Ford vs the other chassis vans?

Photobug

Most of the RV or Van I see happen to be on a Ford Chassis. I have owned two Explorers over the years and two Dodge Trucks, one of which is my current ride. It is very hard to find anything for sale nowadays and I am looking to keep it to 1997 or newer with a Ford Chasis, making it even harder. Some of the Vans I see and like are on Dodge or Chevy Chassis. I tend to lean towards Ford as i seems there are more resources for them but if I found a layout I liked is there any concerns with certain years of Dodge or Chevy? Will it be harder to make either of these a 4x4?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Dodge vans never had a frame so yes, they'll be harder to convert but nothing is impossible. Some GM vans are frameless too but I'm not a good resource for what yrs/etc. You see more Fords because the platform is easier to convert.

billiebob

Fords are popular because they market to the RV industry more than Chev or Dodge. Ford has over the past 20 plus years pretty much cornered the market. All 3 offer great products but if you are an RV builder once you commit to the Ford or Chev or Dodge chassis...... putting the same RV onto or into another chassis is not simply a bolt on affair. 40 years ago Ford, Chev, Dodge chassis were quite similar and the RVs pieces were pretty generic. But today you would need 3 different RVs for each manufacturer. The economies of scale end up with 1 manufacturer dominating the market.

On long term servicing, Ford Chev, Dodge will use the same generic pieces. Furnaces, fridges, water heaters, generators..... everyone can pick the same appliances so servicing, reliability of the RV portion should be independent of the chassis choice.

Last edited:

Photobug

Dodge vans never had a frame so yes, they'll be harder to convert but nothing is impossible.

Dodge conversion sounds like a nightmare, to the point, I would just stick with 2wd if I went Dodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles