Ford V-10 Owners: Trans Coolers, Oil Coolers ?

bajarat

Explorer
Soon to be transforming a 23' E450 Class B+ RV with a UJoint 4x4 conversion. RV is a 2003 Triton V-10. Wet weight will be about 12,000 lbs.

I have no experience with this motor. Is an aftermarket trans or oil cooler needed?

I ask because this rig will see bad road / rough road use at slower speeds with the torque converter not locked-up thus generating more heat. Any experience form the membership here?

Any other things to consider for the intended mission of this rig WRT to the V-10?

Thanks !
BR

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Since you have the 4R100 transmission I'd strongly recommend a cooler.
If you had a newer rig with the 5R110 I would say no need.
Motor has little to do with the decision.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Engine oil coolers are usually needed more if worked hard and spinning fast. Doesn't sound like you will be adding much stress in that area above what the motorhome already was.
Transmission coolers are needed to cool the heat generated by an unlocked torque convertor. Run low range when you can, use real gearing instead of the torque convertor to make your driving torque. That will really help keep the transmission cool. But not going to oppose an additional cooler as well. Keep the in radiator (water is a great heat sink with you lack air flow) and put the cooler before the radiator so hopefully the in radiator cooler doesn't have to work hard.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
As for the engine oil temps, why not see what real world testing shows first. The Triton 6.8 V10 is a very robust engine. I used to tow my 31.5ft travel trailer up and down the east coast and never had any issues with heat or vehicle performance.
Towed with 00 E350 7.3- needed a trans cooler. And my 05 E350 V10 didn't need anything other than a gas station.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
As for the engine oil temps, why not see what real world testing shows first. The Triton 6.8 V10 is a very robust engine. I used to tow my 31.5ft travel trailer up and down the east coast and never had any issues with heat or vehicle performance.
Towed with 00 E350 7.3- needed a trans cooler. And my 05 E350 V10 didn't need anything other than a gas station.

That about sums it up right there! Great engine; were I to make any mods to my van a bigger fuel tank would be first on the list. Right now I'm packing extra fuel cans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles