ford van camper turbodiesel/biodiesel

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
1985 E250 Clubwagon 6.9 Turbodiesel van.

we've decided to slim down the paddock of vehicles..the 09 unlimited wrangler didnt hardly ever get driven..and even with TONS of room it just didnt have enough for all our gear and the twins/oldest's stuff too...

so...its the vans turn...replaced over the weekend with a 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 doublecab shortbed..

some people here followed the interior strip-down and refurbish this winter..and the camper mod so it can be used for daily driving and spur-of-the-moment camping/boondocking!

specs...

1985 Ford Factory diesel 6.9 IDI (turbo is a banks kit aftermarket)
147,000 miles..(engine's are KNOWN to run 300,000)

6.9 with an upgraded rebuild on the turbo (newer oil seal/intake housing and built by scheid diesel in terra haute,IN in 09)
C6 auto that shifts FLAWLESSLY
4in exaust
new BB injectors matched by Type4 on oilburners.net
new Injection pump custom built for the turbo (type 4's specs)
injector return-line kit with VITON o-rings for biodiesel
2 new 31 series batteries (big-rig batteries) (napa warranty)
true 3 core aluminum radiator with lifetime warranty (have paperwork)
new power steering pump (advanced auto)
ON-BOARD AIR vivair 350 with 3gal scuba tank storage and outside accessable airchuck fitting..gauge/wiring all vivair kit and right at drive door sil.

interior
2 large steel storage lockers for food/storage (lockable and have key!)
carabiner strip for hanging storage (holds our hiking packs)
new carpet and wood portion for cargo (stained and oilbased polyeruathane
new Gauncho (slide out bed HUGE STORAGE underneath!!) queensize and firm 4in memory foam (never slept on YET!..have covers being made)
(4 screws and whole gauncho comes out for 6ft of open storage in the back!)
new foil-bubble insulation on walls/doors and floor
sound deadener on all walls/floor/doors (doubled under front seats and doghouse)
turbo gauge (banks)
DIGITAL EGT Pyro gauge with memory
Live oil and temp gauge (sunpro)
4 captains chairs..middle ones swivel
pioneer radio with remote (mp3 and Ipod compatable) new sony speakers and 2 10in subs built into gauncho..sounds good
power windows/locks
tilt/cruise
Brake controler
AC needs charged
new rear heater core (warranty advanced auto)
triple 8in fans for airflow/camping
cupholders,cupholders,cupholders and storage EVERYWHERE!!
LED Blue mood lights (dimable with dash lights)
LED WHITE entry and courtesy lights in footwells and inside gauncho storage

in the last 2 years (12,000 miles)
headlight switch and hi-low selector switch
new master and brake booster
new front calipers and hoses
new rear wheel cylinders and rear hardline
kingpins (balljoints) done by S&S heavy truck shop in Mt. Perry OH
all the steering linkages (tie rod ends/draglinks-NAPA)
rubber hoses/heater hoses
rubber fuel lines all new.
new 285/75/16 BFG COMMERCIAL TRACTION TA tires
new American Racing Nitro polished aluminum wheels (dont use chrome cleaner on them!!..will stain the rim!)

this winter I also built front and rear bumpers out of 5/16 plate
rear has large weatherproof storage box thats designed to store camping flamables and double as cooking surface
front bumper has superwinch 9000lb winch (cable is used and could use replacing one of these days)
euro-projector headlights
10ft roll out awning (deluxe awning from JC whittney and has screenroom availabe thru them)
new triangle windows with better seals (not perfect..but doesnt leak or whistle)...
new window seals/guides/felt
new drive window motor (need to clean the switch it sticks sometimes)

I have not ever scrimped on her...Ive hauled 10,000lbs behind her and she did great with the weight...she will run waste veg oil/waste motor oil (both filtered to 1mic..new Injection Pump hasnt had ANYthing other than diesel run thru it always had Diesel Power Service added to every tank!)

does great in the winter (has factory block heater too!!)..heavy duty brakepads and E rated tires! her paint is FAIR...it has some little spots...I did go thru and clean it up many years ago and didnt quite get the color white right..but its solid thru and thru!!

I bought her and used her to haul my 4x4 truck and quads..camped in her alot before the new interior was built this winter..but with the twins and the wife wanting someplace to stand and cook we decided to get a truck and slide in camper...I really enjoy driving the van..it has more than enough power and can be tuned up for even more!..she's a head turner and I hate to get rid of it..but I cant justfy having it sit in the side-yard and just get dusty..

your welcome to come drive her and have my wife convince your wife its awsome..

8am-10pm Tony seven four zero-605-3150

lookin to get $5000..

pictures..ALOT...
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd124/wanderer351/van/
yes...the winch does get used..so does the front bumper!
100_3650.jpg

100_3651.jpg

100_3652.jpg

100_3653.jpg

DCP_8510.jpg

DCP_8515.jpg

dcp_8517.jpg

camp setup
100_3469.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads