Ford Tremor - Colorado overland/off-road, or Rivian?

ABBB

An all new British vehicle with a bmw powerplant- it’s neat but who wants that headache….

I hear you making a prediction that it’s going to be headache. Could be. Worth keeping an eye on nevertheless, some very talented and ambitious people and firms involved in its development and production. I’m not going to assume anything about it, will just wait and see. They have my attention and that doesn’t cost anything.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I hear you making a prediction that it’s going to be headache. Could be. Worth keeping an eye on nevertheless, some very talented and ambitious people and firms involved in its development and production. I’m not going to assume anything about it, will just wait and see. They have my attention and that doesn’t cost anything.
It’s a neat vehicle, I like the aircraft style interior switchgear- time will tell on quality.

ABBB

It’s a neat vehicle, I like the aircraft style interior switchgear- time will tell on quality.

Concur. The Aussies and Brits get them first, we’ll get to watch for a year from the states to see if it’s worth the investment.

tacollie

Glamper
This is easy - van. Sprinter 144 diesel. Lifted and all kitted out. Massive range with aftermarket tanks, plenty of power to run A/C if you fit a big battery bank. Diesel is plentiful.

I have a lifted 144 with a pop top. My mpg is 14-17.5 depending on speed and head wind. It is an all weather vehicle...and has done trails from the Lost Coast to Bear Tooth pass and places in between. It drives great and easy to lay down massive miles without lots of fatigue.

You want a house on wheels for you and your dogs....so just do it. Either a sprinter or a F250/2500 4 door with flatbed + camper.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I know 9 people who got tired of crawling in their vans on rough roads. They got tired of being 2 hours behind us to get to campsites. That's impressive because I'm usually 15-20 minutes behind the light weight Tacomas in our group. They all went to pop ups in full size trucks. Living full time you can't beat a van. Exploring for a week at a time on rough roads a truck is the ticket.

Side note. Isn't Mercedes in the middle of a emissions settlement with sprinters?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I wanted to jump on the Sprinter band wagon a few years back but after seeing my friends with them with all of their issues I’m good lol.

BTW, 2021 RAM 3500 CTD on 37’s here and I still see 18-20 at 70-75 on the highway but the Cummins is slightly more efficient than the V8’s.

Last edited:

moose545

I just picked up a Silverado 1500 diesel/ RST. Not much aftermarket yet but I think it’ll get there. It doesn’t have lockers but I think it’ll be fine once I get skids,sliders, and a lift. I wanted a diesel so that pretty much limited me to this, a Cayenne, or a LR Discovery, so I’m going to give it a go with the truck and see how it goes.

Explorerinil

Observer
I wanted to jump on the Sprinter band wagon a few years back but after seeing my friends with them with all of their issues I’m good lol.

BTW, 2021 RAM 3500 CTD on 37’s here and I still see 18-20 at 70-75 on the highway but the Cummins is slightly more efficient than the V8’s.
Yes the cummins is proving better fuel economy. I’m really excited to see what’s next for the new transmission. You have an awesome truck btw, I’m just upset you don’t post more pics, lol.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yes the cummins is proving better fuel economy. I’m really excited to see what’s next for the new transmission. You have an awesome truck btw, I’m just upset you don’t post more pics, lol.

I miss things about my Ford's, mostly the cab and interior but I have to admit that I'd probably take the Cummins every single day over the Power Stroke at this point and that's the main reason why I have a RAM now and not a Ford. This doesn't mean that I won't have another blue oval vehicle in the garage in the future though.

Thanks for the kind words, she's nothing special but she's slowly getting there, I have just been swamped with work and life in general the past six months so I haven't been able to dedicate much time to bolting everything on just yet. Add in the worldwide delays on "everything" and the fact that I am still waiting on some key components to move forward on parts of the build and it's safe to say that one can see why I am behind. I have made some changes since the original build plan but nothing drastic, well maybe lol, but I do plan to eventually do a build thread sometime later this year.

phsycle

Adventurer

How much does your cab configuration play into this, would you say? Curious, since you have a regular cab. If compared to a crew cab with same mods, would there be any difference in fuel efficiency?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
How much does your cab configuration play into this, would you say? Curious, since you have a regular cab. If compared to a crew cab with same mods, would there be any difference in fuel efficiency?

I can't imagine much seeing how my truck weighed 7400lbs stock. I know of others with short box double cabs with same tire size seeing similar numbers.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker

I got just under 20 mpg driving my crew cab Cummins on 3" lift and 37s from Colorado to New Hampshire. My weight is roughly 8500 lbs. I'm pretty happy with that.

bTC8heTh.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The quad cab Rams are about 400# heavier in a shortbed configuration than my regular cab 8'. My buddy and I have weighed them plus in California the unladen weight is posted on the registration. We have '07 2500 5.9's. Our fuel economy is very similar.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Sprinter van would give you much more comfort (both driving and camping), mpg and much shorter (with 144WB). 4WD is decent (plus ARB real locker available). But much better driver than any full size truck. Go drive one...

Electric battery technology is poor at best. Off road you'll be lucky to get 50-100 miles range (especially crawling on rough terrain). New technology will be coming and make these current vehicles obsolete (and worth much less).

You can't beat the Super Duty for the durability and build quality. However, go drive a 7.3L before getting stuck on the diesel. And you can add a supercharger if crazy power is needed. AUX fuel tank will be desired on any "overland" type rig. After adding large tires and weight your fuel mileage will suffer. And who cares?? You're building a 100k plus dollar rig. Ridiculous to worry about fuel cost.

Super Duty frame is fully boxed. Extremely rigid. We can fully flex our truck suspension with a 3k lb camper in the bed without any visible frame deflection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles