Ford Tremor - Colorado overland/off-road, or Rivian?

yfarm

Observer
The supercab short bed F250 offers a shorter wheelbase close to the regular cab, is the reason I bought. Ran all over high mountain passes in Wyoming, Colorado and northern NM last fall with the 7.3 towing a utv trailer and had power excess to needs. Tremor package available only on crew cabs. Buy some good shocks, remove the front air dam and put some 285 75 18 tires on the truck. Stop every 4 hours or so for a rest stop and gas after 300 or so miles. Do thousand mile interstate days without a trailer running east to Florida or out west. Just remember to get the blindspot warning system or the 360 camera

1000arms

... 2. I know people love their God-Zillas, but I am only considering the Diesel. I know it's 700lbs heavier in the front. But I don't want a naturally aspirated gas engine while at 8-12K feet going up and down mountains. I want that low end torque. ...
You may already be aware, but the Ford "Godzilla" 7.3L gas engine has pretty good low-end torque.

"Designed for use in the Super Duty F-250 and F-350 trucks and other applications, the 7.3-liter engine pounds the ground with over 400 lb-ft of torque from 1,500 to 5,500 rpm, with the 475 lb-ft peak. Horsepower tops out at 430 at 5,500 rpm. With the right mods its personality could get a lot more powerful." is from:

deserteagle56

Adventurer
You may already be aware, but the Ford "Godzilla" 7.3L gas engine has pretty good low-end torque.

"Designed for use in the Super Duty F-250 and F-350 trucks and other applications, the 7.3-liter engine pounds the ground with over 400 lb-ft of torque from 1,500 to 5,500 rpm, with the 475 lb-ft peak. Horsepower tops out at 430 at 5,500 rpm. With the right mods its personality could get a lot more powerful." is from:

Yes, it does...at sea level.

At 12,000 feet, not so much. That's where turbochargers make a huge difference. I can't even imagine what driving an "Ecoboost" 7.3 gas would be like, after experiencing how easily my 3.5 Ecoboost handles high mountain passes.

1000arms

At 12,000 feet, not so much. That's where turbochargers make a huge difference. I can't even imagine what driving an "Ecoboost" 7.3 gas would be like, after experiencing how easily my 3.5 Ecoboost handles high mountain passes.
I think some people are unaware of just how much low end torque the Ford 7.3L gas engine is capable of, but, it was designed for heavy trucks. However, I can understand wanting to avoid the approximately 36% loss in horsepower at 12,000' elevation. :)

A factory "Ecoboost" version of the 7.3L Godzilla would be interesting. :)

RCP

400 lb-ft =/= 800+ lb-ft offered by newer diesel trucks. I say this with a hint of jealousy since my truck is a 6.4l gas engine and doesn't offer even the same amount of torque that the 7.3l offers. For day to day driving and off-roading I think the throttle response and reduced weight of the gas engine has distinct advantages. But if you plan to tow often, especially at altitude, then the diesel begins to out shine gas. If the Tremor had been around when I bought the Power Wagon I think I would have strongly considered it. With new truck prices the way they are now though I don't have any intentions of making a change. That is unless I can find a 4x4 van that is capable of towing 9-10K, in which case I would consider trading my truck for one!

1000arms

... 2. I know people love their God-Zillas, but I am only considering the Diesel. I know it's 700lbs heavier in the front. But I don't want a naturally aspirated gas engine while at 8-12K feet going up and down mountains. I want that low end torque. ...

I think some people are unaware of just how much low end torque the Ford 7.3L gas engine is capable of, but, it was designed for heavy trucks. However, I can understand wanting to avoid the approximately 36% loss in horsepower at 12,000' elevation. :)

A factory "Ecoboost" version of the 7.3L Godzilla would be interesting. :)
400 lb-ft =/= 800+ lb-ft offered by newer diesel trucks. I say this with a hint of jealousy since my truck is a 6.4l gas engine and doesn't offer even the same amount of torque that the 7.3l offers. For day to day driving and off-roading I think the throttle response and reduced weight of the gas engine has distinct advantages. But if you plan to tow often, especially at altitude, then the diesel begins to out shine gas. If the Tremor had been around when I bought the Power Wagon I think I would have strongly considered it. With new truck prices the way they are now though I don't have any intentions of making a change. That is unless I can find a 4x4 van that is capable of towing 9-10K, in which case I would consider trading my truck for one!
I might have missed it, but, I did read what the OP Zybane is asking about, and I don't think towing anything of substance was was mentioned.

For other people considering the Ford "Godzilla" 7.3L gas engine, I will mention that Ford does use the 7.3L gas engine in the F-750.

GeorgeHayduke

Here's a pretty impressive high altitude pull with the 7.3:
This guy grosses 32k going from Ft Collins to Laramie and that's just with 3.73 gears.

The 3.5 Ecoboost surely is great for short passing maneuvers but I'd take the naturally aspirated 7.3 all day long for sustained loads like towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles