Ford Transit Quigley vs Sprinter 4x4?

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Sixstringsteve - I think your gonna have a hard time letting go of your E350 when you realize how much it can tow compared to newer vans, at 6500lbs your choices become very limited.

Yup, we may have to downsize our trailer. In the right combination, with the ecoboost, you can tow 7300 lbs. That's about what ours weighs now. so we'll probably end up having to downsize a little.

Even more than the smaller tow capacity is the limited ground clearance.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Yeah. My current 4x4 van can tow 10k. The NV doesn't give me anything I don't have already, though I think they're neat. I like the big, tall box sizes of the sprinters, promasters, and the transits. The transit is the only one I'm interested in right now, I'm just trying to weigh if I can get one to tow what I need, and if it'll have the ground clearance I need.

I was never able to get over the look of small tires on the Sprinter. I just don't understand why they are spec'd that way even with the intention of using them as cargo vans. Hence I have an E series that will soon have 35s. I am not familiar with the ins and outs of fitting bigger tires on sprinters and transits, but I am guessing if there was a way to fit 33s or 35s people would be doing it.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
31-33 inch tires can be fitted to sprinters. Some models will need a lift. T1N vans will need some light trimming of the fenders. I have 31" tires on my T1N with factory mudflaps and a 2" lift. I could do 32/33" if I trimmed a seam and fender lip in the front and ditched the factory mudflaps.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Yup, we may have to downsize our trailer. In the right combination, with the ecoboost, you can tow 7300 lbs. That's about what ours weighs now. so we'll probably end up having to downsize a little.

Even more than the smaller tow capacity is the limited ground clearance.

Not sure where the 7300 is coming from. Here is where I found all of the numbers for towing and the highest number I see under eco boost is 7100.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/16RV&TT_Ford_Transit_Sep28.pdf

sixstringsteve

Explorer
That's correct, 7100 Max with the 3.5, 7500 with the 3.2 diesel. I was going off memory, and I was 200 lbs off. I must tell have gotten confused with the diesel tow rating.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I actually love the look of the sprinters. A buddy has a 2016 4x4 with slightly oversize tires and it looks amazing. In fact, it's what got me thinking about transits in the first place.

It's really too bad the transits have such tiny wheel wells. They'd look great with a 33' tire stuffed in there.

Keyne

Adventurer
Would a Transit with a 4x4 conversion void the factory warranty?

If buying new that would be a factor for me... Maybe just buy a used Transit and convert it or with the Sprinter it would obviously be covered under factory warranty because 4x4 is a factory option. I do love the way the Sprinters look... There is something strange proportionally IMO about how the Transit looks, but that's a minor thing if the rest of it fits the requirements.

Jsweezy

Explorer
That's correct, 7100 Max with the 3.5, 7500 with the 3.2 diesel. I was going off memory, and I was 200 lbs off. I must tell have gotten confused with the diesel tow rating.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I am always hoping the rating will go higher and was hoping some new info came out that I didnt see. I think its funny the 150/250 will tow heavier than the 350. If that doesn't confuse you then I dont know what will!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Dear All,
I was unwilling to wait and for many reasons chose the 2015 Sprinter 4x4 for the tune of about 60K. 3 days in, the roof leaked, the GPS stopped working and the Radio failed. The antenna on the roof was broken. It was replaced a total of 4 times before I got rid of it. The suspension has serious problems and Mercedes just keeps "upgrading" expensive parts that take weeks to arrive from Germany. The power steering hose came off on a mountain Switch back and their response was That doesn't just happen. Weeks later in Colorado, again in the shop for issues with the drive train, the van in service next to mine had the same power steering failure. The mechanic said it happens all the time and no one knows why. They just reattach and refill. That particular unit was out of warranty and got damaged as the guy tried to drive it out of the mountains and caused $1600 in damage and a $500.00 tow bill.
I drove across Illinois and put 5% Biodiesel in the van, Sensors went off and then failed. I called all the dealers in Chicago, Springfield and St.Louis and No one could get me in for weeks. When I explained I was living out of this as a camper van, and needed to get to my Grandmothers 90th birthday party, they said sorry there are too many people ahead of you that also need work done urgently. I was so livid you can't imagine it. All in the van spent more than 60 days of my first 6 months of ownership in some sort of unusable form. Mercedes wanted to avoid a law suit and offered me $4,000.00 as a apology if I signed a waiver saying I would not sue. There are so many issues with the Diesel engine it is not even worth talking about. The Catalytic converter/DEF system failures are widely known. And the 6,000.00 repair is often not under warranty as they feel it is your fault. Disagree, you better lawyer up. I can go on and on about the $10,000 in repairs they made to my brand new van, but I will save you the trouble.

3 things to consider when buying:

1.) Serviceability. How many service stations are their in total across your areas. (ford has more technicians and more dealerships than both Dodge and Mercedes by a long shot.)
How many of those stations have a trained technician on your vehicle and it's major components. In this case, Ford wins hands down with it's gas engines. Ford, Dodge and Sprinter all fail epicly with their european designed diesel engines. On average only one poorly trained factory technician for these diesel engines per location and many locations have none.
Ford Gas engines that are stuck under the hood of many vehicles and most technicians can service them.

2.) Parts: Are the parts made in the Country and/or readily available? The Ford is assembled in Kansas City. It has a warehouse of parts there. The Dodge Promaster is made in Mexico and has no major US hub for parts as they don't know what to stock and are ramping up, many components are still made in europe, as this is a Fiat Ducato re-badged. the Sprinter has a few hubs for parts, and they are back ordered for most by weeks and months. They can't keep up with all the problems that are on the vans, most especially the 4x4, not to mention, mercedes is constantly upgrading their defective parts. Just in the 40,000 miles I did in 8 months, I had 3 different oil filter part numbers. While I am glad they were upgrading to manage issues, shouldn't most of that be done before it hits the production run? Also, the Sprinter is Made in Germany, a factory will be up in Running in South Carolina for the 2018 model year, which is a new engine and a new build. This means most of the engineering chops is being put on making the new design better for 2018, and less on getting this unit right. with the 150.00/hour service cost and parts being obsoleted by a new engine, and complete new model, don't think they are going to keep upgrading beyond the legal requirements.
The Ford Gas Engines are going in everything from mustangs to F-150's and are easy to work on. By the time you add up the maintenance costs/downtime, for the diesel, you will never beat the gas in total ownership cost, even if it was at 5mpg.

3.) Cost and Re-sale
My Sprinter was Legally a Lemon, and with a 56K sticker, Tax, Title and License put is just under 60K, add in the flight in to buy it and we are over 60K. 3 months in, and after more than $8,000 in warranty work for repairs, more than 60 days in the shop, and I was offered a Value of 40K, Mercedes wanted me to take a $20,000.00 hit on a Lemon. The Lemon Law is not your friend. You have to sue them in court and win. No lawyer wanted to sue MB USA as they have a team of staff lawyers who drag out cases for years hoping to run up mileage, get the vehicle out of warranty force you to pay for repairs and keep you making payments. MBUSA has the largest settlements ever awarded in History for these Tactics. They drug out a case for 6 years and are appealing the 3rd verdict. Can you Afford to own a lemon for 6 years while they litigate you out of business? Do you really want to buy from a company whose own opinion of its resale value is so low? This is their own Van, and they offered me 20K less for it. I know some transit owners are experiencing issues, and ford complies with the State Level BBB mediation rules. You have a far better shot of getting out of a lemon with some skin with Ford. Suing MB USA takes years, all while you are making payments and dealing with issues. It sickens me to think they can offer me 4K for the issues and say sorry, only to say we will buy back our brand new defective van at a 20K loss to you, in addition to all your losses as you were not able to use the van for work...

The Sprinter Vans that are getting resold on craigslist, as almost new, are defective, and people buying are seeing why. Dealers are crushing their very own Customers on this. I know a guy who bought brand new, had it in the shop enough to be a lemon, he took the 20K hit, sold it back to the same dealer, who then turned around and resold the defective and still broken van for above retail. He is now Suing the Dealer for Fraud. MB USA is not acting ethically. Before you buy any Van, stop and see what the resale values are, see what the major issues are and can that be hidden or tested for, as this will play a large role in the cost/value. The fact that MB USA fights it own customers for years as opposed to take a loss on a bad product is beyond frustrating.

After Getting Rid of the Sprinter 4x4 (should be $X$) I got a rental High top extended Ecoboost Transit as a rental to test it. 4,000 miles later and not one issue. It badly needs some sort of 4x4 features for off roading, even gravel roads, but mechanically and electrically I have found it to be sound and far more reliable. It does not have the many features that the Sprinter has, but it works, and it runs. Something I can't say for Sprinter. Mercedes Vans #borntorun-intotheshop

I hope this helps. Sorry if this comes off as all rant. I just want others to avoid the nightmare I got into the Daimler Vans and MB USA. Do not buy a Sprinter, most especially the 4x4

A friend has been using a Sprinter for his business for about ten years. His first was nothing but trouble. Mercedes finally acknowledged it had issues and gave him a deal on a newer one. The newer one has been better, but still has a ton of costly and time consuming problems. His have been 2500s and he knows lots who love 3500s.

I'm glad to own a Ford 7.3... I've got a long way to go before I'll have a reasonable down payment for a MB into it (say 10%), and I couldn't be happier with it. Econony may not be as good, but at a $55k+ savings, I can buy a lot of diesel (and upgrades I desire).

Accrete

Explorer
I enjoyed re-reading the thread : )
Still would enjoy having the larger interior volume and ~14ft of floor behind the cab of the LWB Extended body Transit over the ~10ft behind cab in our AWD van conversion. Reading some of the recent posts sharing the horror story of Sprinter ownership I would be so out of my element. My wife and I were always Toyota or Volvo peeps before getting the Chevy AWD. Being neither Chevy or Ford peeps we didn't know what to expect in cost of ownership or quality control. I can say that in ~38K miles of ownership we have had zero issues. A tad of a tangent, I luv WESTY vans, and have had one, but like the Sprinter? our trip planning would include taking notes on VW shops along the route. That thing would break down nearly every other trip out.

On tire size...I forgot I did this silly photo-shop and posted it over at the Ford Transit Forum last year.
Gas millage, who needs it ; )

ArcticTrucks%204x4Sprinter-TransitMOD.jpg

Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier