Ford Tremor Fighter...2022 Silverado ZR2

D

Deleted member 9101

Personally, other than powertrain strength for my use case, I would rather have million-mile reliability and a century of spares availability

than any post WW2 features

roll up windows, no aircon, no radio, no problem.

Too bad the free market does not supply such preferences.

Sorry...some of us prefer not to be drenched in sweat every time we drive, or have fogged up windows every time it rains, or need a kidney belt to help survive a drive down a dirt road, or die due to a severe lack of safety equipment...lol.

I've had enough older vehicles to know that reverting to where we once was would be a major step back in comfort, efficiency, safety, and practicality.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

I’m all for simplicity, but old cars, even when new, had plenty of problems. And exponentially increased as they aged.

Exactly. Years ago 100, 000 miles was the end of the useful life for a vehicle. Now it's common to go 250,000+ miles with no breakdowns or major repairs.

D

Deleted member 9101

Lol, I think the only window failure I had was a 1977 Impala whose driver door window constantly came out of the track while being rolled up. It was a manual window.

Oh! I did have an '86 Grand Marquis who's power window conked out. After the car caught fire. For the third time.....

Okay. I did also have a '88 Jag XJ6 Sovereign with a power window issue. But... it was a Jag. So it also had many other electrical issues.

Don't recall any radio issues. Had a bunch of cars with A/C and a bunch w/out. I think 1 I had to do a recharge? Wasn't expensive either.

That being said I think Jeep still offers what you're after with the Wrangler. But I be stunned if it lasted a million miles.... My 2000 TJ was junk after 124,000 miles.

I don't think there is enough demand to support a business case for development of a new vehicle like that in the free market.

Only windows I've ever had a problem with were the manual kind ...haha.

Never had an automatic transmission fail.

Never had an A/C fail.

Never had a radio fail.

In fact... As time has gone on and I have aged, my vehicles have become exponentially more reliable and require less maintenance. I can't remember the last time I had to tinker with a carb, screw with points, or adjust valves.

D

Deleted member 9101

Bigger issue is the engine/drivetrain. Modern day emissions complicates bush mechanics.

My truck is a 2017 and lacks the "emissions controls" that caused problems years ago. New vehicles are so efficient that they don't need all the silly crap that they use to have and they still run cleaner.

The hardest part about a bush fix on a new car is the person has to understand the electronics that run it. While they are not complicated, if you lack the proper diagnostic tools (phone, OBD2 Bluetooth adapter, Torq Pro App) it can be a crap shoot if you are trying to solve a problem. Fortunately, new vehicles are so much more reliable than vehicles in the past that road side repairs are not very common anymore.

D

Deleted member 9101

Huh? No turbos, no super charger, much less cooling demand than either a raptor or TRX. You aren't going to get any more simple than that these days.

Turbos and super chargers are not complexed...lol.

john61ct

Adventurer
I was just stating my preference, not saying mod cons aren't reliable. Ugly is fine as well.

And I need to tow 14,000lbs over big mountains.

That IH will definitely pull 14k over big mountains.

Ha, yeah in granny gear...

Everybody complains about all the technology and cost of new trucks. But that is what allows them to have better towing, gas mileage, and of course the creature comforts. If you really want to stay away from all the technologies and frilly stuff, why look at new trucks? For less money, you could get an older truck and go through everything to do a refresh and needed upgrades (brakes, power, fuel efficiency, etc). Just takes a lot of time and direct involvement.

D

Deleted member 9101

Ha, yeah in granny gear...

Everybody complains about all the technology and cost of new trucks. But that is what allows them to have better towing, gas mileage, and of course the creature comforts. If you really want to stay away from all the technologies and frilly stuff, why look at new trucks? For less money, you could get an older truck and go through everything to do a refresh and needed upgrades (brakes, power, fuel efficiency, etc). Just takes a lot of time and direct involvement.

Better yet...rebuild a class 8 truck from the 1970s. No electronics, no creature comforts, no problem towing, and gets the same lousy fuel economy and many 1/2 ton while towing.

D

Deleted member 9101

Will it even tow that in granny gear? And what about mpg? My old friend from HS had a Scout. The thing got 8mpg (unloaded) on a good day. ?
My grandpa towed a ~10k airstream with his Travelall and got something like 6 mpg at 60mph...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles