Ford Transit Quigley vs Sprinter 4x4?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
Importable from Europe, ex German Fire brigade Ford Transit County (I think - not sure if the Germans got the full County treatment):
Ford Transit Allrad
€8,900
First Registration: 05/1986
Mileage: 25,000 km
Power: 57 kW (77 PS)
Colour: Red

Manual, diff locks (F,R and C by the looks of it) and a bog standard engine. Talk to the Aussies and some of the 1970/80s Ford 6s fit in with a bit of massaging...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That has a whooping 77 HP gas engine... 13 HP less than a Pinzgauer. Bet getting parts wouldn't be fun.

Glider

Regarding tire size on Transits--in a recent conversation with Quadvan, John told me that changing the tire size on a Transit can have serious warranty implications. According to John, there is no way to re-calibrate the odometer sensor to accommodate the new tire size. If a customer does something to the vehicle that results in incorrect odometer readings, Ford will void the vehicle warranty. Period. At least, that is what Quadvan told me. Definitely worth looking into before swapping out tires.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
^^^I don't believe that for a second. There's a way to program modules now but it isn't easily done. A simple plug-in and press a button solution just doesn't exist...yet. It will happen. I'm sure of it. ;)

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I feel like quigley's top prerogative is keeping Ford happy and keeping everything within warranty (which makes sense). They're not interested in creating the most capable 4x4 conversion, they're just interested in the 4x4 conversion that Ford will warranty. I still can't believe they use lift blocks in a $13k conversion.

How do they calibrate the speedo for the difference in rear end gears? I'm with MG, there's gotta be a way. I'd be willing to bet that with 4.10 gearing and the ecoboost (a combo that Ford doesn't offer) you can get dead accurate speedo readings with a larger tire. I'm not saying that it wouldn't void the warranty, but I don't usually factor in warranty work on my vehicles since I never buy new. If, on the other hand, I did buy a new van, I'd want to stay under warranty as long as possible.

It'll be exciting to see where the transits go once the warranty period wears off and they pop up used for a good price.

Gravity

Observer
Has anyone actually spent any time behind the wheel of a 4x4 Sprinter AND a Quadvan/Quigley Transit at all? May need to make some work related vehicle changes in the not too distant future. Built out SMB EB51 interior isn't going to be the ideal work vehicle layout....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I've driven a 4x4 sprinter briefly, and been in it as a passenger a fair amount. Ive never driven a 4x4 transit, but i like the drive of the sprinter more. There is a lot more ground clearance on a 4x4 sprinter. I also like tgat tge aprinter is available in the high top and the swb combo. The bummer is all the electronics in a sprinter and the fact that only a sprinter dealer can service them. (And remember that not all Mercedes dealers are sprinter dealers).

Gravity

Observer
Thanks for the input SixStringSteve - definitely not going to be an easy call that I may have to make, but my absolutely dialed 7.3L SMB w/ 6"Ujoint conversion just doesn't have the sheer cargo hauling capacity that I may need for upcoming work responsibilities with the complete interior buildout already in place. If I could easily gut my rig and start over from scratch that could be an option but the Penthouse is the other hurdle. The shear height of the tall Sprinter or Transit would make my life so much easier schleping a fleet of bikes etc...... if only the transit had room for real size wheel/tires it would be a no brainer decision. Agreed on the electronics/service side of the Sprinter vs Ford. We'll see what the upcoming months have in store for us and if my beloved Agnes may need to go or not...
Cheers
-d

D1L

Hey Everyone,

I am totally new here and have been into overlanding for years and doing less n ow. So sold the Rovers (bad choice and expensive but fun). I have been more into staying in one place once out in nature for trips. So I sold the rovers and have been using my 2015 F350 for the last year and a half trying to decide on the rig I plan to invest to be ideal.

I have done over 3K in trips including (20 percent needing 4wd traction) in a 2014 and 2015 Sprinter 2500 170" Crew van 4x4's. I am always the DD as I don't drink and friends do that own 2 of these. Pretty good but the turning radius with the 170" wheelbase was brutal on gravel service roads with snow and ditches on the side. Once in we always got out with proper gear but a pain and time consuming..... but when no turn outs available had to do it. The 35/65 sounds good enough until you crest a hill and need the front to pull you over the ice capped crest from the days sun. When they were the only tall vans with 4x4 they were ideal for what was available (tired and too old to be bent over in my old 2006 Econline) and need to be able to stand up to load up bikes, boards and gear etc.

MB Sprinter Advantages:
-4x4 and crew set up ideal
-Available now and from the factory not 3rd party after even if Ford approved (That can change quickly once they do something the mother-ship doesn't approve of)
-More fun choices and additional features Front sensors from factory (Even though once a front bumper and winch applied not usable so not for me)
-The image if that matters at all (actually a negative for me)
-Larger wheel wells and less altering to add a decent sized wheel only shorter length was an advantage (except off-road advantages of tires lost on the 170" length since Ford 148" in extended length has shorter WB)
-2500 Crew Van 170" 4x4 hold their used value really well with limited supply ( could change with a couple factors to come........ first is the new factory in the US and increased production, second the 2018 redesign will -drop the value of the 09-16 models and the drop depends on how much they change or improve the rig, finally the increased numbers converting Ford, Dodge (bad design with low clearance on rear axle and) and odd looking but option of the Nissan ( even if limited it is still an option). Still an advantage for now! COuld help as quality could get worse and make the 09-16 like the the pre 09 versions for reliability (funny how perspective changes a situation from bad to not as bad as "X")

The main reasons I choose a Ford Transit 2 weeks ago was ( Reasons for the real users of 4wd and not those who are on all the other sites and the pavement ponders who want 4wd for those few days of snow these may think they need it to sit inside and say they could go out if they wanted to):

-Can get the tallest version and still be 4wd (Sprinter Crew Vans in 4x4 only mid height) for more room to store equip with more
-True 4WD with lockers of my choice
-Mechanics and parts available in virtually every corner of my travels
-Parts and service much less$$
-The durability of real truck parts not Sprinter relying on the computer (had ours fail twice.. MB mechanic said easy software reset..... I asked yeah but not 20 miles off a paved road in the snow or mud)
-Waiting a few months for the perfect rig worth it as a rush for the limited capability Sprinter now not worth 100K to me when same price months later better rig?
-148" wheelbase on the longest version way better in ground clearance when getting out there or back home ( 170" on Sprinter okay but long as my 172" 1 ton truck that is lifted with 35" sprinter 33 like stok rig?
-Shorter Wheelbase means way better turning radius for those harry situations ( hell better when at costco loading up and driving arpound all the soccer mom minivans
-Up-fitting is cheaper with more being done (Not to hurt the upfitters but I got a quotes for the Sprinter and Transit for same options and Transit 17% cheaper for same setup) was told from them MB harder and more labor?? Probably just the MB badging makes everyone want to charge you more
-Put here too as more likely to hurt MB resale value as MB 2500 Crew Van 170" 4x4 hold their used value really well with limited supply for now as could change with a couple factors to come........ first is the new factory in the US and increased production, second the 2018 redesign will drop the value of the 09-16 models and the drop depends on how much they change or improve the rig, finally the increased numbers converting Ford, Dodge (bad design with low clearance on rear axle and) and odd looking but option of the Nissan (even if limited it is still an option).
-Having the 100+ HP advantage of the 3.5 Eco Boost over the old MB Diesel?
-The increased torque and ability to tow more the the Sprinter Max of 5K for the crew vans
-Ability to get lower gears in low range over the MB with a not so low range
-Less likely to get messed with outside the US and hassled by the Cops or undesirables
-Less likely to get broke into ( inside US and the world) as the White trash will just see the Mercedes badges and know you have valuables inside as you like to throw money around (I know lifted transit will stand out more but not as much)
-Ford systems easier to break and modify the computer systems as more have access to access ( Sprinter tight on who knows less modifying available and if I did would Sprinter even work on it anymore? Ford Mechanics would)
-NO 2017 model as they are skipping for the 2018 redesign????? (better diesel, HP increase, update the dated design etc) I hate to buy 1st year of a major design chnage especiallly the engine (I know I broke my rule a little with 2015 F350 with the new turbo that year but minor engine chnage and risked it knowing I could chnage it back easy enough)

I have more but don't want to slam MB too much....... As I still love them for plenty of reasons..... just none are practical and more of a lust than a true want or need for adventure. The new 2018 MB coming out next summer (but usually late so fall maybe?). Could have other options but still lacks many needs for off-road as the 170" WB and a glorified pavement running SUV 4wd more like 4wd ish....... Using the TC to get that extra traction not nearly as good as a transfer case with 50/50 and lcker or lockers period. That makes me stay with Ford Transit and hope they will add it as an option for the 2019 redesign?

I spend an insane amount of time researching (wife can attest with the countless complaints to turn off the laptop). Hope this helps others save time a little or add my biased opinion. Again I love both rigs but for real off pavement situations the transit way more capable once set up. Those who don't plan to go where they cell phone loses signal the MB Crew Van for life and toys might be a better option today. Could be a tougher choice later next year after the 2018 redesign.

Cheers!

klp42

^^^I don't believe that for a second. There's a way to program modules now but it isn't easily done. A simple plug-in and press a button solution just doesn't exist...yet. It will happen. I'm sure of it. ;)

VanCompass does a lift for the Transits and fits a 32" or so tire. Their claim is the larger tire drops gearing in a way that Ford can still dial a factory calibration. I have 3.73 in my van, if I fit the 32" tires that would put me pretty close to a 3.31 rear end and the dealer can set it as such. My van has the 3.7 base motor though, I am not confident the truck could pull it comfortably.

I have not done the math here but this seems reasonable. If you already have 3.31 gears you are out of luck as that is the lowest ratio they offer AFAIK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles