 10 it wood flood and die under 5 same. I checked diffs weekly never had water and no extended breathers. Now my super duty is a vacuum if I get over my 35s I have to change every thing.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
And then there's these guys.....

I drove my XJ with slightly larger than stock tires and budget boost through about 30 or 32 inches of water several years ago and got hydrolocked. It was my own fault though, I should have made it if I wasn't so stupid. My #1 problem was the open element K&N air filter, and #2 was when I drove in I kinda gunned it too hard.

30391_116994965010239_6399784_n.jpg

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
FYI, a 1st gen Pathfinder has the engine computer mounted to the floor under the pass front seat, and it is NOT sealed.

However, the wiring harness is long enough to easily relocate the computer to the glove box lid, Where it is sure to distract (especially female) passengers from the smell baked on clay and scorched sneakers.

Eric S.

Adventurer
2001 trooper -
2007 FJcruiser - 27.5"
2012 Subaru Outback -
2013 Jeep JKU -30"
Jeep Commander - 19"

Maybe it would be best if you keep updating the list in the original post.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94